DVD AUDIO/ DTS/SACD

JetJockey

Hey everyone, Merry Xmas! Not sure if this is the right place to post this but here goes. After getting my Oppo 971H(does DVD Audio) a few weeks ago, I was in a store yesterday that actually had a good selection of Multi Channel audio discs. I thought, hmm, wonder what these "advanced resolution" discs sound like? Well I picked up Michael Mcdonald "Motown" in DVD Audio, LOL, I know, I know, but it was cheap and I wanted to "test" the DVD Audio out before spending $30 on an audio disc. Well, I will be buying lots more of these I can tell you that. I don't have a $500 CD player or DVD player for that matter so some discs sounded alot better than others but, to hear this DVD Audio is really quite stunning, I have never heard the RF83's perform to this level, the bass extention and clarity throughout the whole range is really, really friggin amazing.If the stores selling speakers were demoing with this format they would be sold out of RF83's for weeks! Some Reference DVD concerts such as Eagles HFO and Farewell One Tour, Clapton One More Car, One More Rider, etc are fantastic but on my system, about 80% of what the DVD Audio sounds like. Its really great to have another option for really high grade audio quality for that "near" audiophile experience.

My Daughter picked up The Police Greatest hits in HighRes DTS 5.1 for Xmas, will let you know how that sounds in the New Year.

Hope you all have a fantastic Xmas, Chris.

I work right through the Holidays so have some Turkey and eggnog for me, Cheers.

• Moderators

How do you like the Oppo, I was thinking about the Oppo 981 for HT to replace the Pioneer. I want to use the Pioneer to use with the Harmon Kardon and C lll's for 2 CH. That way I could use DVD-A or SACD on either setup and watch DVD concerts in 2 CH with Clll's or 6.1 with 6 Forte's. It looks like a good player for the price, and it plays everything but the new HD disk.

I just had the 981 dropped at my door by fedex.It's my Christmas gift from my wife so I guess it will be a few days......I have no doubt the video will be good as these players set the benchmark,hope the audio will at least = the Denons.

Hey guys, Have had the Oppo for about 4 weeks. PQ through DVI-HDMI upconvert to 720P on my Sanyo Z5 PJ is really awesome, its incredible for the price compared to players costing 5 times as much. Audio for CD's is about average for a descent DVD player, on movie soundtracks and concerts I noticed a HUGE improvement over my HK DVD22 which cost $100 more a year ago and does not upconvert or do Multi channel audio, you guys will love it.

Cheers