Fixing Skips in Phonograph Records

pauln

thats why CDs where invented...I hated scrates on my lps...even if the trick mentined worked at stoping gross skipping...the pop and click would be unlistenable...

Not really. CDs were brought to market to replace cassettes as a convenient medium. It very well may have quite a bit to do with CDs supplanting LPs as the standard mass market medium, though.

"Adequate sound forever"

Well, I don't have a black or white cowboy hat. I do have a straw one though. It's quite a sight.

Ideally, I prefer analog. High quality (1/2" or bigger) tape would be my choice, but it's extremely unrealistic. Consumer analog tape formats aren't worth the hassle for me, so that leaves LPs. I do enjoy listening to digital as well, which is fortunate as there's quite a bit I can't get on vinyl. I'm not one of those guys that think CDs suck. I just prefer analog when practical.

Have you gotten to play with 2" tape? We mixed down from that to DAT when I was in school and it took me a while to come to terms with the sacrifice.

thats why CDs where invented...I hated scrates on my lps...even if the trick mentined worked at stoping gross skipping...the pop and click would be unlistenable...

That's a fair statement..................The CD was designed to replace Records, that's fact.......too many resources needed to make vinyl, but there were some untruths about CD's too, like you can't scratch, or destroy them................yeah right !!!!!!!!!

That's a fair statement..................The CD was designed to replace Records, that's fact.......too many resources needed to make vinyl, but there were some untruths about CD's too, like you can't scratch, or destroy them................yeah right !!!!!!!!!

The CD was invented to replace the CASSETTE TAPE. Never in their wildest dreams did they think it would supplant the LP record as quickly as it did!

The CD was invented to replace the CASSETTE TAPE. Never in their wildest dreams did they think it would supplant the LP record as quickly as it did!

No, it was intended to replace records, records are Petroleum based, at the time the was an oil shortage, you couldn't buy gasoline. It's also cheaper to make CD's than albums, more PROFIT for the Music companies...........................Cassettes were a staple in car audio, not records, remember any LP players in cars, I don't................45's Yes.............LP's NO...............think about it................

No, it was intended to replace records, records are Petroleum based, at the time the was an oil shortage, you couldn't buy gasoline. It's also cheaper to make CD's than albums, more PROFIT for the Music companies...........................Cassettes were a staple in car audio, not records, remember any LP players in cars, I don't................45's Yes.............LP's NO...............think about it................

Nonsense. The research which led to the Compact Disc began in the late 1960's, long before any oil shortage. The top brass at Phillips Corporation developed the CD as a replacement for the cassestte tape--the success of the cassette was their primary motivation to get the CD to market. Actually, the CD was somewhat of an AFTERTHOUGHT--Phillips engineers put most of their efforts into the FAILED "Laservision" project, from which was born the Compact Disc.

Of course they hoped to carve into the LP market with the CD, much as the prerecorded cassette had in the 1970's, but never in their wildest dreams did they expect the "big bang" of 1984-86 when CD sales grew at an astronomical rate. The utter failure of the "Laservison" project had probably tempered their enthusiasm.

Nonsense. The research which led to the Compact Disc began in the late 1960's, long before any oil shortage. The top brass at Phillips Corporation developed the CD as a replacement for the cassestte tape--the success of the cassette was their primary motivation to get the CD to market. Actually, the CD was somewhat of an AFTERTHOUGHT--Phillips engineers put most of their efforts into the FAILED "Laservision" project, from which was born the Compact Disc.

Of course they hoped to carve into the LP market with the CD, much as the prerecorded cassette had in the 1970's, but never in their wildest dreams did they expect the "big bang" of 1984-86 when CD sales grew at an astronomical rate. The utter failure of the "Laservison" project had probably tempered their enthusiasm.

The CD boom in the mid 80's was guys like me replacing albums we liked with Cd's............because Records were going, going, gone. Why do you think in the 90's Cd's sales slumped, we were through building our collections.............that's fact. Guys my age grew up with records, that's all we had, actually it really doesn't matter does it................It's done and over.............think what you want.............I respect your opinion................

Buck, what was intended and what happened are two different things. CDs were brought to market with the intention of replacing cassettes as a better sounding portable format. What actually happened is just as you say. Folks dumped their LPs for CDs. That doesn't mean that's why they were marketed in the first place.

My problem with the needle trick described above is that if an LP was scratched bad enough that it actually skipped, that even if the skip was fixed there would be still be so much surface noice associated with the scratch that the LP would be unlistenable anyway. I can't stand to listen to LPs that have surface noise or other pops and clicks - it ruins the listening experience for me. I certainly prefer vinyl, but I have become a lot more tolerant toward cds since I got my Mac cd player - it sounds very analog to me. This is a good thing for me because the only place in my city to get used records closed recently. I love the ritual of playing vinyl as well as the sound, but I have to admit that a well recorded cd can sound glorious and I'm certainly not the vinyl snob I used to be.

"I have become a lot more tolerant toward cds since I got my Mac cd player - it sounds very analog to me" 

Very true.

Also, If folks don't like the sound of their CD player......option is to try it thru the coax connection.