Watching Pearl Harbor DVD Now

synthfreek

I run a video store and would be happy to give you first impressions of yet to be released movies if interested. Although this movie is total Hollywood cheese-fluff it does have some great(and LOUD) sound effects. It's also the first DVD I've run across with a Dolby Headphone Soundtrack(although I've yet to listen). THX certified with a DTS soundtrack(which I listened to). If you can get through the first hour of filler you're in for a treat. There was a great scene that jumped from the very loud explosions and gunfire to a quiet interior shot. Then the bullets were pinging metal left and right...up and down. You could hear them whizzing around in the room. I've made it to a little over the 2hr mark now and the last 45 minutes or so have been non-stop action. The score by Hans Zimmer is a let-down. Yuckorama. Totally sappy compared to his collaboration with Lisa Gerrard(of Dead Can Dance-a fantastic ethereal band that I for some reason never hear mentioned from audiophiles) for the Gladiator score. Another problem this flick suffers from are the subtitles. These are possibly the worst I've ever seen. I have a 36" TV and was struggling to see the subtitles from 6-8 feet away. Horrible! This is one of those to own just to impress HT newbies and maybe laugh at some of the inane dialog between Affleck and his love interest.

------------------

Outlaw 1050 A/V Receiver

Rega P3 Turntable

AMC CD8b CD Player

Toshiba 3108 DVD Player

Klipsch KG 4.2s(main)

2 Dynaco A-10/V IIs(centers)

Cerwin Vega E-706s(rears)

Cerwin Vega LW-12(sub)

Parasound PPH-100 Phono Preamp

Vampire Wire Digital Interconnects & Speaker Wire

i got to tell you that i was not impressed at all with the sound effects at the theater when i saw this movie last spring! i hope the dvd sound effects are alot better..i also thought this movie was too cheesy on the acting too! this movie storyline didnt even compare to the great SAVING PRIVATE RYAN movie in my opinion not to mention the sound f/x were top notch in that movie as well!

------------------

MY GEAR:

YAMAHA RXV795a RCVR

PARASOUND HCA-1500 driving the front speakers

KLIPSCH RF-3

KLIPSCH SC-1 CENTER CH SPEAKER

BOSTON ACOUSTIC REAR CHANNEL SPEAKERS

MIRAGE SS-1500 DIGITAL SUBWOOFER

SONY DVP-NS500 COMBO SACD/DVD PLAYER

PANASONIC VHS HIFI VCR

SONY MXD-D3 MINIDISC/CD RECORDER PLAYER

RCN DIGITAL CABLE TV

Are any of us impressed when we go to the movie theater anymore? I'd almost rather wait for the DVD and watch it on my set-up. When I saw mummy returns, I couldn't hear half of what they were saying, I wanted to adjust the levels. I don't even know if they had a center channel. I'm looking forward to the Pearl Harbor DVD. I didn't think the movie was all that great, but you can bet that I'll buy the DVD first thing Tuesday morning.

Yes Todd I have to agree with you on the idea that it is more fun now just waiting to see the movies at home...people that don't have nice home entertainment systems like we all do here on this posting board probably think they are hearing the movie the way it was intended to be heard..boy are they mistaken..I can actually remember once or twice going to a theater to hear a movie in thx surround a few years ago only yo find it was all being run by teenagers and that the volume levels and the quality was terrible and I had to complain to at least turn it up! I wait now to watch at home like you and I too will be at least renting the PEARL HARBOR movie to at least try to enjoy it more than when i did last spring in that so called THX cinema i saw it in....lol

------------------

MY GEAR:

YAMAHA RXV795a RCVR

PARASOUND HCA-1500 driving the front speakers

KLIPSCH RF-3

KLIPSCH SC-1 CENTER CH SPEAKER

BOSTON ACOUSTIC REAR CHANNEL SPEAKERS

MIRAGE SS-1500 DIGITAL SUBWOOFER

SONY DVP-NS500 COMBO SACD/DVD PLAYER

PANASONIC VHS HIFI VCR

SONY MXD-D3 MINIDISC/CD RECORDER PLAYER

RCN DIGITAL CABLE TV

i have seen the original but not the latest. the latest's DVD is supposed to be the best DVD ever, more technology in it than any other. I am gonna try to go to wal-mart and pick one up. i liked the original and would love to test out that dvd.

------------------

-justin

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150

The new Planet of the Apes is Awesome. Just watched it a few nights ago. Definitely one worth owning. Check out spun.com if you haven't already. Takes some of the risk out of buying DVD's you're not sure about. I've purchased DVD's at Best Buy as new releases for $15.00 and got $12.00 back when I didn't like it. No worse than renting at Blockbuster.

deepdiscountdvd.com is by far the cheapest place I've found to purchase DVDs. FREE SHIPPING & of course NO TAX. Check 'em out.

------------------

Outlaw 1050 A/V Receiver

Rega P3 Turntable

AMC CD8b CD Player

Toshiba 3108 DVD Player

Klipsch KG 4.2s(main)

2 Dynaco A-10/V IIs(centers)

Cerwin Vega E-706s(rears)

Cerwin Vega LW-12(sub)

Parasound PPH-100 Phono Preamp

Vampire Wire Digital Interconnects & Speaker Wire

• 2 weeks later...