McSeti has a brand new amp

seti

I freaked out and ordered MC30s from Terry Dewick a couple weeks ago and they arrived yesterday. The packages were expertly packed and included a copy of the operators manual which was cool.

The amps had already been tested and worked on by Terry Dewick which is why I bought them from mcintoshaudio and not audioclassics.

It was a bumpy start as I had a pair of interconnects and speaker cables with shorts in them. The sound was terrible. The Kaiser had to hand me a beer amd slap me around to chill me out.

We pulled out my nice TMC speaker cables removed the spades and went to bare wire to fit the terminal strip on the Belles and the Mcintosh. Now with a different pair of interconnects and properly connected bare wire speaker cables the sound is wonderful just like I remembered from Hope, AR last year. There are only thing a couple things I really dislike about vintage gear. The lack of on off switch and terminal strips.

I wanted to get an idea of the true sound of these amps so I am running them without a preamp directly from my CDP. It is a little tricky using the gain control on the monoblocks as it doesn't take much of an increase in volume to run you out of the room. I will try out my George Wright Preamp later this week and maybe even bring the sub into the equation from 60hz - 20hz. The tube compliment is ok JJ 6L6GC and some other assorted tubes picked out by Terry Dewick so I know they are ok but later on I will retube to take it up a notch.

I listened for about an hour this morning and it sounded just as clean as can be. Looks like I need to chill out and listen to tunes all weekend.

I'll post a pic soon....

Woohoo[ap][:D]

Congratulations! MC-30s were the first tube audio amps I owned way back in college and I thought I had my last pair of amps (was I really that young?). They sounded great on a pair of Bozaks...ah, the memories. I still have the Bozaks but unfortunately, I traded the Macs for a guitar. It worked out fine as after 20-some-odd years, the guitar is worth far more than those rusty, dinged up MC-30s could ever be and I did get a nice pair eventually but I fondly remember the first time I heard that sweet tube sound. They're still my favorite Mac gear. Thanks for the pleasant reminder - enjoy them.

Congratulations, seti!! Are you using Firefox? It's the only browser that lets me upload pics...

Tell me 'bout it! I use Safari and can't post pics, add links or as I just discovered today...edit posts. I tried out Firefox a few weeks ago but preferred Safari (or maybe I was just used to it) so now I'm relegated to a much more limited existence on the KForum. Pity me...

Thanks.

After hearing that pair of MC30s in Hope I just had to have them!

Fini, Firefox won't let me login to the forum so I will upgrade and see if that helps. I do prefer Safari but Firefox is good.

Ob, what do I get if I win?

I don't generally listen that loud but they hold together quite well as the volume goes up. Sheesh

I'm workin' on him all the time OB and thank you for the kind words[;)]

I spent an hour and a half over at Seti's last night trying to dial those babies in and he just needs to get himself a nice pair of ic's and I think he'll be good to go. I'm grabbing some XLR adapters for my extra pair of TMC truly balanced at the house and then I'm going to loan him my AQ Corals to see how they work before he orders some better ic's[:P]

Once we got the bad ic's out of the picture and cut the jumbo spades off his speaker cables everything tightened right up and we heard no more cable anomilies after that just that sweet warm Mac sound[:D]

He sure through me as I had no idea what he was really having me over for last night but what a sweet surprise. Congrats Bud

"Tell me 'bout it! I use Safari and can't post pics, add links or as I just discovered today...edit posts. I tried out Firefox a few weeks ago but preferred Safari (or maybe I was just used to it) so now I'm relegated to a much more limited existence on the KForum. Pity me..."

I wonder why, I use safari and can do edits, post pics, etc.

Welcome to the MC-30 club[:D] These amplifiers are truly keepers, even for those who amp swap on occasion. I will always have a system operating with MC-30s - the synergy with Heritage is wonderful, and the midrange is just to die for. They're so good, I have two pairs that I plan to keep. The look and their place in audio history make them even more desireable and an absolute joy to own.