pics of my room and initial thoughts for where to put bass traps?

jrios212

hi guys,

i've done some research on this sight and the general consensus seem to be to start with the rear of the room for bass traps. i currently only have enough for two corners (also have pyramid foam) so wanted to get your thoughts on where i should start. i'll do some experimenting but, again, wanted to get someones initial thoughts.

the only reason i'm thinking i might want to put them in the front of my room is because the back of my room already has these triangle shapes coming out the corners and i feel like that may be helping. this maybe the wrong approach, but i put some bass heavy music on and walked back there and couldn't really hear the bass getting any louder (building up) back there. if anything it seems to build up in the front corners, but that just might be because i'm closer to the sub. :P any thoughts?

jacob

post-23304-13819321149136_thumb.jpg

i've got a dip of around 8-10db around the 80-125hz range. maybe my speakers just don't go that low even though the website indicates it.

DrWho mentions "boundary cancellation"
a lot. The backs of my speakers are about 16" away from the
back wall and the fronts of my speakers are about 27" away from the
back wall. To me this seems like I'd experience boundary
cancellation starting around 125hz so i don't think that's the problem.

1130/x= 9; therefore x= 125

1130 = speed of sound | 9 = distance of speaker from wall(2.25)*4

here's some measurements i took. my crossover is at 80hz, which i can't change. my sub is turned up a bit higher than it should be i know. :)

frequency

spl

it's not that big of deal. i like the way things sound but since i have the foam i thought i'd give it a try.

thanks for the thoughts,

jacob

it's not that big of deal. i like the way things sound but since i have the foam i thought i'd give it a try.

Jacob,

The key thing is that you like the way things sound now. This is a case of if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I don't put any faith in those kinds of frequency checks--they lead to listener dissatisfaction [:D]

For starters, you might find these links helpful:

http://www.ethanwiner.com/acoustics.html

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/thread/796165.aspx

http://www.acoustics101.com/default.asp

http://www.prosoundweb.com/install/sac/sup27/part1/mesp2.shtml

http://www.prosoundweb.com/install/sac/sup27/part2/ppam.php

It
doesn't sound like you have any measuring equipment (ratshack meter +
test tones isn't going to suffice) - so doing it by ear is just going
to take longer. However, some guys have been getting this (free)
program to work with their ratshack meter:

http://www.hometheatershack.com/roomeq/

- all you'd need is a computer with a decent soundcard. The HTS forums
will be very helpful in getting you set up and running (don't forget to
read the stickys and setup manual first).

Anyways, putting bass
traps in areas where there is no bass buildup isn't going to have any
effect. In my limited experience with bass traps, I've always ended up
putting them in the front of the room - each room is different and the
problem areas are going to move around. The idea is that you want to
absorb the reflections that are causing the dips in the frequency
response, as well as reducing the length of resonating frequencies.
Foam bass traps need to be large to be effective at lower frequencies,
so don't expect them to do much below 50,60Hz...I would imagine with
proper placement that your 100Hz-ish issues should get resolved.

But
as always - try your best to make things sound as good as you can by
moving the speakers around and tweaking the crossover settings on the
sub. I wrote an article that addresses some tricks I've picked up along
the way for doing this by ear (that way I don't gotta keep repeating
myself): [;)]

Dial in a Subwoofer By Ear

One thing you might consider is trying to listen a bit more in
the near-field of the speakers. The boundary cancellation effects are
only going to occur at frequencies where the dispersion is wide enough
to actually bounce off the wall. Pulling the speakers out and away from
the walls and moving the cancellation to frequencies below the
crossover point will dramatically reduce the effects. It also puts you
closer to the direct sound, making it louder in comparison to the
reflected sounds in your room while increasing the time length between
the direct sound and the first reflection in the room. The frequency
response is but one view of behavior that moves around in time.

Are you using a CD and an SPL meter to get those numbers? I'd like to find a CD with test tones that cover most of the audio range. The only one I have just covers the range from 10Hz-200Hz, which is fine for setting up the sub, but I'd like to get an in-room response curve for my speakers.

Is anyone aware of a CD or DVD that has test tones (not sweeps) from 20-20KHz?

How long you going to be there? Assume your in school right? Might make sense to worry more about it when you buy a house.

actually i graduated college in '03. just moved from austin (where i own a house) to chicago. i'll probably only be here until the fall and then will hopefully be headed to business school on the west coast.

but you're right, i'll definitely put more thought into things when i finally settle back in a house. :) for now i'm just messing around.

yup .. here's the cd i used along with an spl meter. (stereophile editor's choice cd)

http://www.stereophile.com/features/853/

i haven't used it in awhile as i'm trying not to get too caught up in measurments but it's definitely a cool (actually nerdy) thing to try.

Are you using a CD and an SPL meter to get those numbers? I'd like to find a CD with test tones that cover most of the audio range. The only one I have just covers the range from 10Hz-200Hz, which is fine for setting up the sub, but I'd like to get an in-room response curve for my speakers.

Is anyone aware of a CD or DVD that has test tones (not sweeps) from 20-20KHz?

hi guys,

i've done some research on this sight and the general consensus seem to be to start with the rear of the room for bass traps. i currently only have enough for two corners (also have pyramid foam) so wanted to get your thoughts on where i should start. i'll do some experimenting but, again, wanted to get someones initial thoughts.

the only reason i'm thinking i might want to put them in the front of my room is because the back of my room already has these triangle shapes coming out the corners and i feel like that may be helping. this maybe the wrong approach, but i put some bass heavy music on and walked back there and couldn't really hear the bass getting any louder (building up) back there. if anything it seems to build up in the front corners, but that just might be because i'm closer to the sub. :P any thoughts?

jacob

Hi jacob

Bass Traps are most effective when used in the corners of a room because all room modes terminate in the room corners. In most situations it would also be best to use bass traps in the front corners first because you will also be cleaning up the room sound/reflection interferance at the earliest point in time after the initial sound from the loudspeaker. Room modes basically ring and carry on long after the initial sound has ended which causes a loss of clarity and I've yet to be in a home listening room that couldn't benefit from bass traps. Some people have the false idea that bass traps will absorbe the bass and cause a perceived loss of bass SPL but actually when done correctly your perception will be a stronger/tighter Bass/MidBass response in your room with greater clarity because the room response wil be smoother and better damped.

Here is a site with some good articles explaining some of the problems with rooms and room modes.

http://www.acousticsciences.com/index.htm

mike tn[:)]