New receiver suggestions....Help!!

pocajunboy

I've narrowed my slection down to four:  Onkyo TX-SR604, Onkyo TX-SR674, HK AVR 245, Pioneer Elite VSX-80TXV.  

I'm new to the site.  I've owned Kilpsch speakers for as long as I can remember and my surround sound is all Kilpsch.  I've decided it's time to upgrade my receiver and I would like some help choosing a new one. I have a Sony STR-DE945 receiver I bought sometime in early 2000, so my knowledge in receivers is limited. I'm not crazy about the Sony.  My TV is a 55 inch Sony Wega HDTV. I use my surround system for movies/music/tv. Price range: $500-600 Thanks in advance!  

Yamaha 5890........................I too own a Sony 895.........it is a great Home Theatre Receiver, but lacks in 2 channel................Just got the Yamaha, the more I use it, the more I like it........................$400. delivered to your house................Amazon.com............Brand new unit...............

It kind of depends on whether you plan on doing your video switching at the TV or thru the receiver. If the former, SERIOUSLY think about a used higher end piece (ROTEL 1056, for instance... I am sure other are out there too). Due to the nature of the hobby, they are usually available at (relatively) very reasonable costs, unless you absolutely NEED all the latest bells and whistles (namely the latest in video switching). I used Sony ES stuff for years, but DSP processing of the last three years or so, has gotten infinitely better.

jerohm,

Thanks for the advice.  As I've stated my knowledge in receivers is limited. When you talk about video switching, can you explain what you mean.  What is better? I don't really need all the latest bells/whistles, a few would be cool, just clean,crisp sound when watching movies/sports/listening to music. I do want good equipment!!  

Pocajunboy, Hello and Welcome.

A frequently asked question, any of the Yamaha, HK, Denon, Pioneer Elite will work well for you. Generally they all do the same things in the same budget range. You can pick up a Yamaha RX-V1600/2600 for around $800 give or take. If you get an older model it saves alot of money (i.e. not the latest current model) I think the same goes for the other models as well. The higher end HK stuff is usually more money but really pump out the power(much higher than rated) but I havent had a new one in four years.

Thanks for the suggestions/advice!  Today a co-worker suggested Denon...adding even more confusion to my search for another receiver.  This maybe a stupid question, but here goes.  Is there any specfic brand of receiver that goes better with Klipsch speakers?  As I read the post I really didn't see a trend in brand.  I noticed a lot of coversation about Yamaha, Denon, HK, Onkyo.  Thanks again to all.

I'm also deciding which receiver to buy (upto a certain price limit) and I'm going based on the features that I think I want. You'll just have to decide what features are important to you and go with that.

An example of receiver features that I want are:

1. HDMI inputs and an output

2. upsampling all the way upto and including HDMI which means that I only have to have one connection to the TV and my receiver acts as a hub for all of my devices

3. auto-calibration setup using a microphone (because this is going to be my 1st receiver ever and I wouldn't know how to calibrate it manually)

This makes me lean towards the Yamaha RXV1600 or Denon AVR2307CI. I'm not sure if the Denon does upsampling though so I'll have to look into it.

The HK in this price range seems to have HDMI pass-thru only so it won't upsample to HDMI. Also, a separate digital audio cable is required for audio since the HK doesn't look inside the HDMI signal but simply passes it on.

Anyways, hopefully peoples' advice in this thread will help both of us decide what to get.

-Rob.

I am going through the same process in the same price range. Some of the answer is going to be dependent on the model speakers you have. I have SB-3 fronts, a KG 2.2V center, SS-1 surrounds and a SW-10 sub. I'm looking at the Pioneer 80. The Denon 2307 is a little too pricey and the 1907 doesn't do HDMI. I was all set to get the HK 245 but the HDMI doesn't do audio and I am concerned about HK's future since Circuit City dropped them and they have a very limited dealer network. The Onkyo's only have 50 MHZ bandwidth on the component video, where 100 is the normal. The yamaha 659 has great reviews, but does not do HDMI. This all led me to the Pioneer. I have read reviews on the 82 that say the sound is incredible and the 80 uses the same electronics and amps. It's a tough decision, thats for sure. I curently own a HK 125. I like the sound, especially with music, but my speakers could use a little more bightness. My opinion is the recievers from warm to bright are: HK, Denon, Pioneer, Yamaha, Onkyo. The high end audio store I buy from, the sales people all own Klipsch and Yamaha. This store sells Denon and Pioneer Elite as well as NAD and Rotel. One of the traits of Klipsch speakers is that at very high volumes they can get harsh. If you plan to really crank them up, I'd go with the HK or Denon. If you listen at mid to high, but not very high, the Pioneer or Yamaha should work great. I hope this helps.