OLD vs NEW (Please Help)

jdzimme3

I am thinking of getting a couple of Klipsch floor speakers and I am trying to decide between the Heresys or something more modern along the lines of the RF-7 ,RF-82 (other suggestions would be welcome). Could you please tell me what the advantages/disadvantages are between the older Klipsch products and the newer. Thanks for your help!

Klipsch continues to develop and improve their speakers over time, but the simple fact is that they have made fantastic products for a long, long time. I have a pair of KG 5.5's that I purchased in 1997 or so, and they are fantastic. I recently upgraded to a Denon AVR-3805, and my DVD connections went from analog to toslink. I was simply astonished at how good these speakers sound now. 

You can probably go "up the line" and get higher end speakers by going used, and that might be a great option for you.

Sorry this isn't quantitative, but I hope it is of some help.

Joel

• Moderators

To be fair to you, go find some some and listen. You will be the one to listen to them everyday, find the sound you like.

NONE of the ones you listed have any problems sounding great, especially compared to other brands in the same price range.

And there are many people on this forum who have the same speakers you listed, and picked those models because of something they liked about them.

What did you have before, and what did you not like about it ? What kind of music, how loud, how big is the room ? Others will ask these questions anyway to help.

Welcome to the forum

The RF7 and RF83 are in the same league. Same woofer cone area (roughly). 83 has a bit more and is smoother imho. Klipsch intends to improve the quality of our top speakers as the Reference line evolves so it's a fair guess that they think the 83 has the upper hand also. Add to that the fact that you can get a complete matching set brand spanking new and that the new surrounds have the 'THX' design and I think it's a pretty easy decision.

I'm a Heritage freak, but if I had to chose between Heresies and the new Reference series, it wouldn't be close. I'd go with the Reference line.

If you have a big room (5000 CF+) and good corners, Klipschorns are the cat's meow. The new Khorns are significantly better than the older, stock Klipschorns (networks need updating for starters), but the Reference line is flexible with regard to placement and are MUCH smaller in profile.

I have a Klipschorn-Belle-Klipschorn front array (with a Danley sub thrown in) that will handle anything you throw at it. That being said, going down that path requires the right room and a totally sober agreement from your significant other that you won't get thrown out of the house. It took a decade, but my wife loves Klipsch Heritage for how it sounds, and she certainly doesn't mind how it looks!

Chris

I intentionally avoided the question in my first answer, now the truth.....BUY NEW HERITAGE ........they will outlast you !

..And they sound better.

Jd

Try the search engine for the very topic, lots of good reading. Reference & heritage, whether new or used, have an overall similar sound yet are quite different. Heritage sound wider, bigger & more pleasing to me & I own some of both. Finding reference to hear is relatively easy whereas finding a heritage dealer is difficult. Perhaps you can find a forum member close to you so you can listen.