Klipschorns Sound Terrible - No Bass

KeepBooks

Textc>Hello Everyone,

I have a pair of Klipschorns (about 15 years old) which I've just tried using for the first time in about 10 years and they sound HORRIBLE. There is no bass whatsoever and they sound "tinny" for lack of a better word (can you tell I'm no audio tech?? LOL)The stereo (Yamaha RXV-850) settings all seem to be correct.

Many years back, I remember (or maybe I dreamed it) my now-ex husband blowing a fuse in them, making them sound similar to this. After replacing the fuse they were back to normal.

Do K-Horns HAVE fuses?

If so, where are they?

If not, what would make them lose all the bass?

Unrelated question: Does Klipsch still make Klipschorns? Someone told me they aren't made any longer.

Thanks in Advance,

Linda

Hi!

No bass and "tinny" sound is sure pointer that one or both woofers are not working. If you can get at the back of the top section, where the terminal block is, I'd disconnect the wires going to the midrange and tweeter, leave the wires connected to the woofer in place, and see if you get ANY sound.

Uh, be sure you put some kind of little tag on each wire showing which screw on the terminal block it was attach to, otherwise you have a good chance of wiring something out of phase when you reconnect 'em.

Office? Is this, like, a home office, or do you play Klipschorns in an office building somewhere? People hereabouts think my KG4s are over the top... biggrin.gif

Ray

Klipschorns made after 1982 have two fuse holders on the input panel.This is behind the grill on the left side near the bottom of the speaker.Pull the entire speaker away from the wall.You may need help as they weigh 200+ lbs.Push the fuseholder cap in and give a quarter turn.Use an AGC3A or smaller value.These may be obtained at Radio Shack.Note that the high frequency fuse is a smaller value.Do not mix.

You can't do what Ray suggest. Klipschorns crossovers arn't like LaScala & Belle crossovers. There arn't any terminal blocks & screws, everything is soldered. You have two crossovers, the high freq. crossover you can see in the top horn section. The low freq. crossover you can't see, it's inside the bass horn cabinet. It's connected to the back of the screw on door, this door is on the left hand side of the speaker & is about 20" x 20". I don't think you need to remove it, let's try something first. The fuse holders are where djk stated,to the left of this door.

First lets make sure that you have them wired right. This input panel has two pairs of inputs on it. Mine are bananna plug inputs, yours may be older models with another type of input connection. Eather way the upper pair are colored red & black, this is where you hook up or plug in the wire coming from the high freq. drivers in the upper cabinet. The two inputs below these is where you hook up the speaker wire coming from your amp. The bass horn fuse is on this same input panel to the right of the speaker wire conections. With the bananna plug connections it would be hard to hook these speakers up wrong. If you have screw on terminals you could have them wrong. Do you have the speaker wire hooked up to the same place that you have the high freq. wire ?This would bypass the bass horn & all you would hear in the high end. I'm guessing this is how you have them hooked up if the fuse is O.K. . The speaker wire from your amp first feeds the bass horn x-over inside the cabinet. From there that x-over is wired to the inputs that feed the high freq. drivers in the upper cabinet. Again , this is where you hook up the wire coming from the upper horns. This is where you can do what Ray suggest. Unplug the wire coming from the x-over that you can see in the top of the cabinet & leave it unplugged for now. Connect the speaker wire to the two lower holes or terminal connections. Now you will just have the lower bass section horn hooked up,& you should just be hearing the lows.If you don't hear anything check the fuse to the right of the speaker wire connections. Try this , & reply. If the fuse & or the way you had your connections didn't solve the problem then we will have to look inside the bass horn cabinet.

Q.

AND if after checking the fuses you decide to take the panel of the woofer cabinet BE VERY CAREFUL our freinds at klipsch did not leave very much extra wire and you are in danger of yanking things off the x-over or woofer (it happened to me) when removing the panel...slowly and carefully, o.k.?...the k-horns should put out very satisfying bass when placed correctly in the corners so, you definately need to track down the reason for this problem, and then enjoy these turly high fidelity speakers! Tony

Linda,

Yes they are still available (look at the Home Audio section on the left side of your screen, and choose Heritage series, and roam around.)

Don't you dare let those babies go! You'll find nothing better to use as replacements. And nothing you may replace them with will even come close to their performance.

Just my opinon. smile.gif

Yep,

I knew you guys were kidding.

But I did not want Linda to become frustrated and then consider selling them based on her problems, which we all know can be easily fixed.

Like most everybody else around here, I don't care how baseless they are perceived to be nor how much the up-ity audiophiles hate them (horns), I love my Klpisch to pieces.

------------------

John P

St Paul, MN

Wow!!!

Thank you, thank you, thank you for all your help!!

I just tried moving one of them to take a peek as you said and there's no way I can move them. So, I've called in for reinforcements (my neighbor-dude) who will move them out and we'll take a look.

I'm leaning towards the fuse idea, because they haven't been moved in many years and worked just fine. I think if it's anything with the wiring perhaps something has come undone.

I'll let you know what we find!

>>You should save yourself all this grief & stress. I would recommend you cut all ties that might remind you of your ex-husband. I'll do you a huge favour and take those KHorns off your hands.

How does $500 sound? <<

Hahahahaha!! I laughed so loud I startled the basset hound (who doesn't startle easily).

You know, I feel a bit badly. The reason I had turned them on (and found there was a problem) was that I planned to sell them. I never use them, I'll be moving to a smaller home, and it's a big chunk of money sitting in the corners. I saw a pair on E-bay bring a good bit of change.

But, after reading through these message boards and hearing the passion in your letters about them, there's no WAY I will sell them now.

Thanks everyone for reminding me what a special pair of speakers I have.

And did I mention the ex forgot to list them in the divorce settlement agreement, so I got them for free!

He wasn't the brightest guy, but he had good taste in speakers!

Hey Keepbooks, if you end up taking the woofer door off, be sure to have something you won't mind throwing out to set the doors on. Klipsch put some nasty, sticky, gooy black sealer all around the inside edge of the door. I found out the hard way. I spent a Saturday working my tail off cleaning my rug, while listening to a pair of amazing speakers. Good luck with your Khorns!

Wooo Hooo! You go girl! That would never happen to me. If Steve and I ever broke up (heaven forbid!) the K-horns would be the first thing he listed. Of course, I would never try to take his beloved horns from him. He loves them too much. Come to think of it, I think I will just try to hang on to him... biggrin.gif