Out with the old, in with the new (BEC A's with oil caps)

pauln

Thank you Bob,

UPS delivered the A's with oil caps two hours ago. I put in one channel and played a well known record. What a difference between the two! Now both A's have found their new LaScala homes. I need to step out to stock up on a half gallon of coffee - I plan to be listening for the next 18 hours - I am so pleased; the only way to describe how I feel is that I feel younger! Sounds funny, but that is the effect - I absolutely love the sound. I'm just busting with anticipation to hear many hours of my records.

pauln

Yeah, I have heard a mixed bag on the AL-4's and AK-4's, but haven't heard them personally.

Q-Man and I did a x-over comparison a few years ago with AA's, AL's, AL-3's, and Universal ALK's on my La Scala's, and the ALK's won pretty convincingly. The AL's were horrible in comparison. The AL-3's, however, were 2nd in line and then the AA's. This was just a listening test mind you and was not exact science, but to our ears the ALK's dominated the listening session. I preferred the ALK's squawker set at the -6.3db (I think that's it) position.

Mike

The standard Type A crossover has been a favorite of lots of people.  I know for a fact that it has been use to replace the AA, AK, AK-2, AK-3, AK-4, AL, AL2, AL3, AL-4, AB and the ALK type A.  It just seems to be where a lot of people settle out in their crossover upgrade quest.  I have sold more of those by far than all the other crossovers I sell combined.

Bob Crites

Call me a mutant, but in my smaller and lower power use quarters, I've become a big fan of the AA in my Mac 2 channel system. In smaller rooms, the A gets a bit too hot in the tweeter. The AA solves this issue, yet still gives that classic sound of the lower order networks.

I suspect that if I had this kit in a large room (requiring more power to the speakers) that I might prefer the "A" or an ALK design, but in normal sized rooms the AA seems best for my preferences. I like it even better with DeanG versions with V-Caps - the ultimate refinement to the basic Klipsch and BEC rebuild formulas.

As much as I sample other networks, I always come back to the AA.

Are the AL-4's for sale?

I sent you an email, but it came back undeliverable.

Sending me an emaill works better than PM's.

Opps! My email has changed; I'll update it.

Bob indicated an interest in the AL-4's; I'm giving him first rights. If he decides not to take them then I'll be glad to entertain any other offers.

Now I have to get back to listening to my beautiful BEC A's...

Pauln

I wanted to post this trace again. I often hear that the type A is hotter in the highs than the AA and I really can't see how that could ever be perceived that way. If you look at the trace, this is the same crossover with the tweeter output tested configured as type A and AA. The AA clearly has much more power going to the tweeter until you get up to 10 khz or so.

Bob Crites

post-9312-1381931824442_thumb.jpg

Hmmmmmm....

Maybe it's the volume I typically listen at[*-)]. Typically, I am accustomed to the type "A" having more energy in the tweeter....maybe it's the tweeter "ramping up" it's output more quickly in an A vs. the AA??? All I know is every "A" configuration I have ever listened to featured a much more prominent/forward tweeter in the mix. It's the first thing I notice about that network. I noticed that with the BEC convertible versions, too.

It does also seem like the AA wants just a little bit more power to sound balanced vs. the A. The A gets to "balanced sound" very quickly as you turn up the volume.....the AA wants just a bit more juice to sound it's best. Not a LOT more, but it is noticeable.

No doubt the "A" is popular.....I see several who use "A" networks and variants......many with upgraded parts, and by many who have lots of experience here. They hear what I do......that there is lots of good in those old PWK formulas.....and they are made even better with upgraded parts.

Looking at the trace I posted above, the AA configuration (red trace) ramps up the tweeter much more quickly than the type A configuration (yellow trace).  In fact the output of the tweeter at 6 khz is nearly 5 db higher with the AA than with the A configuration. 

Bob Crites

" the AA configuration (red trace) ramps up the tweeter much more quickly than the type A configuration (yellow trace). In fact the output of the tweeter at 6 khz is nearly 5 db higher with the AA than with the A configuration. "

And at 2.5kHz the A is nearly 15dB higher then the AA. 'Hotter' or 'brighter' doesn't always mean FR at the very top end of a system.

Might be a difference in THD or IMD from letting more power get into the tweeter down low. Or something more complex like interference between the tweeter and the squawker over that range boosting or nulling the response.... etc...etc.

Shawn