RF-7's needing amplifier

Iceman

I just bought a pair of RF-7's (upgraded from RF3-II's) and I'm in the market for a new amplifier. I'm overwhelmed by how many choices I can find online for receivers but disappointed when it comes to straight up amplifiers. I am currently using a Yamaha RXV 2300 (rated at 110W x 6) which I'm using to drive my RF-7's and an SVS PCS 12+. I'd like to upgrade the amp so that I can route more power to the RF-7's to unleash their potential. As I said, I've looked for amplifiers online a bit, but it seems that you have to either spend well over $1,000 to get an amp with decent power. Why is it that receivers are rated (at least advertised) at power levels of around 100W for only a few hundred dollars but to get a mere 2 channel amplifier with the same power rating per channel costs a lot more? Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I should buy or look into? I don't want to spend more than a thousand dollars and I'd like to spend somewhere closer to $750. Is it even worth the money?

Any advice is most appreciated.

Thanks

• Like 1

An avr seldom makes rated power and has other things in the box sharing power etc.A stand alone amp has one job,everything in the box is designed to do that one job. A good 2ch amp can be had for about $500,more or less if you look around.You might consider used from Audiogon etc.

Iceman,

I began with a pair of RF 3's driven with a Yamaha reciever.

I then picked up a Rotel RSX reciever, and was amazed at the sonic changes. The music sounded a lot fuller, not nearly as bright, and had a warm feel to it.

I then sold the reciever, grabbed an older RSP pre-pro and an RMB 1075 amp (both Rotel) and did so at a reasonable price off of epay or audiogon.

I moved to the 7's, changed to an Rotel RB 1080 amp (around 700 used)(850-900 new) which was my favorite ss amp with the 7's, an RSP 1068, and even tried their beastly RB 1090 (380/side @ 8 ohm).

I have since gone silly on the 2 channel, with tubes, by stuck with a Rotel 1056 reciever for ht with the 7 series speaks.

Rotel rates their gear on the conservative side, are a well manufactured piece, can be had used reasonably, and sound very good with the Klipsch speaks.

Good luck, and enjoy the ride........

Thank you for the suggestion. I looked into the Rotel 1080 and I have to say I was impressed. It seems like it would have the right amount of power for th RF-7's and if it pairs well with them as you said I think I will go for it. I'm trying to find one online (I could go used or new) but all the new models seem to go for $1000. Do you know of anywhere that I could purchase it discounted? I would also buy it used, but all the used 1080's that I found had already been sold.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

• Like 1

If you have time you'll find one (1080) for about $600,a member here sold a nice one for about that a while back.If you want new just go tell the dealer you'll buy one at 20% off,talk quick deal,happy customer etc..If that fails find a custom installer in your area and tell him you'll buy one for 20% off.I have purchased both ways.I told my Rotel dealer I'd rather buy from him(and I would)but I can go get it for 20% off by driving 30 miles.

I have a Rotel RB-990bx that I have considered selling. It is rated at 200w x 2. I would take $400 + shipping. The previous owner also powered B&W's with it. Just got it checked out and cleaned by a technician this week. I havent tried it with my Forte II's yet, but the amp is rated at 2x the recommended power of the Forte's. I am afraid to overpower them and would buy something with a little less power.

One of the best amps to use with the power hungry RF-7's is the Earthquake Cinenova Grande series. They are rated as the best over $3K category by Home Theater in Sept. '06. I have one available for alot less than that.

I also use it with my Dean's upgraded RF-7s.

There were a few Mcintosh MC-2200's on ebay this week.  200 WPC.  Price's of the ones sold ranged from 300 - 600.  Prices of the ones unsold were in the 900 range.

i am hopeing to acquire a set of rf 7's soon and this thread has me thinking.

i went to a old ref. series catalog and see what the ' power handling ' number for the rf 7's is. it is 250 w (1000 w peak).

does this mean that the ideal capabilities of this speaker are best heard with a 250w/ch amplifier ?

if one has a 140w/ch amp is there really anything lost in not haveing the 250w/ch amp.?

what would be the lowest w/ch amp for average use with rf 7 ? or maybe that is the right question. is it what is the highest ?

got a 140 amp do i need a 250 amp ?

just wondering

thanks

paul

Paul,

that is very dependant on your taste in music, the room size, and how loud you like it.

My first tube amps (which began the addiction) were Antique Sound Labs AV 20's, @ 20 watts each.

They sounded wonderfull listening to jazz, simple blues licks, nothing to complicated.

But, when I was in the mood to dial it up a bit, 20 watts petered out, and was obviously not enough.

I have a VTL 150 wpc amp that will never leave the 7's. Depending on my mood, I easily fill the room with sound, or if busy doing something, fill the house with sound.

My Rotel 200 wpc RB 1080 had given identicle results, but was solid state, and I am no longer an ss fan.

I had a Rotel RB 1070 @ 130 per side, which just was not as dynamic at lower volume so the 200 was a very good match.

I also had to have the RB 1090 which is 380 wpc and felt it ate to much power, versus the RB 1080 which in my setting was the most efficient, and to this day is my prefered ss amp with them.

Again, it all comes down to what you demand of your speaks, the enviroment they are in, and the flavour you are after.

Good luck and enjoy the ride.........

rsp1068

thanks for the summary. i plan on my rf7's doing front lt/rt duty for the generic a/v living room setup..... so

sounds like my 140w/ch yamaha ought to cut it.

one thing though - after reading this thread -i am intrigued at the prospect of trying out the rf-7's with my tube amp... just to check the combination out over some old lp's ...

thanks for posting

paul