McSeti has a brand new amp

seti

Fini, There is gold in them thar consoles : )

Audible, It may be a year or two before I can or will make changes but I am interested in the work you have had done to yours. Terry Dewick alread replaced many caps and I didn't question his work as he is so well regarded in the MC30 crowd.

Thanks guys I am very excited as I just got my preamp into the equation last night but I have a couple questions.

Where can I get a knob or dial for the gain and hum control for the amps? It is very difficult to run without a preand use those controls.

I have a Wright WLA12A preamp and on the back there is a low 12db high 20db gain switch but which do I use?

Also when using the preamp what level should the gain controls on the amps be set?

I am just going to enjoy these for a while before I make any changes but tube rolling will be among the first things I dive into. Steve Hoffman has a combo that he seems to think is near perfect which I may start off with. Timmikid are those mullard EL37 tubes? Hmm lot to learn didn't know you could do that : )

Where can I get a knob or dial for the gain and hum control for the amps? It is very difficult to run without a pre and use those controls?

I bought these knobs from Radio Shack. They attach with a small set screw. 

Excellent I am going to RatShack at lunch : )

Yep, MC30s are sweet indeed (maybe someday I'll own a pair).

Back when I had just my MC250 and an AMC CD8b disc player, I used no preamp whatsoever and the sound through my Cornwalls was simply glorious! It could be a pain at times adjusting the volume/balance controls on my amp, but it was a pain I could learn to live with since this Mac/Heritage combo was by far the best sounding SS rig I ever owned as far as I'm concerned! If I hadn't gone the 300B SET route instead, I'd probably still be using the MC250 today it's that good (unless I upgraded to an MC225 or a pair of MC30s, natch).[Y]

post-11084-13819321693014_thumb.jpg

Have you taken a break yet, SETI ? Probably not.....................

Not much of a break : ) On the way home Friday I bought some new music to celebrate. At one of our used CD stores I picked up Antibalas Afrobeat I, The Ventures Greatest Hits, Hank Williams Sr 40 Greatest Hits, Peter Gabriel OVO Millennium Dome Show Limited Edition. If you like Fela Kuti or Manu Dibango Antibalas is amazing African Jazz Disco funk powerfully integrated! The Hank Williams Sr 40 greatest hits is the absolute best remastered Hank Sr I have ever purchased. It was remastered from original 78s and tape and sounds beautiful. The Peter Gabriel is a top notch live recording and doesn't even seem live it is so clean. If you are a fan of his real world music label his band includes 20+ members that recorded with the Real World music label. I don't care for the songs they sing on and a couple of the instrumentals were worth the purchase of the entire cd.

As to how they sound on the MC30s delicious : ) It is great to be all tube again. I am going to wait till I have lived with these for a while before I can compare them with my Canary Audio 300B monoblocks.