RSX-5s classified as "LARGE"?

eacmen

I just got a yamaha rx-v1600 today, the automatic setup classified my RSX-5s in the front as "LARGE"? When I first got the speakers I didnt have the sub connected and I was quite surprised how well they handled low and midrange frequencies - but I dont think they should be classified as "large" (especially when I have a sub connected).

Should I override this setting?

thanks!

-peter

Each speaker is different.................Small Isn't always the best setting..............try it both ways, not a quick a/b thing either....take your time.......Large on many receivers is the default setting...and large tends to play louder............Yamaha will automatically set them for you anyway.....

RSX-5 Specifications

frequency response92Hz-20kHz ±3dB

power handling75 w continuous (300 w peak)

sensitivity93dB @ 2.83V / 1 meter

92Hz= definitely SMALL, and set crossover to 100Hz if it is variable. This is a satellite speaker, never intended for full range use. NOT large, no way.

If I'm not mistaken all the Large and small setting does is decide how much Bass response is handled by the sub woofer, Large sends full signal to front speakers, Small channels low response more to the sub. We all make these blanket statements, and in the end it only matters what the owner thinks sounds best Large or Small, not what we think is right...............try it both ways for awhile then decide...........your ears will tell what's best......

Can't you make the decisions on the Yammie, THEN do the YPAO thing?

With the Yamaha if your set to small with YPAO is goes back to large..........but you can manually change settings...I believe LARGE is also the default setting........

The old"dirty"buckster is right large is the default. With my setup up ive played with em all and I find I like em all set to large.

mmsiman, so you'e sending 20 Hz to a KG.5 when you could route it to a perfectly good sub? I agree that the Forte II's can take full range as LARGE, but in your setup I'd highly recommend setting all other speakers to small.

Be prepared to buy new rear surrounds soon.

I tried setting the mains to "small," per the suggestion of many, but I suggest really taking advantage of a full-range speaker, and letting it handle some of the lower frequencies.

All this accomplishes is effectively reducing the perceived low frequency extension of the subwoofer....if you turn the subwoofer up so that 20Hz is as loud as 2kHz, then the entire 40-80Hz octave is going to be 6dB too loud, not to mention the issues stemming from interactions between various non-collocated drivers. If you turn down the crossover on the sub to compensate, then you lose information on the LFE track (unless you also route the LFE to the mains). But no matter how you do it, you can't get away from the increased intermodulation distortion - which is the distortion PWK was originally trying to reduce by building his horns....

In fact, for an 80Hz crossover to be most effective and to ensure a smooth crossover transition, the mains need to dig down to 40Hz (one octave below the crossover point)...OR, they need to roll off right at 80Hz so that the natural roll off of the speaker contributes to the slope of the crossover (so a 12dB filter with a speaker rolling off at 12dB results in an effective 24dB crossover). In such a configuration, the low pass going to the subwoofer needs to be steeper - per the THX Ultra2 spec (24dB versus the normal 12 or 18dB).

I definetly believe in a world of compromises, but there's usually something wrong if the small setting sounds better. The entire integration process is a function of the room as well as the speaker and listening positions. Ideally you would move the speakers and subs around until the small setting sounded better - sometimes even moving the listening position too. But in cases where this isn't an option or doesn't improve anything, then you pretty much gotta forget the ideal and do what sounds best to you. The best for a single situation, however, does not mean it's the best for every situation...