OT: Keyboard stroke question for Windows

Mighty Favog

Many applications are standard designed that once the curser has tabbed to the check box, hitting the space bar generates the character for "affirmative" be it a check, "x", dot, stroke, solid square, etc. Try this first. Check with your application developer if this is not the case and request it as a standard for upgrades and future applications.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

To type special characters of the font in your word processor or page layout program, hold down the Alt key, and then, by using the numeric keypad, type 0 (zero) followed by the corresponding decimal character code. Make sure NUM LOCK is on.

You might look at the character maps for the different fonts - the character codes are shown there for the different fonts. From the Start menu bring up the Run window and enter CHARMAP; or, from your Start menu mouse over Programs, Accessories, and System Tools, and then click on Character Map. If you don't see the Character Map listed in the System Tools, use the instructions at the end of this note to install the program.

A way to input Unicode characters is the hexadecimal entry method that works with WordPad (2000, XP and higher) and Microsoft Word (2002 and higher). Basically you type a character's hexadecimal code (in ASCII), making corrections if needed, and then type Alt+X. This will replace the hexadecimal code by the corresponding Unicode character. The same key combination ALT-X can be used to reveal a characters code. If one or more hexadecimal digits precede the hexadecimal code, you need to "select" the code so that the preceding hexadecimal characters aren't included in the code. The code can range up to the value 0x10FFFF, which is the highest character in the 17 planes of Unicode.

With Windows Character Map you can also just insert special characters into documents and the Test window using copy/paste, but it is a little tedious having to use the mouse. In the Character Map select the appropriate font. Click the letter or symbol you need and click the Select button. Add more characters if needed and finally click the Copy button. Now go to your document and select Paste from the Edit menu or use the shortcut Ctrl-V.

If Windows Character Map is not installed on your system follow these steps:

Click your Start menu, mouse over Settings, and then click the Control Panel.

Double-click the Add/Remove Programs menu.

Click the Windows setup tab, scroll down the menu, and highlight the System Tools.

Click the Details button.

Place a checkmark next to the Character Map listing.

Click OK.

Click Apply.

Tom, I don't know the entire answer but in the couple applications I use (platform provided by our broker/dealer) we simply hit the space bar to activate the checkmark.

It's not in front of me as I type, but as I recall... we'd hit the tab key to get to for example "question #5" and once that line is earmarked by the cursor, the space bar will check or uncheck that appropriate box.

Hope it helps some... if no help, I'll refund twice what ya paid me!

[;)]