Big difference between RC-52 and RC62?

tgenius

I'm sorta new to Klipsch and HT, but I think there will be a big tonal difference with the RC-52/RF-82 set-up. The size of the drivers are not the only difference between the RC-52 and 62. I think the motors in the tweeters are different as well. I have a RC-62 with RB-61 mains and it sounds great.

If you look at the home theater system the RF82s are matched with the RC 62.
http://www.klipsch.com/products/details/rf-82-home-theater-system.aspx

I'm in a similiar situation. I have RF3s and went with a RC 52. Klipsch support said this...

The RC 62 would be a near perfect match in terms of a center from our Reference
IV line. However I doubt if you will be disappointed with the RC52. You might
need to turn down your main LRs slightly.

Overall,
Id say that would be a reasonably matched, well balanced
system.

I had a hard time deciding between the two (RC-52/RC-62) to go with my RF-82's, and I went with the bigger center channel. I am very happy with my choice. The dialog in movies that I could hardly hear before is clear as a bell. My center's channel level is actually LOWER than the RF-82's. I think the 52 would work, but why not go with the speaker they designed to match the RF-82's?

Beware, it is a beast. Huge. I love the way it looks on top of my TV.

By the way, I got the 62 for $350 - don't pay msrp.

• 4 weeks later...

I bet you're looking in Magnolia @ Best Buy.  For some reason they carry the RF-62 and RF-82, but only carry the RF-52 center???  I bought my RF-82s there, and almost succumbed to the RF-52s.  I looked on the net, and found a vendor selling RC-62s.  It took me two weeks to get it, but the wait was worth it.  Follow Klipsch's recommendations, get the RC-62, they sound great with the 82s.

Lou

• 11 months later...

I had a hard time deciding between the two (RC-52/RC-62) to go with my RF-82's, and I went with the bigger center channel. I am very happy with my choice. The dialog in movies that I could hardly hear before is clear as a bell. My center's channel level is actually LOWER than the RF-82's. I think the 52 would work, but why not go with the speaker they designed to match the RF-82's?

Beware, it is a beast. Huge. I love the way it looks on top of my TV.

By the way, I got the 62 for $350 - don't pay msrp.

Tell me about it. I would never pay MSRP. I paid $327 for my RC62 and they split the sales tax with me too. I also got the RF82 at the same time for $660/pr. Altogether I walked out at $1019 (out the door) for the pr of 82s and the 62 center.

I'm curious about the difference between the two besides the woofer size. Are there any other noticeable differences? Would an RC-52 work OK with RF82s?

I just had this discussion on AVS the other day. I actually auditioned a pair of rf82 with a 62 and a 52. I ran them through an AVR that was similar to the one I would use at home. 90w/channel. I turned off the sub and surrounds so that all there was, was the fronts and center.

The difference was not night and day. The 52 was fairly close to the 62. The sound effects were more clear with the 62 and the dialogue was a bit louder with it. In the end I thought that I could skimp by and get the 52. It would have saved me around $110 (RC52 for $217 or 62 for $327 NEW). But the more I thought about it, I decided to go with the 62. Why, you ask?

Well it really had nothing to do with the way it sounded. Really, I liked the fact that the 62 was a monster sized center. Most of my buddies have HTIB systems, and I thought it would be funny to have such a Huge center compared to all my friends. A little bit of EGO I guess.

The other reason I went with the 62 is because that it what Klipsch reccomends. I figure, that they know thier system better then me, so I should listen to the experts.

Other then that, I cant really make a decision for you. But I can tell you this, I would go with the 62 again if I had to do it all over again.