How to resize MP3 file?

Coytee

I've got something I tried to email to someone. Turns out it's 13 megs in size and got bounced.

Short of driving home, getting my cd, driving back, re-ripping...

Is there something on MOST PC's that would allow me to make a copy and lower the bit rate? I've got Media player on mine but if it's able to do it, I can't figure out how.

It's currently ripped at what seems to be 320 kbps? and I'd like to make the 13 mb file 2 or 3 mb's if possible.

I understand knocking it down might/will make it sound worse. That tradeoff is acceptable though because the flip side is, they can hear a crappy version or nothing. I think if they heard even a crappy version, they'd have a clue if they liked the music.

As an aside, the file was from the Big Phat Band cd that I was going to try to share with someone. I might suggest again that ANYONE who likes BIG SOUND out of their Heritage, to try these cd's. I bought them on a whim (from someones recommendation) and think they are possibly THE best sounding cd's I have to play on the Jubes. Music is good and VERY good recordings!!

I use Audacity (with the lame_enc.dll encoder) and it'll do this job pretty well. From what I've heard the LAME encoder isn't the best even though it suits my needs (voice podcasts). iTunes can certainly do it, too, and the quality might be better.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

Audacity Beta 1.3.2 (Unicode) seems very stable. I've yet to have it crash, unlike 1.3.0

Both of the above are FREE