Spearker Factory Khorn clones - are they worth getting?

Ki Choi

Guys:

As I need another hole in my head, I am considering a pair of "Speaker Factory" Khorn clones located less than 20 min. from my house.

The owner couldn't confirm the driver details but thought to ask the group if I should pursue...

I figure, it would be good keep the base bin as is and put in the original Khorn frames with drivers and horns that came out of my '76 Khorn from the Trachorn/Beyma upgrade...

post-13547-13819321965842_thumb.jpg

I am sure you would be asking...what's the $$$? The seller wants $650.

So the end of the project could be K-77 tweeters, K-55Vs, in Klipsch motor boards(?) sitting on top of Speaker Factory bass bins with mistery woofer (the seller thought they had EVs but couldn't be sure) and BEC AA's. I could even butcher them to experiment with closed backs, etc. (You can see I am self-justifying why I need to get them...but I need your help to come up with a compelling story to tell my wife). Thanks.

Those look pretty good.

The most common SpeakerLab K's have the same drivers as a Khorn.  The SpeakerLab K's fetch a price in the area of 400 - 600 a pair.

Not sure what the driver set is in "speaker factory" brands, or even if it is a Khorn bassbin.  If it is a khorn bass bin, and you are getting klipsch type drivers, 650 is a good price for these.  Your not going to get Khorns that look that good for that price.

But, 650 is not that far from 1200, and 1200 is not that far from 2500, and 2500 is not that far from 6000, so it really depends what your goals are.  

But, 650 is not that far from 1200, and 1200 is not that far from 2500, and 2500 is not that far from 6000, so it really depends what your goals are.  

I DO like the way you think

I just recieved a box that's ticking....I guess I should have put some more thought into my response before I said anything.......a lot of upgrade's will not get sold if we endorse going straight to Jubilee's.

Just talked to the seller.

He confirms they are not Speaker Lab Ks but Speaker Factory made from the same period. Also he was honest enough to tell me the photos came out better than the speakers' actual condition...

I guess I will be the voice of caution.

In all fairness these appear to be an unknown animal. They may look like a Klipschorn on the outside, but we have no idea how faithful the inside construction and geometry compares to the real thing. My suspicion is that there a number of details that can be messed up and lead to a degraded sound. There have been many clones made over the decades that had all sorts of problems. I believe PWK lamented over sub-standard clones that were available (and not just at the level of lost revenue) that were giving a bad name to the real thing.

Yes, one can swap out transducers and crossovers but the basic geometry and construction remains. When you look at the construction of the Klipschorn you will see a number of flares in 2 dimensions (planes). These could be a real headache to setup and cut. We are assuming the person who cloned these did not take any "short cuts". The devil is in these details.

-Tom