DIY - HornEd mod on KLF center channel

wjfranke

Thanks.

As far as measuring the length of the ports.....you can just stick a tape measure inside the port and "catch" the end of the tape measure on the back of the port.

Internal diameter can be done from outside the cabinet as well. 3.5"? I was guessing they would be 4".

Well...thanks for you help. I have contemplated some KLF-30 mods at one point....don't know if I will ever get around to it or not.

If someone gets a chance...can they give me the EXACT external dimensions of the cabinet. I can figure out the internal. I could get the specs from the klipsch site but would like some hard measurements. thanks.

jc

Thanks.

As far as measuring the length of the ports.....you can just stick a tape measure inside the port and "catch" the end of the tape measure on the back of the port.

Internal diameter can be done from outside the cabinet as well. 3.5"? I was guessing they would be 4".

Well...thanks for you help. I have contemplated some KLF-30 mods at one point....don't know if I will ever get around to it or not.

If someone gets a chance...can they give me the EXACT external dimensions of the cabinet. I can figure out the internal. I could get the specs from the klipsch site but would like some hard measurements. thanks.

jc

Sorry, I had already packed it when I wrote this note. Was also at work, and could not have measured it anyways. It looks like I will be unpacking it though to let someone sample it. If so, I'll measure then.

Bill

Well please don't unpack for mysake....but if you do....measurements would be helpful.

Thanks for working with me on this. Anyone reading this thread who has KLF30's could help answer my questions too.

Nice work by the way.

jc

Would anyone be able to tell me what the thickness of wood is used for the KLF 30? It looks like 5/8".

Also....can anyone pop off the grill and tell me what distance the baffle is recessed from the front edge of the speaker? On the Cornwall it was 5/8 inch. But I was thinking on more modern speakers with thinner grills...it might be less.

Thanks again.

jc

• 1 year later...

Sorry to bring this back from the dead, but I've been wondering..

On the KLF-C7, Klipsch chose to vertically orient the horn, as opposed to horizontally, like on the mains. I'm trying to figure out why they would do this.. Was it:

1- They figured people weren't going to angle the speaker properly, so they needed the wider dispersion vertically?

2- Trying to "anchor" the sound to the middle by reducing the horizontal dispersion?

3- A concession to try and keep this relatively large speaker more compact? (I hope not)

I think the horizontal orientation (like was done on these KLF-30's) is best if for nothing more than keeping the interaction with the ceiling and floor to a minimum, but again, my curiousity is making me wonder why Klipsch did what they did...

It's Number 2.

FWIW, at the Pilgrimage in Indy (I forget which one), I think it was Blanchard who was commenting that he would rather have wider horizontal polars for the center channel, but marketing (or really the customers) would have nothing to do with it because it would require a speaker that was taller than it was wide....the form factor would be all off.

Some of the more recent center channels from Klipsch have been using taperred array xovers to widen the horizontal polars from the woofers - thus allowing the tweeter to have a wider pattern in the horizontals.

Basically, wider polars from the center channel will give you a wider sweet spot...which is nice for when you don't want to watch movies by yourself.

Isn't it the K604 horn? It's only 60x40 so turned on end the sweet spot should be very narrow, but any floor/ceiling interaction wouldn't be that bad.

"on end"...meaning.. the 60° edge horizontal (like in the L/R speakers), or vertical (like the KLF-C7)?

• 3 years later...