I want more output from midrange.

I have some homemade khorns with an Audax PR17 6.5inch midrange and EV35 tweeter. I would like some more output from the midrange. Currently running it without any antenuation. I was told by djk that the T2A autoformer could be used to increase the output. How does one hook one up to increase output? Run it backwards? The Audax is rated at 100db efficiency but not in the 400-2k range where's it's slightly less. Where does one buy one and at what cost? Thanks. Maybe it would just be easier to put an L-pad on the woofer section to decrease the bass output in relation to midrange?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have some homemade khorns with an Audax PR17 6.5inch midrange and EV35 tweeter. I would like some more output from the midrange. Currently running it without any antenuation. I was told by djk that the T2A autoformer could be used to increase the output. How does one hook one up to increase output? Run it backwards? The Audax is rated at 100db efficiency but not in the 400-2k range where's it's slightly less. Where does one buy one and at what cost? Thanks. Maybe it would just be easier to put an L-pad on the woofer section to decrease the bass output in relation to midrange?

Have you checked the mid-range polairty. In some case, the mid ranges goes out of phase and you loose lower midrange, try reversing the polairty of the midrange drivers and see if you get better midrange.

As far as reversing the autoformer question you asked.....Well almost. You might have to also change the capacitor values. But be advised, reversing the autoformer can put some very low impedance loads on your amp.

Normally, assuming your 6.5 midrange is an 8 ohm driver, your tap 4=2x=16ohms, your tap 3=4x=32ohms, your tap 2=8x=64ohms. In this example you actually would not have a correct crossover point unless you were on tap3, since the capacitor value was determined using a 16 ohm driver initally.

Moving from tap 4, to tap 5, would result on a zero X multiplication factor and an impedance of 8 ohms. This coul doulble your present sound level. However, you would have to change the capacitor based on the new impedance of 8 ohms.

Now to take it a step furthur, if you wanted impedance reduction, rather than impedance multiplication, you could wire the autoformer backwards. This has some issues, which I will explain at the end. The new ratios for a backwards wired autoformer would be, tap 4=.5X=4ohms, tap3=.25x=2ohms. Of course you would have to adjust the capacitor values based on the new impedance.

Also, keep in mind, if you reverse the autoformer, you increase distortion, reduce dampening factor, but your output will increase.

Putting an L-pad on the woofer would require a large L-pad due to the power handling requirements for a woofer. You could use a large autoformer like the atlas af-140 to increase the impedance of the woofer which will have the same net effect of level reduction of the woofer resulting in more midrange presence.

If the mid range is an exotic driver, It might be best to have a custom xover mod put together for you after doing an inventroy of your present xover and all your drivers.

If the mid range is run of the mil....why not just get some k-55's?

Thanks for the input. I'll try and post some RTA graphs in a couple of days and see what you think. Perhaps the dip from 400-1K is to my liking anyway. The Cornwall certainly has a dip in the midbass. I've heard of putting the PR17's in a smaller encloser to raise the Q to boost the lower range. I'd try some K401's and K55's but one is going to spend over $200 bucks at least and I'm not sure I'd like the midrange horn compared to the PR17. Where can a guy pick up some T2's and at what cost?

I emailed Speakerlab to see if they know anything about the bass adjustment knob. I don't see why one has to spend big bucks for good sound. This thread went from criticism to helpful suggestions back to criticism that is simply not needed. Maron, have you heard the PR17 driver? I didn't think so.

diy-According to the paperwork I have here on the Speakerlab K, the crossover (the "XK") supplied with the kit contained two pads, one for the mid horn and one for the tweeter horn. The mid shown is horn loaded however.

jw

ps. and don't get too upset with Maron, he's actually a great guy. He just needs to drink the prune juice with the pulp in it next time

The Khorn plans I have talk about a bass contour knob. These are the later plans that house the PR17 midrange driver in front of the bass bin.

I ran a freq. response of the speaker with the subwoofer running. The bass bin has and Eminence driver with 6.4mn choke. This bass driver is similar to the K33E except is 8ohm with more power handling capability at least according to Eminence. The topend drop is because of using a Radio Shack sound meter turned 90degrees from speaker to make it more accurate in the 8-10khz range. Maybe I don't need more midrange. The meter was positioned about a meter in front of the mid and high freq. box.

post-24845-13819318451962_thumb.jpg