Behringer Active Xover

ClaudeJ1

I think I've used all of their analog crossovers. They get the job done and seem to be rather road worthy. I'd be a bit skeptical of using them in the home, but then again I've never tired it.

I haven't played with any of their digital toys.

i have a DEQ2496, its quiet. i measured a DCX2496 about 8 months ago and it was as quiet as a DX-38. If cash wasn't an issue i'd buy a 38 without thinking twice. Mainly becuase i am used to working with them. I do however like my DEQ, pretty bouncing lights. :)

I use three in my system. As long as you can deal with their
input/output requirements they work well. They are dead silent in my
setup and I have a very quiet room.

The main problem some have is
in a ribbon cable inside gets a little loose and you get a sizzling
noise. You take the ribbon cable off, bend the pins ever so slightly
and put the cable back on and it fixes that problem. I've done it to
all of mine.

Shawn

I'm confused... Are we talking about a Digital EQ or an Active Crossover? 2 Separate Behringers that do 2 separate things - right? We have the Behringer DEQ2496 and I love it to death. I can play with that thing all day/night.

An active Crossover can change the slopes & points of where the drivers cross over - yes? Sfogg - To do this, one needs to have an amp attached to each driver?

".. Are we talking about a Digital EQ or an Active Crossover? "

The DCX2496 has both functions in it.

"An active Crossover can change the slopes & points of where the drivers cross over - yes? "

Yes, and more.

"Sfogg - To do this, one needs to have an amp attached to each driver? "

Yes.

Shawn

Wow... Sounds tricky. And possibly pricey due to the 3 amps. These 3 amps would feed into the Behringer, and the Behringer has a volume control, that once everything is set up, this volume control would act as it does on a preamp?

Can one use tube amps with this?

And, with this gadget, can one create memory settings where one can essentially create different types/slopes of crossovers.... say one setting/memory for low level listening and one for louder? That would be nice.

"These 3 amps would feed into the Behringer"

No, the pre-amp feeds the Behringer, it feeds the amps. One needs to get the levels in/out of the Behringer proper for highest resolution.

"and the Behringer has a volume control, that once everything is set up, this volume control would act as it does on a preamp?"

No. The Behringer has individual channel trims to balance drivers but that is basically it. And for optimal resolution the drivers trims should be done with attenuation to the amps to keep SNR through the Behringer maximized. It is not simply plug and play for optimal results.

"Can one use tube amps with this? "

Yes.

"can one create memory settings where one can essentially create different types/slopes of crossovers.... say one setting/memory for low level listening and one for louder? That would be nice. "

Yes, it has 30 or 40 different input memories that can be recalled from the front panel or via RS232. With the right pre-amp and with a little bit specialized software in a gizmo I build one could automate the crossover changes based on the volume setting in a pre-amp.... I don't see the need though. A nutty tweaker could drive themselves totally insane with something like this.... it gives lots of rope for one to hang themselves.

Shawn