Any Velodyde fans out there???

Darkninja86

I never said I would take boomy systems. I just rather have the best of both worlds. Loud and deep without distortion. With servos you give up some loud and deep to get low distortion.

Funny, I haven't given up loud or clean sound with the pair of HGS18 Series II. They have long been considered a great match (one of the few) for LaScalas and KHorns. note, a pair of hgs18 the flagship model. Would you be so happy if you had said a hgs12 single?

I suspect anyone doubting this may not have had much hands on experience with them, and any reports of their "insufficiencies" exaggerated. I can only imagine what brochure or article makes such a claim. But it is rather ironic, and I think it speaks volumes, that we haven't heard anyone thus far who uses them in combination with Heritage utter a complaint.

I have heard them. Also remember many heritage owners do not believe in subwoofers. There are very few heritage members with velodyne. I think one is sunburnwilly.

And short of the Danley DT-20, I have no need nor desire to change them.

As is so often the case, I suspect the rest is simply speculation, supposition and conjecture. [:P] [;)]

And it rather reminds me of kids sitting around debating over which car, a Koenigsegg Number2, Bugatti Veyron, or McLaren F1, etc. would beat each other in some imagined race.

But by all means, have fun... Its always entertaining to listen to someone tell me how they do or don't perform...especially as even my cat has a custom pair of Etymotic ear plugs!

And I find it entertaining that someone tells me I never listened to them. Fine they are nice but then again everyone said hgs18 or dd18. They are the flagship. If I had 5000 to spend on it I would sure be hoping they are good. Then again I had chances to listen to other velodyne from the spl or smaller dd. They are not so impressive as other subwoofers match or beat them in respected class.

A single HGS12 or DD12 has plenty of output for a mid sized room,this is the case even with very large Klipsch speakers.As who listens at ear bleed levels? None who value hearing.

Heritage owners and any owner of high end speakers will belive in a sub that only adds the very deepest bass or takes some workload off the mains woofers.Not adding any colorations,the case with most subs and the reason for many to dismiss subs.

The HGS18/DD18 is not bested by many subs at all. When low distortion,extension and sound quality is paramount only JL Audio bests them,and not by much. Again I own a HGS18 and the f112 and two f113's. So I speak from direct experience ,with larger Klipsch mains,larger Dynaudio mains.

I

never said I would take boomy systems. I just rather have the best of

both worlds. Loud and deep without distortion. With servos you give up

some loud and deep to get low distortion.

Funny, I

haven't given up loud or clean sound with the pair of HGS18 Series II.

They have long been considered a great match (one of the few) for

LaScalas and KHorns. note, a pair of hgs18 the flagship model. Would you be so happy if you had said a hgs12 single?

I

suspect anyone doubting this may not have had much hands on experience

with them, and any reports of their "insufficiencies" exaggerated. I

can only imagine what brochure or article makes such a claim. But it is

rather ironic, and I think it speaks volumes, that we haven't heard

anyone thus far who uses them in combination with Heritage utter a

complaint.

I have heard them. Also remember many heritage

owners do not believe in subwoofers. There are very few heritage

members with velodyne. I think one is sunburnwilly.

As is so often the case, I suspect the rest is simply speculation, supposition and conjecture. [:P] [;)]

And

it rather reminds me of kids sitting around debating over which car, a

Koenigsegg Number2, Bugatti Veyron, or McLaren F1, etc. would beat each

other in some imagined race.

But by all means, have fun... Its

always entertaining to listen to someone tell me how they do or don't

perform...especially as even my cat has a custom pair of Etymotic ear

plugs!

And I find it entertaining that someone tells me I

never listened to them. Fine they are nice but then again everyone said

hgs18 or dd18. They are the flagship. If I had 5000 to spend on it I

would sure be hoping they are good. Then again I had chances to listen

to other velodyne from the spl or smaller dd. They are not so

impressive as other subwoofers match or beat them in respected class.

Read for meaning!

I

said "I suspect anyone doubting this may not have had much hands on

experience with them..." And yes, several of us, myself included, said

we have them (the HGS18 Series II or the DD18) and used them with the

Heritage series. And no, we have NOT had any problem with inefficiency

or sensitivity as you have repeatedly maintained. We were speaking with

regards to these models, and not speculating about something with which we didn't

have extensive experience. An amazing concept, isn't

it?

If someone uses a smaller model they may have

other experiences - but it is difficult to even speculate about that,

as I have no idea regarding what they listen too, how they listen to it, nor where they listen to it. Just because one has a Heritage speaker does NOT mean they necessarily listen

continually at 130+ dB in a 200,000 cu. ft. room! But I find it

amazing that you proceed to tell those who have them or have extensive experience with them how they sound and what they lack!

But there is a difference between

us. The original thread asked if any of us liked or had Velodyne. It

did not specify that we must have this model or that model. The next

post stated that he would be interested in hearing comments of those

who did.

Now here is where we differ. I have not commented specifically regarding the HGS12 as you now

ask, precisely because I don't have that model and I chose to limit my

comments to that which I have! Duh! I will allow someone who has that

model or who has extensive experience with them to comment! But that doesn't stop you! But I might suggest that perhaps it should.

I

have the HGS18 Series IIs, and I did comment - only to be debated by

you with your extensive experience telling us that they are inadequate.

Really!? I disagree, but what or why would I know? And what would

SunburnWilly know? Or what would theEAR know? Heck, we only have the

damned things!

And as far as "remember(ing) that many heritage owners do not believe in subwoofers.

There are very few heritage members with velodyne."

Why, pray tell, would I have any desire to try to

remember that..Why should I? If they don't want to use a subwoofer

and they are pleased, I think its great. It certainly is not something

I would debate or disagree with. Is a subwoofer required to address

some gross inadequacy? Absolutely not. I simply use them to augment LF

material that exists that I felt the sub could more adequately handle.

So I suspect that your statement might have some use, I just can't figure out how or where.

And as far as some "not believ(ing) in subwoofers", that is between them and their therapists.

It

is humorous to watch as some of us limited our comments to that which

we know firsthand, only to be debated on the matter by someone with

less knowledge and experience. Its also fascinating to learn that "some do not

believe in subwoofers..."

But some of us do.

I

never said I would take boomy systems. I just rather have the best of

both worlds. Loud and deep without distortion. With servos you give up

some loud and deep to get low distortion.

Funny, I

haven't given up loud or clean sound with the pair of HGS18 Series II.

They have long been considered a great match (one of the few) for

LaScalas and KHorns. note, a pair of hgs18 the flagship model. Would you be so happy if you had said a hgs12 single?

I

suspect anyone doubting this may not have had much hands on experience

with them, and any reports of their "insufficiencies" exaggerated. I

can only imagine what brochure or article makes such a claim. But it is

rather ironic, and I think it speaks volumes, that we haven't heard

anyone thus far who uses them in combination with Heritage utter a

complaint.

I have heard them. Also remember many heritage

owners do not believe in subwoofers. There are very few heritage

members with velodyne. I think one is sunburnwilly.

And

it rather reminds me of kids sitting around debating over which car, a

Koenigsegg Number2, Bugatti Veyron, or McLaren F1, etc. would beat each

other in some imagined race.

But by all means, have fun... Its

always entertaining to listen to someone tell me how they do or don't

perform...especially as even my cat has a custom pair of Etymotic ear

plugs!

And I find it entertaining that someone tells me I

never listened to them. Fine they are nice but then again everyone said

hgs18 or dd18. They are the flagship. If I had 5000 to spend on it I

would sure be hoping they are good. Then again I had chances to listen

to other velodyne from the spl or smaller dd. They are not so

impressive as other subwoofers match or beat them in respected class.

But here is a difference between

us. The original thread asked if any of us liked or had Velodyne. It

did not specify that we must have this model or that model. The next

post stated that he would be interested in hearing comments of those

who did.

Now here is where we differ. I have not commented specifically regarding the HGS12 as you now

ask, precisely because I don't have that model and I chose to limit my

comments to that which I have! Duh! I will allow someone who has that

model or who has extensive experience with them to comment! But that doesn't stop you! But I might suggest that perhaps it should.

I

have the HGS18 Series IIs, and I did comment - only to be debated by

you with your extensive experience telling us that they are inadequate.

Really!? I disagree, but what or why would I know? And what would

SunburnWilly know? Or what would theEAR know? Heck, we only have the

damned things!

It

is humorous to watch as some of us limited our comments to that which

we know firsthand, only to be debated on the matter by someone with

less knowledge and experience. Its nice to learn that "some do not

believe in subwoofers..." But some of us do.

please read my last paragraph again. I have listened to them for maybe not days like you have but maybe for two hours. I usually can tell if I like it or not within 5 minutes.

I have listened to them for maybe not days like you have but maybe
for two hours. I usually can tell if I like it or not within 5 minutes.

Oh, then nevermind, as what could all of those who consistently disagreed with you know.

We stand corrected! [:S][^o)][:|][:P]

Wow you guys really go at it huh? lol Good times anyway,Does velodyne go best with a certain receiver?

What reciever brand do you guys find the most impressive,I will give three options that I like and may consider buying,The DenonAVR3806,PioneerVSX-84TXSi,and the OnkyoSR804, I will hook up a RF-82 surround system to it,I want one that will run the sub well,for movies and music. I know alot of people say go seperates,But I am not knowledgeable about seperate amps and such.I will just be going good ol LFE or with the split for left and right channels,idk if that even makes a difference?Going with the left and right inputs? So basically does anyone have a perferance on receiver brands? I know the Denon is not THX Select2 Certified,would that make a difference in surround sound quality?

No we do not go at it.

You see Jay here likes to argue(arguments are good to have) and yet MAS here won the argument. He loves the Klipsch subs,they are good...I have FIVE Klipsch subs(all the upscale models BTW).But the upscale Velodyne subs are simply of a quality and refinement the Klipsch does not match,PERIOD.

He gets mad and tries to persuade people,the Velo is missng output...or may be missing output.The Velo sacrifices this and that. The matter of the fact is Velodyne HGS and DD series subs have EARNED a reputation the AHEM I WILL NOT SAY can hope to get. Why,because Velodyne servo subwoofers are simply superior when ultimate quality is paramount or you listen more than BOUM,KABOUM..a BADING and a rare PATOF.

Listening in a showroom,and for a few minutes is not even worthy to me. You have to listen to a properly set up sub at home where you know your room. Any other evaluation is flawed and not even worthy of mention. But what do we owners know? Ha what do i know about Klipsch...I only own FIVE of some of...the best subs they make. And more subs most High-End shops have in stock. What do I know? Hmmm

No we do not go at it.

You see Jay here likes to argue(arguments are good to have) and yet MAS here won the argument. He loves the Klipsch subs,they are good...I have FIVE Klipsch subs(all the upscale models BTW).But the upscale Velodyne subs are simply of a quality and refinement the Klipsch does not match,PERIOD.

He gets mad and tries to persuade people,the Velo is missng output...or may be missing output.The Velo sacrifices this and that. The matter of the fact is Velodyne HGS and DD series subs have EARNED a reputation the AHEM I WILL NOT SAY can hope to get. Why,because Velodyne servo subwoofers are simply superior when ultimate quality is paramount or you listen more than BOUM,KABOUM..a BADING and a rare PATOF. Now now theear play nice and don't bring in little boom box boom boom comments you do as you like to make fun of everyone who doesn't have as many or as good subwoofers you claim to own.

Listening in a showroom,and for a few minutes is not even worthy to me. You have to listen to a properly set up sub at home where you know your room. Any other evaluation is flawed and not even worthy of mention. But what do we owners know? Ha what do i know about Klipsch...I only own FIVE of some of...the best subs they make. And more subs most High-End shops have in stock. What do I know? Hmmm Well sorry for not making enough income. Are you going to make fun of me because I don't have as much disposable income to walk into a store, buy it, set it up in my home, and then set it on fire If I don't like it?

Hi theear, I guess you like living in lala world. I have an opinion, the subject was "Any Velodyne fans out there???" I stated a statement. Since it was any velodyne I said there was better out there. And then I get hog tied like those svs people love to do when someone nay says against their famed svs out there. And then everyone jumps out and goes well I have two HGS18 or DD18 and do not realize that maybe some others don't have the money to buy the flagship. Maybe the original poster wanted to know about the lower end models. By just saying a blatant they are the best does no help as you are not comparing the item to anything else except give a 3rd grader response of its the best. Hmmm who else does that, Bose owners tops that list.

Wake up,wake up.

You stated Velodyne sacrifices output referencing to the SERVO CONTROLLED series. Do you realise what you posted? Stating they SACRIFICE SPL. Yes they do and still you can see more than happy owners of Heritage Klipsch speakers(the best and the original PWK designs)and people who found the "lacking in output" per your saying,to be an outstanding match...not lacking any power or extension at all! Oh no the evil people. Firing squad for all!

And talking about the lower end Velodyne subs,the same can be said of the less costly Klipsch subs,they will all in the end not be SPL machines. As prices dictate what the designers can use. I said to listen and decide with your ears,the buyer's ears. I never started a Velo hugging thread,and neither did the thread starter.Just asked a simple question. Just reading what you post and what others here posted,the owners do not miss much if at all... you pointed some weakness!

Good to have arguments,this forum is a bit slow.

C'mon up to VT and I will let you hear my SPL and deep bass challenged Velodyne's, be prepared for SPL in excess of 125db though. I can put most theater's to shame throughout the entire audible spectrum. My HGS-15's kick ***, I used to have three of them but stepped it back to two since that was all I really needed.

The knocking on the aquarium scene in Finding Nemo will quite literally pin you to the couch with very intense sonic shockwaves that move the floor's, walls, and 2" x 12" foundation girders.

Think 7 15" woofers (5 horn loaded and 2 subwoofers) 2 12" woofers in the same room - get it?

Nuff said!

Does velodyne go best with a certain receiver?

hey man. i wouldn't call it going at it. it's actually quite comforting. when people make false statements, there are a lot of people here to correct them and provide you with the right information. you need not worry about the SERVO discussion until you upgrade to the DD or HGS. i have an SPL, no SERVO, but can still say velodyne makes a damn good sub, as you know from your 4000r. i had the 5000r and love it.

anyway, to your question. i would focus more on matching the receiver with your speakers. that department i'm not as familiar with but if you scan the "home theater" section of this forum, lots of people are asking the very same questions. you should be able to find your answer there.

good luck with your system. are you in college right now? if so, you should be able to throw some sweet college parties with your setup. tell the ladies your velo is a massaging block. ;)

jacob

Yeah I am going to be going to college quite soon actually,after much debate,in two channel audio forum section, people saying go Outlaw,go Harman/Kardon,go Rotel,and such, someone mentioned,Pioneer.I checked them all out.and the Pioneer top model VSX-84TXSi from the elite siries looked the best 140watts per channel,to 7 channels,Faroudja DCDi HD Video Scaler,MCACC controlling the speakers with the mike,the levels and such.THX Select 2,HDMI, well everything I need and it was 1500$ like half the price of the Denon with the same features.
SO THANKS TO EVERYBODY THAT HELPED ME!!!! If I have any other questions,i'll be sure to ask you guys in the forum.

Anyone ever compare the Velodyne DLS5000R against the Klipsch Sub 12 or Klipsch RSW 12 with music?

Yes The DLS5000 VS the RSW12

The RSW12 is superior in any way you want too look at it,will dig deeper,cleaner output down low,better built quality and better(higher performing) driver used. One quality class higher.

The Sub12 VS DLS5000,I have not compared them side by side. However from what I saw on the sSUb12,the DLS5000 is of better quality(built) and will have more impact than the Sub12.

Anyone ever compare the Velodyne DLS5000R against the Klipsch Sub 12 or Klipsch RSW 12 with music?

Yes The DLS5000 VS the RSW12

The RSW12 is superior in any way you want too look at it,will dig deeper,cleaner output down low,better built quality and better(higher performing) driver used. One quality class higher.

The Sub12 VS DLS5000,I have not compared them side by side. However from what I saw on the sSUb12,the DLS5000 is of better quality(built) and will have more impact than the Sub12.

Thanks Ear.

The 1812,in a class only a few subwoofers belong. In this caliber of sub I rather have a GOTHAM(on order,when it comes out I am taking delivery of the beast). Who knowsif I get a deal I may consider the 1812,it is a unique beast and geared for outstanding sound quality above all else.

what does it retail, 15000?

Before I bought my DD 18 , I almost won a demo 1812 . Floor demo , full factory warranty , it went for $150.00 over my high bid of 5K ." I was considerring the $600.00 cost for frieghting ." If I had not been at work when the auction ended I think I would have gotten it . Looking back it was probably for the best . A buddy of mine did the math and told me that it was capable of drawing 50 Amps . Perhaps a bit more than the electrical system in this old house could handle . "I still want one !"

The truth is my DD 18 has more than enough bass for my 16 x 22 room . The 5K retail for the DD 18 seems steep and it is . "I would not pay that for it ." But for a NIB DD 18 for 3K + $150 frieghting , I feel like I got a bargain . The fit and finish on this thing is Flawless !!! [Y][Y]