Can you choose one of these amps for the Corns: Eico HF-81, HK Citation II, Scott 299d or Fisher SA-100?

lorcoll

MV-50 is a nice amplifier. At least as good as any of the above. Very sensitive to the type of 6cg7 tube used as phase splitter. I don't know which type you're using but RCA Cleartop 6cg7/6fq7 will do wonders to the sound. GE 6cg7s sound very lean and dry in this amp.

I'd experiment with tube rolling before even thinking of buying another amplifier.

If I buy a 120volts amp I need an inverter for 230volts so, if I buy a Leak Stereo 20, I don't need that other component.

From your answers I think that the Leak ins't inferior to Scott or Eico and I can easily find it in Europe (less shipping costs and customs).

Is this a definitive good choice?

• 4 weeks later...

Last year I bought a Fisher X-100 all original. I replaced the output tubes with nos Sylvnia 7189s and put in some new Ei 12ax7s from Yugoslavia and didn't touch anything else. I've considered sending it to Craig to have him go over it but it sounds great just the way it is. So good in fact that my vintage McIntosh ss gear is now up for sale.

lorcoll

"If I buy a 120volts amp I need an inverter for 230volts so"

Not if the unit has 2 primary windings in the transformer.   Wired in parallel will allow it to work where 110/120 is available.  Wired in series will allow it to work where 220/230 is available.