Members Weekly Recommendations-Jan 2

thebes

It's a great New Year and almost nothing bad has hapeened yet.
Of course it is only Tuesday so let's keep the good times rolling with
one of our own, yes folks this month's winner of a Klipsch tie-tax and
BS Button is the one and only Gonzp!

Congrats and send me your address and I'll ship it right out.

Format's simple: Name of artist or group, name of album, type of music
as best you can (rock, blues etc.), and recording format (cd, lp etc.)

As usual I'll start it off with:

Benny Goodman, "Live at Carnegie Hall, 40th Anniversary Concert", lp Big Band

To be honest I not a huge fan. Tthe Big Band's were the rock
stars of the day but I always thought their music was much to "nice" as
opposed to some of the real jazz and blues being played at the same
time. It does get under your skin though, sycopated beats, driving drum
lines and virtuouso jams are very familiar to Boomers but using widely
different instruments and totally sans any kind of social or political
comment.

Still I like this one a lot and very well recorded. Worth
a listen and if you do dig the Big Bands, an absolute msut for your
collection.

So what do you have to share this week?

Mark Knopfler & Emmylou Harris

Real live Roadrunning

Cd, but you get the show on dvd also. An incredible bonus, because the dvd has GREAT sound quality.

It's country, blues, bluegrass, for the most part, it's got Mark (!) on it so I bought it. It's growing on me I keep watching the dvd that 59' Paul has some serious tone, or is it a 58'? Buy it and let me know.

Highlights for me are

I dug up a diamond ( with Emmy)

Song for Sonny Liston ( great )

Romeo and Juliet

Red Dirt Girl ( all Emmy)

Many more as I watch it. It is really growing on me. I anticipated something different, but gave it another listen. I'm glad I did.

First off................Happy New Year!!!!!!!!! Second, Thebes, Benny Goodman and his Big Band, they will get under your skin after a while, and you'll like them, they are good, it's amazing bands of that size, playing so well together, usually great HORN presentation.............OK, enough of Big Bands, ROCK is where I live....................Classic Rock, that is...................SO, here is a Big Band for you...................

IT'S ONLY ROCK AND ROLL : the ROLLING STONES..................................CD..................................1974...................

Here is a Big Band for you, and what a band they are. Again,I throw another Mick Taylor Stones album at you. This little jewel covers many musical paths Rock, Soul, and Blues. These guys play it all, and play it well. This is another Stones album the critics hated, yet I find it to be one of their best.Just give this disc a listen, it starts out Rock, breaks right into a Temptations song, which I might add, is how I got into the Stones in the first place, Temptations Songs. The Stones took me from Soul Music, and cast me into Rock, and it's been down hill ever since.Another Stones Classic follows, then 2 great Ballads, for the lack of a better word. They can mix up musical styles, and they do. Let me give you the songlist;

!. If You Can't Rock Me

2. Ain't Too Proud To Beg

3. It's Only Rock and Roll......................A Stones Classic

4. Till the Next Goodbye

5. Time Waits for No One.................Sweet Mick Taylor Solo

6. Luxury

7. Dance Little Sister

8. If You Really Want To Be My Friend

9. Short and Curly

10. Fingerprint File

It is a great songlist with some very UNDER-rated songs. I remember the critics just blasting this disc, they are so wrong. I am a BIG STONES fan, and I think I know alot about this band..............I DO, this is a fine album, full of good songs, and some great musical performances. I have stated many times on this forum, this is The Greatest Rock and Roll Band in the world, and I stand by that, and would use this album to help prove my point. Some of the Best of the Stones never gets played on the Radio, they just play the usual hits. There is a couple of songs on this disc that should be Stones Classics, but they're not. If your on the fence about the Stones, give this disc a listen..................I find with the Stones, like many gruops, you either LOVE them or HATE them......................if you hate them, don't bother..............if you love them, you should own this already.............Pull it out, give it a play or two..........................."It's Only Rock and Roll".....................................BUT,I LIKE IT............................Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mark Knopfler & Emmylou Harris

Real live Roadrunning

Cd, but you get the show on dvd also. An incredible bonus, because the dvd has GREAT sound quality.

It's country, blues, bluegrass, for the most part, it's got Mark (!) on it so I bought it. It's growing on me I keep watching the dvd that 59' Paul has some serious tone, or is it a 58'? Buy it and let me know.

Highlights for me are

I dug up a diamond ( with Emmy)

Song for Sonny Liston ( great )

Romeo and Juliet

Red Dirt Girl ( all Emmy)

Many more as I watch it. It is really growing on me. I anticipated something different, but gave it another listen. I'm glad I did.

Excellent CD....Not many people know of this one!!!! I gave it to my father as he is a big fan of both artists. I have not replaced it...YET!!!!!

I don't know the song on the CD...but one line Mark sings "If it was good for you then surely it was good for me"

Love that song!!!

Hopefully this hasn't been nominated recently. Mine today is The Beatles "Love" CD/DVD-A (2006). From an idea between George Harrison, before his death, and the founder of Cirque de Soleil, it is a compilation of over 26 tunes, remixed from the original studio master tapes for use as a "soundtrack" of a Cirque stage show. Several of the cuts are "mash-ups," where parts of several songs or even just specific tracks from different songs are mixed together. These are usually done only for transitions; most of the cuts are intact as originally composed. George Martin and his son did the project with the "blessings" of Paul, Ringo, Yoko, and Olivia Harrison. I have to admit that I got tired of the Beatles by the mid 1970s, having heard every lp over and over. However, this is a very pleasant revelation, especially regarding the 5.1 multichannel surround mix. It contains DD5.1, DTS 5.1, and DVD-A multichannel options, so it can be enjoyed on any 5.1 HT system; a 2-ch stereo CD comes with the DVD, and it is also sold alone. It is fresh, sonically dynamic (much more bass, more emphasis on drums, more dynamic range) and absolutely clean. If you, like me, thought of those old songs as tired and overplayed, then treat yourself to this new experience. It really renewed my appreciation of what revolutionary, history-changing songwriters they were.