Puppy pic

J.4knee

My boy Jake @ 7 1/2 mo. He is really becoming a handsome boy. I have never learned so much about training a pup as I am learning with this dog. I think the biggest thing I have gotten from him is not to train the dog you want but train the dog you have. IOW accept who and what they are and realize their timetable is truly the pace you will proceed at. When I first started training with him I got frustrated until I got that idea in my head. Now we have a blast working together as a team. Granted at this stage he is not getting any hard or forced training just focus/drive building stuff. But you clearly can see in his face, when we run off the field after each session, he is getting the we are a team concept.

post-14277-13819318432684_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

I just looked through the links. The first one grabbed my interest a little more than the second link.

These dogs are beautiful. This is definitely a breed I would consider adopting. It seems as though they get along well with children.

Thank you for providing the links.

I just looked through the links. The first one grabbed my interest a little more than the second link.

These dogs are beautiful. This is definitely a breed I would consider adopting. It seems as though they get along well with children.

Thank you for providing the links.

Actually these dogs are not the prototypical pet dog. The second link better represents what these dogs are bread for. They can and do get along with children but require socialization. These are very active highly driven dogs. I would not recommend a Malinois for a first time dog owner. We got our first Malinois by accident; she was a humane society rescue. Fortunately she possessed only about 60% of the drive most Malinois have so we got our experience on a Malinois Lite if you will. We tried to adopt/re-home a second intact female, our first b!tch was spayed, but the two were incompatible. That eventually lead us to the position of getting a puppy which has worked well, it is far simpler to imprint and join a puppy into a pack than an adult. Anyway it is working well for us we are most likely getting a second pup probably in April/May timeframe. The long-range goal is in a few years you will be able to look for the Malinois de Orgulloso y Leal kennel.

The first link to ABMC is the AKC affiliated parent breed club for the Belgian Malinois and as such is more of a flash over substance breed club they promote AKC obedience, herding conformation and agility style events. The second link is for the AWMA, which endorses/supports training and raising the breed in more of a working setting such as schutzhund, IPO, Ring sports, agility and herding. My dog is AKC registered but I am a member of the second club and primarily because they test the breed more thoroughly in their sanctioned events. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Both organizations hold a version breed standard, ABMC, which holds the AKC endorsed component of the breed standard and AWMA, which endorses the FCI standard. The irony is AKC is a subcomponent of FCI, which begs the question why two orgs and why two breed standards? Neither are breed registries and both have their own sanctioned events. The answer lies in that both standards are nearly identical until you look at their implementation by the respective club. ABMC implements the standard in more of a does the dog look like the picture approach and does not assess drive and temperament as equal components to appearance. AWMA has a charter to hold Seiger style conformation, which assesses appearance performance and temperament. The only drawback is AWMA is young and has less of a budget and far less staff to be able to promote anything more than the working aspect of the dog, they have no judges to assess conformation at present.

A quick comparison between the two dogs, excluding show versions of both dogs:<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

GSD - is little bigger boned with a heavier frame, males typically weigh about 80 - 90 lbs, the coat has the obvious differences in appearance. GSD is a slower and some say more methodical dog. Usually exhibits or presents more reserved drive levels; IOW they are neither as fast nor as outwardly enthusiastic about their respective jobs. Obedience is solid but can give the appearance of a lack of precision which will cost you points. Protection performance is exceptional but again is not as enthusiastic.

Malinois - Somewhat lighter frame males typically weigh in at 65 to 76 lbs, notably more agile and athletic. Can posses an almost obsessive drive such that when put in motion to perform a task they go at it as hard as they possibly can be it chasing a ball or rounding up the bad guy. Obedience tends to be flashier, but overzealousness can cost you points. These dogs are fast, like I said earlier they give their all to every task at hand. Protection is spirited but may make impulsive mistakes.

IMO both dogs are great to own if you can handle/train them.