K510 Jubilee little HF horn....

sfogg

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Out to 40kHz just to see if it is misbehaving up high. The vertical scale was changed on this one to better see above 20kHz.

All measurements are near field in my theater (dead), fed from the pink noise source in my Audio Control SA3051 RTA. No EQ applied.

post-12845-1381931827276_thumb.jpg

Tom,

Yup, looks that way to me too, which was expected. After I give it a whirl with some CD EQ added I'll post what that looks like too. Should be able to play with that at some point this weekend.

Totally unfair comparison (different horns) but from these measurements at least it looks like the Peavey potentially has more HF response then the 288s.

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/thread/748995.aspx

Shawn

Mike,

"Is the marker always at 500Hz in all of the plots? "

No. The number at the bottom left corner of the screen denotes where the marker is.

The 0 directly above that is the bottom of the horizontal scale. The number on the same line all the way to the right is the top of the horizontal scale.

Shawn

Tom,

The horns you can't really buy on their own, Klipsch sells them with B&C drivers and mounting hardware.

The Peavey was $260 new. Wasn't really sure what to expect from it but from these measurements at least it looks good. Jon Risch (engineer at Peavey) had spoken pretty highly of this driver
on the HE forum over at AA so I figured I'd give it a try. I don't see any terribly nasty looking peaks or things like that. The Ferrofluid likely helps to damp that big 4" diaphragm. The Peavey lit. claims the phase plug in this driver helps focus HF to avoid cancellations in the throat for better HF response. Just based on FR it looks like it could easily handle the 500-8k I run the 288s at. I'll likely try the Peavey up higher or even as a two way though when I get down to listening to it. It may turn out to totally suck ;) but at least so far it looks good.

Shawn

All I would want is the horns, only. B&C drivers? Bah!

As for "beaming", in a single-throat exponential or in this case, tractrix, a close-relative with an even tighter flare, yes, I would expect that it would have a tendancy to narrow in dispersion pattern as dictated by the general proportions of the horn walls flare. That is not a CD design, although its rapid, wide flare and very short length would promote a fairly wide dispersion angle even at extremely high frequencies. I would be surprized if the horn in question actually displays a disagreeable tendency to beam.

Ameliorated in some designs, though partitioning, or multiple flares, etc. but never truly rendered moot. It is a matter of physics, and for one tradeoff, there is always another.

Here is the quote from Olson:

It will be seen that up to the frequency at which the wavelength becomes comparable to the mouth diameter, the directional characteristics are practically the same as those of a piston of the size of the mouth. Above this frequency [smaller wavelengths], the directional characteristics are practically independent of the mouth size and appear to be governed by the flare.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

This means that the smaller the mouth, the wider the dispersion for frequencies lower than the l=m ratio, and the narrower the smaller wavelengths become until they match the flare.

DM

oh well, i guess i should just throw away the data.....

roy delgado

Doc----I don't know the 850 but the Radian 475 sounds as good to me as any 1" driver.

I heard 475s at Tom Danley's house on his Unity horns and they were all one could want. Danley said the Radians measured very well. I presume you respect his judgement.

As Radian is an outgrowth of the old "real" Altec and Emilar companies I'd expect the 850 to perform about as well as any other good driver of the type.

There's an interesting recent thread on the Lansing site about the relationship between Altec, Emilar, Radian and Renkus-Heinz.