Koetsu Black: Anyone own or have experience with this cartridge?

• Moderators

Hello Friends,

I was wondering which forum members might currently be using a Koetsu Black cartridge or might have auditioned them or owned one in the past so I can get your insight about the sound, etc. I am currently in the market for a MC cartridge that is going to go on my Basis Vector 3 tonearm that is part of a multi-tonearm setup on my Nottingham turntable. I have been working on this project for a few months and am finally to the point where I need to seriously look at carts. (Of course I am ready to go just when the Vector 4 is being announced).

From what I have found out the Koetsu will go real well with the BBX preamp, and is a great match for the Vector. I would really appreciate hearing from anyone that owns one so that I can get your thoughts, either here on the forum, or directly to my email at tcwesq@texas.net.

(Larry and Gary, I know your sold, and rightly so, on Transfig, but for varous reasons it is not an option for me)

Thanks in advance,

Travis

A Vector 4, hm? Not on the Basis website yet, any word on what's different about it?

I had a Koetsu black maybe 20 years ago, it wasn't bad at all but too long ago to remember anything about it. I'm glad you've checked out its match with the Vector. I suggest you Google "Koetsu black" -- you'll see lots of positive comments about a very nice midrange, smoothness, and good or excellent musicality. Some question its deep bass, but not overall bass impact. Will you have a chance to audition it, particularly for desired clarity ? While I don't go for some cartridges, Koetsu is fine imo. Go for it!

Larry

• Moderators

A Vector 4, hm? Not on the Basis website yet, any word on what's different about it?

I had a Koetsu black maybe 20 years ago, it wasn't bad at all but too long ago to remember anything about it. I'm glad you've checked out its match with the Vector. I suggest you Google "Koetsu black" -- you'll see lots of positive comments about a very nice midrange, smoothness, and good or excellent musicality. Some question its deep bass, but not overall bass impact. Will you have a chance to audition it, particularly for desired clarity ? While I don't go for some cartridges, Koetsu is fine imo. Go for it!

Larry

Larry,

As per usual ,your sage advice is right on the money, and the Google search was very helpful. The V4 is supposed to be a modified unipivot and does not float as much. It is a bit more "forgiving" then the 3 from what I understand. I don't have any idea aboout the design or looks yet, I will update you when I find out more. It is supposed to have an MRSP around 4K.

• Moderators

Very nice cartridge. Smooth and romantic sounding with beautiful liquid midrange. Mine is currently listed on ebay with a dried out rubber suspension cause it sat unused for far too long.

Guy,

I always appreciate your comments on any subject. Was there a reason you quit using it? It has been a long time since I have been to Tel Aviv, but my recollection was that it was very dry there, not much humidity, does that play in the short rubber life you experienced.. Austin is not as near as oppresively humid as Houston, but it does have a fair amount of humiditiy. Is this an issue I need to be concerned about?

Travis

Travis,

It was working fine the last time I used it. I only quit using it because I bought a vintage Audio-Note Io and had it rebuilt (by Vandenhul) and then moved to the US and didn't bring it with me. I don't think that it's a matter of humidity as the weather in Tel-Aviv is quite humid. A friend of mine still uses his Koetsu which is about the same age but he uses it much more often and his suspension is fine so there's no reason for you to be concerned.

BTW, The cost of suspension replacement at VDH was less than 50 EURO at that time.

I have an '80s Koetsu Black (that I bought original with a Linn LP12 and FR64). I had it re-tipped about a year ago and still use it. The Koetsu line is sometimes described as "lush" although that's an exaggeration IMO. The Black certainly has a very lucid mid range, bass extension isn't the deepest however detail retrieval is very good. I have mine tracking at around 2 grams.

If you are buying new, I would steer you towards the Dynavector XX-2 (which I also have). It's a better cartridge - more neutral, deeper and "faster" bass and better dynamic attack on transients and for around the same outlay.

• Moderators

I have an '80s Koetsu Black (that I bought original with a Linn LP12 and FR64). I had it re-tipped about a year ago and still use it. The Koetsu line is sometimes described as "lush" although that's an exaggeration IMO. The Black certainly has a very lucid mid range, bass extension isn't the deepest however detail retrieval is very good. I have mine tracking at around 2 grams.

If you are buying new, I would steer you towards the Dynavector XX-2 (which I also have). It's a better cartridge - more neutral, deeper and "faster" bass and better dynamic attack on transients and for around the same outlay.

DHT

Thanks for your comments. Unfortunately, I am limited to Shelter, Benz or Koetsu because it is on a tradeout with a dealer friend of mine and those are the three lines he has.

Travis