a change of sound.......{ 1-picture }

Speedball

.........yeah, [:D]

.....focused in the center of the two speakers so it doesn't sound like it's from the speaker itself. I just thought it was called imaging......whatever it's called, it makes a big difference. I've not really been able to pinpoint instruments but maybe after a few changes to the tv stand and location of stereo stuff it will get better.

Meagin, I know lot's of soft stuff........carpet, heavy plush furniture, drapery, etc. can make a world of difference. Room treatments can really change the sound of things.

The only time I notice the sound isn't dead center, is a solo, like dual lead guitars, riffing back and forth, or a sax from the right side of the stage, on a live album, just the way it would be if live..................OK, we are on the same page...........It's ok to bust my nutz.......sometimes....[;)]

I think it depends a LOT on the recording. In my modest system, I note a soundstage on a few recordings (Elvis being one). I think it is also key to get the imaging perfect. If you get that perfect imaging and land in the sweet spot, the soundstage should appear in front of you. I can close my eyes and I am in right in from of center stage with Elvis standing right there. I can definatley hear a spacial presence on the stage, however, I can also still destinguish certain instruments or background vocals distinctly in one channel or the other. Is that a limit of the recording or a limit of the gear? Recalling a lot of the notable review(er)s on the Internet, they talk a lot about soundstage and how it is greatly enhanced with certain equipment. Is this true, but only to a certain extent? Does the price/soundstage ratio exist? Does the higher end equipment portray a soundstage that is enjoyed in sitting areas other than the sweet spot? Some of you pros chine in here. I am very interested in this.

Here is a link to such a review. The guy talks about rolling in the review amp on a familiar recording; "The soundstage opened out beyond the speakers, the drummer shuffled back a couple of yards behind the band and music flooded out."

http://www.tnt-audio.com/ampli/audion_e.html

Rick

To really fire things up, I think you need to tuck a tube amp under that blanket....

Interesting choice of treatment. But I have to ask....what spurred the experiment? I have a hard time envisioning someone asking themself "Hmmm, I wonder what a blanket here might sound like" [:)]

I wonder if your cleaned up soundstage isn't the result of less reflections from the front wall - reducing that same phasey sound you get when the main speakers are outta phase. Btw, is your room symmetrical?

Dr Who......over on audiogon I've seen other peoples systems with a heavy blanket thrown over it for one reason or the other and could never figure out why, yesterday over there somebody mentioned covering their tv components or whatever with a heavy blanket and comething clicked in my head. I grabbed a small throw my wife has been keeping at the end of our couch and threw it over everything.

Now you have me thinking.......I'm pretty sure the speakers are in phase but I'll check again or maybe covering that front wall with something heavy will make a difference.......Thanks. The somewhat rectangle Liv. room has the one opening to the hall, and the other end is open to a small 8'x8' Din. room. Behind the couch is a huge picture window that is wide open to the world with small very sheer drapes at each end.

I've also read that tubes somewhere in the chain really help with the imaging.

I use a thin 2' x 4' x 1" fiberglass panel to cover the TV screen when listening. It probably only reduces the high frequencies, but it makes a difference to imaging.

You mentioned adding a cabinet to house the TV. I wouldn't know for sure without trying but I would bet a cabinet would increase your imaging problems. Basically you will be putting a bigger box into the soundstage.

Front projection seems to be the only way to get the box out from between the speakers, but I don't want to put up with the fan noise from the projector. Life is a collection of trade offs.