I want more output from midrange.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gee, I'm distressed that this thread got out of hand. We're a big happy family.

I'm going to hope that Dana will sort it out.

It may be that DIY has the speaker type corresponding to the picture which Dana posted. Is that correct?'

It is a design which SpeakerLab made after it dropped their SK which was a variation on the Klipschorn. I don't know what to call the second version. Let me call it XYZ. (I'd love to have any info available.)

The SK had no direct radiator, and certainly none in the midrange.

On the other hand, there was an article about a European design which used a 6 inch mid with the K bass horn. PWK was annoyed at this. Maybe it got Maron's goat too.

The SK used a crossover with L-Pads on the mid and tweeter in one design. Later they had a crossover with three-position switches and resistors for the mid and tweeter.

It seems that DIY is describing SpeakerLab XYZ and there was some sort of L-Pad in the woofer circuit.

BTW, Maron is an okay guy in my book. My guess is that he just made a quick response and did not realize the depth of the situation or question.

Best,

Gil

In the I,m Ok Your OK I referred you to PAC......The critical child goes to the head of the class. So answere the obvious !!!

oh yeah! i remember that garbage, the i'm ok, you're okay....the beginnings of the pc world.....my buddy had a better book....i'm okay and you suck!! pretty funny, if i recall!![:D]

roy delgado

I just checked my official un-reproduced serial numbered copy of my speakerlab-k plans, and on page 27, the xover stuff begins. The two L-pads were used for the tweeter and for the mid-range. No woofer L-pad.

Also checked my various other un-reproduced serial numbered copies of some additional speakerlab DIY kit plans, none that i, have show a L-pad for the woofer.

2 autoformers

an atlas af-140 on the woofer

a t2A on the tweeter

adjust the impedance multiplication factors of the woofer and tweeter resulting an a db reduction of the woofer and tweeter so the mid range has more presence. example, apply a -3b on the woofer and a -3db on the tweeter effectively would be the same as applying +3db to the mid driver. The senerio would use more watts, but the end result is the goal of this thread.

the atlas autoformers are 53 bucks each, good for 150 watts

the t2a, 65 a pair.

That would give 3db more on the midrange.. But would,nt he need two 16 ohm Audex? of course adjusting xover would be easy to compensate. Good approach. And a good plan. Remember he wants to keep the cost down.

i thought i had already said to add another driver......didn't i.....man.......

he can add the driver but i would suggest that they be close to each other so that minimal lobing would occur in the horizontal. what is the diameter of the audax?

dyi,

i would consider the t2a as cost effective approach. if you add drivers, then above 2k, it might be too hot and depending on the diameter of the audax and how close you put them side by side, you could start to lobe before you crossover to the tweet.

sorry for the detour on your thread. i forgot to take my pill last night...[:S]

roy delgado

In the I,m Ok

Your OK I referred you to PAC......The critical child goes to the

head of the class. So answere the obvious !!!

oh yeah! i remember that garbage, the i'm ok, you're

okay....the beginnings of the pc world.....my buddy had a better

book....i'm okay and you suck!! pretty funny, if i recall!![:D]

roy delgado

ROTFLMAO!!!!! This thread is TOOO funny. it made my miserable afternoon!