CDs with sub 20Hz bass?

wuzzzer

What kind of music are you looking for?

Massive Attack is one of my favorites, but it's more on the electronica industrial side. Nightwish is another favorite that is more of a gothic classical opera metal sound and then there's Ayreon which is a more classic rock feel, sped up and mixed with keyboards.

And then there's normal music like Pink Floyd or Yes.

Blue Man Group, especially their later albums are bass machines. Fat Boy Slim, Moby, and Crystal Method are probably more on the techno side, but they (usually) aren't repetitive and annoying. Some of their music has more of a rock feel too.

I don't listen to Tool, but a lot of their music will give a sub a workout - it's pretty much straight up modern rock. Some of their later albums are surprisingly not as compressed as their original offerings. There are a few more obvious bands I'm missing, but I tend to lose track. There was a thread a long while back providing dozens of measurements of music with subharmonic material.

A Perfect Circle's "Thirteenth Step" is a fine recording, similar to Tool, as it's a side project of the lead singer.

I could not believe the bass my Heresies were pumping out, everything just jumped out at me.

SVSsubwoofers website has a list of recordings they recommend to test your system and equipment.

.....................NP - Rough Cutt, via 1983 Boston Acoustic A100's.....................................................................................................

I like the Michael Brook album Cobalt Blue. Tough for any sub. The Lustmord albums The Place Where The Black Stars Hang, Metavoid & Carbon/Core have the lowest bass I've run across. This is some very dark and evil ambient/electronic music. The Michael Brook on the other hand is a weird Brian Eno with ambient/delayed guitar album with some crazy low bass lines.

oh oh oh! I forgot, check out BT's This Binary Universe. It is incredible. The CD/DVD combo is only $13-15 and the music (115 piece orchestra plus electronics) and visuals (on the DVD matched up with the music) are stunning.

http://thisbinaryuniverse.com/

The DVD is encoded in DTS 5.1 and boy does it rock. Really will put your system through the loops, and your high definition television (though, admittedly, not on HD-DVD...)

Blue Man Group, especially their later albums are bass machines. Fat Boy Slim, Moby, and Crystal Method are probably more on the techno side, but they (usually) aren't repetitive and annoying. Some of their music has more of a rock feel too.

I wondered why a few people were down on BMG.........."bass machines". Is that the same as what a synthesizer (sp?) does? When in grade school an upperclassman set up his synth******* and played for us.......that was long ago.

...sorry I can't be of help with the below 20Hz question.

ummm, "bass machines" is just slang for a lot of their music having a lot of low frequency material - it is without a doubt nothing like the crappy synth noises typically associated with booming cars going down the road...

As far as I know, all of their instruments are acoustic - no synths involved. I've seen a few documentaries where they talk about the instruments they build. Very cool stuff.

I wondered why a few people were down on BMG.........."bass machines". Is that the same as what a synthesizer (sp?) does? When in grade school an upperclassman set up his synth******* and played for us.......that was long ago.

...sorry I can't be of help with the below 20Hz question.

HUH? It blipped out esizer? wtf?

Anywho, Doc's geting some street lingo down- 'bass machines' you go Doc.

There is a Rick Wakeman riff on Myths and Legends of King Arthur where his mini moog does this run over several octaves that has to end up well below 20 Hz. I think the song is "Merlin the Magician"