Maceo Parker, any fans here?

Coytee

I stumbled onto his "Roots Revisited" (Childrens World) by accident on the radio & liked it. Furthermore, I thought the WIFE would like it and the more she likes it, the more she'll want to listen to the Jubilees!

Ok, so I'm an underhanded, sneaky rat [6]

Talked to her last night and she made comment that the Roots Revisted cd just might be one of her favorites so I said I'd get a couple more. As I look up Amazon, seems he has a bunch. I was wondering if there are any fans of his here that might recommend a 'good / better / best' listing of his stuff?

Gotta love Maceo. He started out playing with James Brown and then with Parliment Funkadelic. Great way to learn funk. Saw him live a few times and he puts on a hell of a show. If your looking for some recordings try Roots Revisted or Life on Planet Groove. Horns sound great on horns, can only imagine what they sound like on Jubilees. Enjoy the music

Do I understand this right...

"Soul Pride", is a 2 cd set and is costing anywhere from $92 to $250??? [:o]

I am really confused on that reality, or am I missing something?

Coytee,

Yes, it is a 2 CD set. No, it's not worth $92. Must be out of print. I checked e-bay and got this:

Soul Pride: The Instrumentals (1960-69) (CD, 1993)

Primary Artist: James Brown

s.gif

Best Price: $95.99

List Price: $29.98

If you can find a reasonably priced set it is well worth it.

- Jim

I have been a Maceo fan for a long time. He is outstanding.

If you like Roots Revisited then you will definitely like Mo' Roots and Southern Exposure. These albums are very similar in tempo and style to Roots Revisited. Planet Groove is a great listen also, but it is a live album and is a bit more up tempo and aggressive than the studio work.

All the Kings Men Doin' There Own Thing is also a fantastic album. It is a bit older- circa 1970. It is super funky.

The newer albums- Funk Overload, My First Name is Maceo and DIAL Maceo- are heavy funk and some rap by his son Cory. Not in the same genre as Roots Revisited. I still like these albums but they are a departure from the sound of some of the earlier albums.

i once saw maceo play for 4 hours and 15 minutes without a break. after 3 hours he came out into the crowd (small venue 100-200 folks), he laughed in our faces and told us we looked tired. he then went on an hour and fifteen minute tear. i had a friend that was recording the show. he only brought 3 hours worth of recording space. he couldn't believe he missed so much of the show. as i left covered in sweat from shakin what my momma gave me, i spied the club owner standing close to the exit. i jokingly asked him if i could get my money back. it was a great evening. fred wesley joined him for most of the set.