RF-7 vs RF-83

Hipgrncln

Can someone tell me the differences between the two speakers not only from an expirienced Klipsch technical standpoint but also from a listening standpoint.. Big price difference between the two. Is one worth twice the price of the other? One more audiofile than the other and if so...how so.

Many Thanks

Bob J

I have both the RF7s and the RF83s. while i cant give you a good technical description i will say the following. The price difference between the two is NOT justified. The RF7s are every bit as capable as the RF83s. The RF83s are simply a bit more refined, and a little less harsh than the RF7s. They have a bit better midrange and makes for a better all around speaker. The RF7s are a much more "live" speaker that really commands your attention. We went with the RF83s simply becuase we loved our RF7s, but we didnt want to have the exact same speaker in both the family room and the theater room, and so the RF83s worked out. I actually prefer the RF83s for music (thats all we listen to downstairs) and the RF7s for theater. But If i was buying today, with the pricing of the RF7s, i'd be hard pressed to go with the RF83s with what they are commanding. The RF7s are a very very capable and competent speaker set from klipsch with incremental improvements in the RF83s. hope that helps a little.

I bought 83's for $500 less than I paid for my 7's,both cherry finish from auth dealer.I sold the 83's on this site for what I paid,several weeks later.Only you can decide which you like best,it was easy for me.

Uh fish I think you forgot to mention they were technically B stock?

Jay,since they were in the box,in original packing and spotless,and looked every bit as good as my "a" stock 7's,and I'm sure just as good as your "a" stock 83's it don't really matter.But.......just to be perfectly clear.I bought a pair of "b"stock rf83's,which looked better than the "a"stock 83s for $500 less than I paid for my "a"stock rf7's(which look no better finish wise than the "b"83's).The sound was the only problem I had with 83's,the highs were slightly subdued,almost congested,and the big live sound of 7's was not there,I prefered my rf5's to the 83's.

Uh fish I think you forgot to mention they were technically B stock?

lol,I just wanted to mention the 83's were "b"stock,but(saying very quickly)looked and sounded just like "a"stock,as the buyer confirmed here on this site.

• 2 years later...

Thanks for your review, I have been driving myself nuts with my 83's and 7's ... It would be hard in my place to put them side by side ... I listen to TONS of hard metal do u think that the 7'S are better for that style of music

The '7s are certainly capable of handling the heavy metal! I also listen to quite a bit of heavy metal myself, on my RF-7s paired with B&K amp and Denon receiver being used as a pre-amp.

As for the 7s vs the 83s, like others have mentioned, I found the 83s to be a bit smoother, but not as "live" as the RF-7s. The '83s do have very slight edge on the RF-7s in the midrange, but not enough to get me to trade my RF-7s in for a pair of RF-83s. To be honost, the RF-7s almost seem like they were made for cranking the heavy metal on, especally if you got an amp with some balls to really make the RF-7s shine. In the end, it may truly come down to what you could get for cheaper.

the RF-7s almost seem like they were made for cranking the heavy metal on, especally if you got an amp with some balls to really make the RF-7s shine

I'll take the 7's respectfully over the 83's.......with the right amplification, they are simply impressive.