Chicagoland k-horn help needed!

spaaaz

hey guys and gals a buddy of mine has a pair of 75 k-horns with AA networks and he has never been happy with them since he purchased them new 30 years ago,went over to his house this morning and gave them a listen as he was thinking about adding a sub to them.well a couple of things I noted was that these do not have the rubber seal on the back to seal them in the corners,the networks are original,they deffinetly sound weak without the sub,they are in a finished basement with carpeted floors and drywall and stud walls are out 15 feet apart and are being driven with high quality ss gear.I assured him that they should not need a sub and should be fine on their own,so what I am looking for is someone in the area that might be able to give us a hand getting these to perform at their best.any help would be awesome! 

Is he local? I've got way too much dead time on my hands [;)] I might even be persuaded to drag some measurement equipment around so we can see exactly what's going on. Getting an absolutely perfect seal should have more influence at 300Hz than in the bass response. Sounds to me like a case of room modes and a shreaky squaker.

What kind of music you guys listening to?

My Khorns are in Chicago, in a finished basement, drywall / studs and are 12 feet apart. The last thing they need is a sub.

Mine have a rubber seal on the back spine but its forty years old and not very pliable so I'm not sure how much good it's doing?

If the drivers are all working, I would be suspect of the gear driving them.

If you want to borrow an ST70 and a tube preamp I have a couple here you could try. If hes a die hard solid state guy, I have a Marantz 2285B and some SAE stuff.

The best, Pete

thanks for the fast response so far guys,drwho he is right near me and listens to mostly classic rock,the equipment crossed my mind but seeing as we are talking about a lack of bass I would think that that would be one area that ss wouldnt be lacking

The seal I used was 3/4" pipe insulation split lengthwise and glued to the plywood that butts up against the wall to seal the K-horn to the wall. I also cut out a portion of the bottom to bypass the baseboard on the wall, then applied the seal to that also. I also cut off the projection of the squwaker baseboard to get closer to the wall, then leveled the speakers with those big *** round things you put under furniture to slide on a rug. If your walls are really crooked you will need a bigger seal or a carpenter to straighten out the wall. Otherwise you can make false corners that are attatched to the K-horns and externd out 4 feet past each edge.

JJK

JJK

Khorns are probably down 10db at 40hz vs 125hz. They will sound weak without some some eq. or a subwoofer. Compare the freq. response of the Cornwall to the Khorn. What do you see? The midbass (125hz range) is down 5db compared to 40hz and the Khorn, Belle, and La Scala are all up 5db in that range for a difference of 10db. He would probably be happier with the Cornwall if he's seeking low end output. My homemade speakerlab horns have no backpanel to seal to the corner because there is no benefit at lower frequencies. The drop in low end response is a design characteristic and most reasonable size horns will have it. I used to use a 10band eq. and boost the 30hz range 12db to make up the low end but a couple of yrs ago built a 12inch 250 watt powered sub and it won't quit keep up with the khorns but will add that extra bottom octave missing up to ear shattering levels and that's with a properly configured 3.5 cu ft. sub made with a car sub of the proper specs.The Khorn just will not have the lower octave no matter what you do.

The Khorn bass bin response is good to below 40Hz no problem (with the right crossover). Here's the response using the AK-4 (the most modern):
http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/storage/6/838668/khornlf1.PDF
And a whole thread dedicated to it:
http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/1/836745/ShowThread.aspx

But seriously Spaaz, I'm on break for the next few weeks and dying for stuff to do. It might be a good excuse to hang out. I still owe you one for that receiver too.

I use a sub with my Khorns and love it.  I like classical stuff, esp pipe organs.  Most of the time the sub has nothing to do but well worth it when it does!  I have it adjusted so as not to interfere with the "classic Klipsch sound" (under 40 Hz fill in below the Khorns).

Hi, maybe my hint sounds stupid, but at least it happend to me [:D]
. Did you check the polarity of the connections between the khorn and
the amp and between xover and bass driver?

If polarity is diffent, there will be sound cancelation - the more the lower the frequency is.

Just my 2 pence

Thomas