anyone wanting to upgrade TT ? / make serious offers on great table

joessportster

i recently posted my clearaudio champion level 2 with origin live silver for sale and have decided i will consider partial trades twords the table, tube audio gear, klipsch speakers (of course), cartridge MC only, collectiable vinyl classic rock type, cables etc........... just thought i would let you guys know shoot me emails if anyone is interested (joespride02@yahoo.com)

Joe

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i cant seem to load pics here on the forum,(everytime they upgrade the forum i am able to do less and less, or it goes down more and more) anyway it is listed on a-gon, its the 1 with the blue record on it in the pics, it comes with table, weight, origin live silver, and pete riggle vtaff for vta adjustment on the fly, i can email you pics if you like i just need your e-mail address

1170446325.jpg

1170446326.jpg

joe

Joe, I looked last week and couldn't find it, looked again tonight and still couldn't. www.augiogon.com, right? Went to analog, turntables, both times couldn't find yours. Maybe throw up a link, even if it is copy/paste? Or double check your listing, could it be under something besides analog/turntable by accident? I don't know, but I know I can't find it. BTW... I'm not in the market, I just like to look at pretty things.

$2450 that's helpful info.  I always include prices in anything I offer up to the forum and certainly encourage others to do so on the first pass.

Would this turntable remove pop's, static, and related "vintage" noise from used records?   Meaning, are these noises record conditions or a function of the TT.   New records seem to sound fine on my Pioneer PL-530 with a Pickering XV-1200E cartridge.  But it seems any (all) records I buy from the forum, always has the "vintage" record sound.   Is that because of wear pattern differences between my new needle and the used needles of others?

I could spend some money on a TT that is "vintage" sound proof....not sure if I need to go to a $2450 dollar level.  

What would this TT provide in terms of features and benifets?

$2450 that's helpful info. I always include prices in anything I offer up to the forum and certainly encourage others to do so on the first pass.

Would this turntable remove pop's, static, and related "vintage" noise from used records? Meaning, are these noises record conditions or a function of the TT. New records seem to sound fine on my Pioneer PL-530 with a Pickering XV-1200E cartridge. But it seems any (all) records I buy from the forum, always has the "vintage" record sound. Is that because of wear pattern differences between my new needle and the used needles of others?

I could spend some money on a TT that is "vintage" sound proof....not sure if I need to go to a $2450 dollar level.

What would this TT provide in terms of features and benifets?

Huh?????

Gary--I think he wants a table/arm/cartridge that is forgiving in terms of surface noise and clicks/pops but still sounds great.

In my experience the most forgiving of all set-ups have VERY heavy arms and cartridges that track at more than 2.5 grams.

That means, you should be looking at FR, SME 3009/3012 and Ortofon arms with Ortofon SPU, FR, Ikeda type cartidges.

And that also means you should also be looking at old, rim-drive tables like the Garrard 301/401, Thorens TD-124, etc.

You might not get the last nth of detail with a set-up like this, but it will be MUSICAL and forgiving. I will always have a table of this flavor in my main system.

Would this turntable remove pop's, static, and related "vintage" noise from used records? Meaning, are these noises record conditions or a function of the TT. New records seem to sound fine on my Pioneer PL-530 with a Pickering XV-1200E cartridge. But it seems any (all) records I buy from the forum, always has the "vintage" record sound. Is that because of wear pattern differences between my new needle and the used needles of others?

I think I know what you're describing -- good (?circular definition of "good"?) tables, arms and cartridges more than others seem to minimize scratches and pops, but not remove them, certainly not entirely. (I am not familiar with this table, arm or cartridge.) Part of the minimizing seems to be an ability of the better stuff to separate out the noise from the music, both in a spatial sense and a less aggravating noise.

Different needles (styli) have different shapes and may play higher or lower in the groove which some think accounts for different noise levels. I do think, however, that while many cartridges will play mint grooves without sounding scratchy IF the scratchiness, clicks and pops aren't there, some carts will exaggerate noise more than others when it IS there.

"Huh?????"

Let me re-phrase....

Is the "vintage" sound on used records.....pops, crackles, clicks, a record condition....meaning the record has had it.....or is it a TT issue....a lighter tracking TT won't have any pops, crackles, clicks.

I don't seem to have a problem with new records, just used ones that I buy on the forum.

So does that mean a TT like this one can use a smaller needed and ride a different position in the record groove and sound new vs riding the normal position of the groove a standard hi-grade, but not hig-end needle rides and sound "vintage" ...snap, crackle, pop.

I often wonder why  folks even bother selling records that are so noisy, but given them the benifet of the dought, perhaps on their TT, the records sound fine.  Meaning, if I send someone one of my records that sound fine on my TT, would the different wear patterns on the next needle make it also snap, crackle, pop, for the next guy.

So my question is simply, would a TT like this play any record that is trackable clear and quiet with no snap, crackle pop, because it can track deep in the groove to untouched sections of the groove or if a record does so, it will do so on all TT's....which implies the record should have been tossed rather than sold.

Allan,

That makes a lot of sense....and is a reversal in my thinking.  My thinking was if I could get  deeper in the groove with a smaller needle and lighter tracking arm, I would touch virgin record and hear that new sound.  So my solutions actually made used records sound worse, since I moved to lighter tracking cartridges and needles.  I need to get a heavy tracker to plow thru the grooves to play noisy records on.

LarryC

Now that I think more about it...makes sense.

My dad had a console tube setup with a pull out TT.  He must of had hundreds of records.  Never changed the needle in the 15 years or so he had the system.  The TT never skipped, crackled, popped, clicked, etc.  But on the other hand....there was little musical detail...it was mainly mid-range....not too much bass or highs.

Allan,

Do you notice that the heavier arms with more weight tend to wear records prematurely as opposed to arms that weigh and track with less weight? I guess it's all a trade off.

No. Nothing will wear a record our FASTER than tracking at TOO LIGHT a weight for the cartrdige. 3-4 grams tracking weight will wear a record out no faster than 1.75 grams--all other things being equal.

Tracking weight does not seem to have too much relation to record wear. I think that the wear is caused by impurities from the air being caught up in the vinyl over time. this is exacerbated by the needle passing through the groove heating up the vinyl and making it softer. The actual wear suffered is probably very little different between a tracking weight of 0.5 and 5 grams (assuming a proper setup).

As for noise reduction on a good table - not sure. I think that a decent setup provides a greater apparent dynamic range from the vinyl and so the noise is reduced in comparison to the recorded sound. At the same time in a system with a decent soundstage - as might be obtained from a good vinyl front end - the noise tends to hover around the periphery of the music and is a lot less bothersome there than it might be if it appeared to come from the middle.

The combination of the above means that record noise is less impinging on the sound in a good setup. Proper setup and alignment is, of course, essential in this regard.