HDMI input on TV but not on receiver

Hard 21

I was looking on-line at the Harman Kardon DVD 47. My TV has an HDMI input, but my receiver does not. Can I connect the HDMI to the TV for Video and the coaxial out to the receiver for audio? This seems like it would work, but since the HDMI carries audio and video I'm not sure, because I don't want the audio going to my TV.

Yes - I have a Denon AVR-1907 (No HDMI - In or Out)  I am running an HMDI Cable from my Dish Receiver Directly to my Phillips Plasma for the video.  I am also running an Optical Cable from the Dish Receiver to my Denon for the audio.  Audio will go to the TV speakers, but turn them completly off.  Works like a charm.

Lou

Check your DVD menu to see if you can disable the audio signal from being sent through the HDMI output. Otherwise, why don't you want the audio going to your TV? Your DVD player will send the audio through both the HDMI and the coaxial digital out at the same time.

I'm assuming he doesn't want the audio to go over HDMI so he doesn't have audio coming from the TV and the theater system at the same time (assuming he uses his audio system for all applications).

But anyway, in a lot of cases you can just disable HDMI audio within the TV itself. But your application of using digital coax and the HDMI should work just fine until you upgrade to an HDMI receiver.

I have a function on my tv that changes the way my speakers on the TV work in relation to my connected HT. I just go into the audio options on my tv and change to either variable audio out or fixed audio out. Both of these functions turns off the speakers on the TV, but allows the audio out on the TV which is connected to a pre-amp to be played though my HT either variable (volume adjustable though the tv remote) or fixed (audio only adjustable though the HT receiver). Hopefully this may help some.