Heresy II project

rcarlton

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watch that inside outside stuff. Changes in humidity will cause you trouble. I did my glueing outside and after attaching moved the speaker back inside to try and maintain a stable humidity level. If you're working in the garage with that glue don't forget that a gas appliance like a water heater or dryer can ignite the fumes. A house burned not to long ago because someone was painting cabinets in the closed garage and the water heater set off the fumes. Could make for a bad day! [D]

Just snagged a pair of poorly painted Heresy I's. Appear to be raw birch. Can't tell the year, labels are gone and no serial number stamped on the speakers. Looks like I'll have 2 pair of Bubinga Heresy's.

Been thinking about the walnut Heresy II...a few coats of BLO and it will look like it came fresh from the factory.

Remember the edge pieces curling? Figured the large pieces would also curl. So I taped them down and then glued. Eliminated splitting of the grain. Worked nice.

Additional note: In retrospect, I should have sprayed a light mist of water to the veneer. The water mist on the opposite side would have reduced curling.

post-18740-13819325092598_thumb.jpg

Disaster[:'(]! Yesterday the weather changed in Dallas for the cooler...no big deal...speaker is in the spare bedroom. Woke up this morning and found the veneer covered with little cracks running with the grain. Oh, no[8o|]! suspect three things could have happened:

1. Water based contact cement caused veneer to shrink once it was dried.
  2. Temperature in the spare bedroom dropped below 65 degrees...I checked the temperature...62 degrees.
  3. Having the furnace on all night decreased the humidity and caused the cracks.

Problem was using water based contact cement. No big deal...only loss is some of my time and 2 18"X38" pieces of veneer. Have 10 more left. Will fill in all the cracks with putty, sand with 150 sandpaper and reapply veneer this weekend. Should go much faster since I'll know what I'm doing[:)].

I am not familar with this problem, I assumed the low temp would cause the glue to lift at the seams or something.

How small are the cracks, is it something that would fill in when the oil is applied?

In spite of yesterday's headache, this project is going to look fantastic.

Good Luck,

-Tom