Positives and negatives of klipsch speakers...???

Darkninja86

Hey this is my first post. But I would like to know about klipsch, how they rate in the home theater world,

the pros and cons,and any general info you guys have on them.So far I have heard the RF-82s and I liked them alot,

But some people say because of the horn system tweeter,they get to bright.Is that true? Also if anyone thinks they know of some other speakers that are very good, let me know ok. If I decide on RF-82s I will be running an Onkyo TXSR804 with a velodyne DLS4000R powered sub.

Yes they do seem to be very efficient,even at low power the mids and highs were still strong.I am mostly going to be listening to music on them,mostly rock,I just hope they can take it.In the store we cranked them really loud, and there was little to no distortion.But the reciever was Denon not onkyo.Will Denons work better with klipsch,than Onkyo? Being made in China will that dirastically effect sound reproduction? and how many watts should my reciever put to each channel to get a great sound? The one I had in mind was 105watts to 7 channels.

Old crappy horns sound bright - but the new designs don't suffer from the same issues. Horn technology has advanced quite a bit since the 50's [Y] However, it seems the reputation hasn't quite died off yet. [N] The only downside to the new Reference series is that they're not fully hornloaded [;)]

But seriously, the reference series speakers are very efficient and recreate dynamics extremely well. The big in-your-face sound works especially well for HT. However, they benefit greatly from quality amplification so you might consider moving to seperates in the future (but really, what speakers don't benefit from better amps?)

Will you be going with the entire RF-82 surround package, or just the mains for now?

Welcome to the forum!

first, the klipsch are known as rock speakers

second denon might sound better but I bet the onkyo will be fine

being made in china will not effect sound, just bottom dollar figures for klipsch

also the watt game is silly..... most numbers they put on recievers are false or misleading. Besides with klipsch all you need is like 5 watts to get them pumping around 110 db.

Old crappy horns sound bright - but the new designs don't suffer from the same issues. Horn technology has advanced quite a bit since the 50's [Y] However, it seems the reputation hasn't quite died off yet. [N] The only downside to the new Reference series is that they're not fully hornloaded [;)] neither is the cornwall and everyone loves a cornwall

But seriously, the reference series speakers are very efficient and recreate dynamics extremely well. The big in-your-face sound works especially well for HT. However, they benefit greatly from quality amplification so you might consider moving to seperates in the future (but really, what speakers don't benefit from better amps?)

Will you be going with the entire RF-82 surround package, or just the mains for now?

Welcome to the forum!

I have an RF-7 5.1 setup (see signature) and I, like you, use it primarily for music (2 channel w/sub). I can tell you from first hand experience that these reference series really rock (they are damn fine at HT too).

That being said what Doc said about having a good amp is absolutely true. I originally powered my mains (the RF-7s) with my AVR, a Harman Kardon 7300 that is rated at 125wpc with two channels driven. This setup sounded fine but I still (on certain songs) wanted more. To solve this I added two Adcom GFA-555s running bridged. That is one Adcom for each of the RF-7s. Meaning I had the ability to deliver 600watts!!! to each of the RF-7s. Now the RF-7s rock to the point where while my subwoofer was out for repairs (still not back yet [:(]) freinds would comment on how good my sub sounded and how hard it pounded. Even though these speakers will play plenty loud with just a few watts, for me anyway, it is not just about loud...there is just no substitute for having that extra umph there when the speakers want it.

Regarding the bright sound of the horns, I have noticed that mine do not begin to have a brightness to the sound until I am really pushing serious volumes (>105db). As soon as I recover (financialy) from some other issues I have going on I plan to get DeanGs xover mods to help that out. At moderate to loud volumes though I think they are just very clear and real not harsh or bright.

Well for the whole home theater experience I will have to get the RC-62 Center,and the RS-52 surrounds.I alreadly have what I think is a ok sub 12" Velodyne. It should match well with the 8s in the 82s.Someone told me paradigms were better speakers,and someone even said Polk.Was the best.Should I go and test these other systems out.Or will I find klipsch with the tactrix?horn tweeter.To be a better buy?

• Moderators

Welcome to the forum darkninja..

If you are not in a hurry to make a purchase may we suggest you to stick around the forum for a little while before making any decisions.

Either way BUY KLIPSCH!! It's a great company, that produces great speakers.

Well for the whole home theater experience I will have to get the RC-62 Center,and the RS-52 surrounds.I alreadly have what I think is a ok sub 12" Velodyne. It should match well with the 8s in the 82s.Someone told me paradigms were better speakers,and someone even said Polk.Was the best.Should I go and test these other systems out.Or will I find klipsch with the tactrix?horn tweeter.To be a better buy?

I'd say you should try out as many different speaker manufactures as you can find access to. Let YOUR ears decide what's the right sound for YOU. Some people may like one particular sound, and state it's "the best" or "better" than another sound. That doesn't mean it's what you'd want to have in your house for the next 20 years. As far as I'm concerned, speakers are a lot like women: Most all of them have a few things you like about them, it's a matter of finding the one that has the most desirable characteristics to you. You wouldn't let someone else choose your significant other based on what they deemed important, would you? Besides, these speakers may well be with you 20+ years, not a lot of people can say that about their marriage. [:(]

I had Polks before I got my RF-7 setup and I prefer the Klipsch's. I did not have the high-end Polks (I had the Monitor series) but from what I have heard the ones I had sound very similar to the higher-end ones. The difference between them (the Polks and the Klipsch) is very noticeable. Firstly the Klipsch being a much more efficient speaker (89db/w/m for the polk vs. 102db/w/m for the klipsch) will play quite abit louder than the Polks given the same amount of power. Secondly the hf on the Polks is quite different. Some would say that the polks hf is smoother and I guess that is as good a description as any but smoother (at least to me) implies better and I certainly do not think it is better. I still use the Polks in my sunroom (zone 2) and when both zones are playing the same source it is quite easy to notice the difference when walking into the main house from the sunroom. As I said in my previous response I think the hf of the Klipsch is very clear and real. I would say that the smooth HF of the Polks is less clear and less defined.

Ok that helps,and well the RF-82 are slightly larger then the 7s right. I really loved the imaging on the speakers, they were about 18ft apart and only the towers were running,the sub was even off,and you could swear the center channel was on.Some of the best imaging I have ever heard,was this due to the speakers,or the high powered reciever? I am almost 100% sure I should go with klipsch.This will be my first home theater system,before this I had a weak yamaha hometheater in a box set up,it was so sad I turned them up and pop pop pop,the left and right channels died it was funny, but hey it was still money,well never again I am going to do home theater right,and these should be great for music to. and thanks to the internet,I found out how bad BOSE speakers really were,I cant believe I almost wanted a lifestyle system bleh.

Pros: They sound incredible and look great. If you look at what you typically pay for Klipsch that are 10-20 years old you'd probably pay 10x that amount for new speakers from other brands that still probably won't sound as good.

Cons: Thanks to this forum you'll never be satisfied with what you get. You'll always want bigger, better, LOUDER! [:)]

I run the RF-7 series on a 5/1 setup using an RSW 15 sub. I use them exclusively for video. Previously I used Snell and Paradigm gear. Of all the components what impresses me the most is the RC-7. For video you really need an excellent center channel. It delivers most of the dialogue and is the focus of the surround sound presentation. The RC-7 stands head and shoulders over any center channel I've heard anywhere. This is not to diminish the other units. The entire system is balanced and my Magnavox lights them all up quite neatly. The RSW-15 can be overwhelming and some people use more than one of them in a single set-up. Yikes!

Sounds like you know your stuff. Do you know anything about onkyo recievers? I was looking at the TXSR804 I can get one at around 900$ I haven't heard it,but I know onkyo have a rep,in being one of the best you can get.105watts per channel into 8 ohms at 0.08%THD.THXselect2 certification,1080p HDMI switching.Sub zone 2 output.So on, it seems good,its not like yamaha where it is deceptive with the wattage display.It actually has 7 different pre amps at 105watts each am I correct on that?

Sounds like you know your stuff. Do you know anything about onkyo recievers? I was looking at the TXSR804 I can get one at around 900$ I haven't heard it,but I know onkyo have a rep,in being one of the best you can get.105watts per channel into 8 ohms at 0.08%THD.THXselect2 certification,1080p HDMI switching.Sub zone 2 output.So on, it seems good,its not like yamaha where it is deceptive with the wattage display.It actually has 7 different pre amps at 105watts each am I correct on that?

You can do better than Onkyo for $900..........shop around....................