La Scala's in the house

jtkinney

I now have a pair of 1979 vintage La Scala's that I just brought home tonight. Purchased locally in Phoenix area. The ad was misspelled "Clipsch" so others may have missed it.

Just had a few minutes listening between hooking up and putting kids to bed, but they sound great. Not even close to optimum location and they still rock the house (the dog ran upstairs to hide). The Synergy Series I have for home theater just doesn't compete.

I just had to tell someone that understands. The family is looking at me strangely!

------------------

Jim

SF-2 Mains

SF-1 Center (pair)

RS-3 Surrounds

RC-3 Rear Center

KSW-10 Subs (pair)

Yamaha RX-V1 Reciever

Yamaha CDC-655 CD Player

Toshiba SD-1200 DVD

Toshiba TN50X81 50" HDTV

Hey, Jim, that's great!

I saw that ad in the Republic, after DougDrake alerted me to it. They were listed at a reasonable price - did you get to bargain any?

I remember how happy I was when the semi-truck arrived to deliver mine, which I bought during our little trip to Hope last February. Mine are an unusual pair with full grills (the whole front's covered with grill cloth, instead of just the upper portion). My wife's comment was, "those things are going where?!" They are a tad big... Smile.gif

I feel obligated to warn you that you've just embarked on a journey of Klipsch acquisitions that'll leave your wife shaking her head in wonder (or possibly dismay). Next you'll find yourself drawn towards a good subwoofer, a matching center channel, rear and/or side surrounds... then come's the upgradeitis - next thing you'll know, you're playing with rope caulk. Pretty soon, you'll have a whole house full of Klipsches. Just ask Doug. It's not too late to resist the urges! Before you find yourself at a meeting with me... "Uh, hello. My name is Ross and I have a Klipsch problem."

I love my LaScalas, and I'll bet you will too. There's lots of info here, if you'll do a few searches.

If you're ever "up North" my way, let me know,

Ross

------------------

My System's Stuff

This message has been edited by RossVTaylor on 12-05-2001 at 07:13 AM

I started the same way a few short years ago with a beat-up Klipsch THX Home Theater System (now discontinued) and saw an e-bay ad for a pair of old LaScalas which I purchased. Since then I spent a small fortune, lost sleep hanging out on this BB, learned a LOT, traveled great distances to pick-up more old Klipsch speakers (damn they're heavy!} aquired a mass of equiptment, and have never had so much fun in my life. Have to go ...there's a guy at my front door with a net!

------------------

Soundog's HT Systems

This message has been edited by soundog on 12-05-2001 at 07:23 AM

Ross,

Thanks for understanding. I got them for $700 and I may have been the only one that called about them. They are not pristine as far as finish. Some minor scratches, chipped veneer, watermarks, etc. But they sound great.

I took my wife to look at them so she would know how big they are. They were in the son's bedroom about 10X12 and took over the room. His master bedroom has Cornwalls and there is a pair of Heresy's in the living room. He also has another pair of LaScalas that he uses for his DJ business on the side.

I am not sure where they will end up, there is not much room in the family room. As you can see I have other Klipsch speakers populating the home theater area. These might end up in the living room just for 2 channel listening.

Soundhog, if I see the guy with the net when I look through the peephole, I will go back and sit down and turn the volume up.

Jim

Doug,

Something my wife says about not pushing my luck, will slow me down for a short while. I don't have any corners where I could put K-Horns anyway.

There is a pair of K-Horns on ebay in Phoenix, for the right price I could be tempted.

What part of Scottsdale are you in? My parents still live near Pima and Mc Donald.

Jim

Jim,

Wow! That's a great price. It sounds like they were owned by a true Heritage fan, too. It's nice to keep them "in the family" so to speak.

My first Klipsches were Heresys that I got in college (that one down South 120 miles...). My first *real* speakers. I enjoyed the heck out of those and used them, with some Jensen bass speakers, to DJ lots of college parties. I still regret selling them. I've decided that I'll never, ever sell another Heritage speaker. My kids may get them, but I'll never sell.

I've attached scans (low res, to fit here) of a LaScala brochure that I just bought on eBay - oh, the silly things we do for this hobby... Anyway, if anyone wants a higher resolution scan, just drop me an email.

Ross

------------------

My System's Stuff

I got a copy of the same brochure with the speakers. Mine has a few stains on it, but is still in good shape.

I would really like to find a copy of the owners manual or whatever instructions came with the original speakers. If anyone has one for sale or would make me a copy (expenses paid), I would be interested.

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats... I've enjoyed my pair for almost 6 months now. I was very lucky to find mine on a company "for sale" website.

I've actually integrated my set into my Home Theater. The La Scala's are now mains, and my THX Klipsch KT-LCR perform center and rear duties. I'm fortunate in that my Onkyo Integra receiver has sufficient adjustment range to allow me to level match the La Scala's with the THX speakers. Although it helps to use only a 40 W/Channel Amp on the La Scala's vs 100 W amp in the receiver for the remaining channels .

:D

Gotta love the efficiency.

Lyle.

------------------

Gear: Klipsch La Scala ;THX home cinema: KT-LCR, KT-SW15

Onkyo Integra DTR-7 THX

Panasonic RP91 DVD

NAD 7140 Stereo receiver powering LaScalas

Lyle,

I just rebalanced my HT system with the LaScalas last weekend. Like you were saying, it's a good thing my Yamaha has a -10 dB setting for the main speakers or I couldn't have turned the others up enough to balance. I wonder if the guys at Yamaha had Klipsch speakers in mind when they added that setting?

I also had to crank up the subwoofers to keep up. One of these days I will have to spring for the ServoDrive Contrabass that Tom Brennan says is a perfect match for the LaScalas. Unfortunately I don't have a spare $3k lying around right now.

Jim