Can you choose one of these amps for the Corns: Eico HF-81, HK Citation II, Scott 299d or Fisher SA-100?

lorcoll

In this order - and presuming a refresher course from Craig:

H-K Citation

Scott 299

Fisher

Eico HF-81

Stereophile did a recent review of the Eico. I personally never met one I especially cared for, but there are those on the forum who swear by them. As most Eicos were kits, getting a good refit is almost an imperative.

Citations are well thought of, although they had a reputation back in the day as running really hot and being rough on tubes.

I used to have a Scott 299. Always liked the three little "jujubees" in the middle of the faceplate. As I recall, a bit dark sounding, which is not always a bad thing with horns.

Fishers were well thought of in the day, too, forming the "second tier" with Scott, H-K, Pilot, Sherwood, and Dynaco in electronics in the early days of stereo. Those who couldn't swing the superdreadnoughts - McIntosh and Marantz - went with one of them.

Lorenzo, the Eico would be the sweetest(midrange based) sound. The Scott 299c would be my second choice, the Citation is a brute workhorse, and I wouldn't consider the final.

Do you listen loud, or are you having a cafe au lait while listening to some jazz? The Eico will present a snowball frequency response, alluring and seductively sweet. The Scott will dig deeper, jump higher, and do a little better all aroung if built properly.

Tell us what you like to listen to, and we'll get you dialed in.

HF-81 ..... Mileage will vary on condition and original builders talents, the prices are laughable since the Stereophile review. None the less IF you score a nice one they do sound sweet.

Scott 299 series factory wired and repeatable performance once rebuilt. All models sound great but slightly different C/D have a richer darker tone. A/B are my favs with great balance and detail.

Fisher SA-100 is a awesome 7189 power amp in fact my favorite 20 watt power amp from the 60's. But you will need a preamp to go with it.

HK Citation II .... Great brute force rock and roll amplifier lots of negative feedback and great specs .... I've never desired to own one myself way over rated IMHO. Again requires a preamp.

The 4 items you listed would be impossible to compare on the even playing field since two are power amps and two are integrated. I think you need to make a decision on whether you want to go separates or integrated and then relist some choices.

I may have to give the little Eico another chance, as many people whose opinions I respect seem to think so highly of them. I may wait until they're a bit out of vogue, and less pricey, though . . .

I had a 299-C. It seemed to sound a bit more "plummy" than the 299-A - darker, but with more low end energy.

Thank you NosValves,

I definitely need an integrated or a receiver amp.

At this time there are these vintage components for sale near my town: Fisher 400 (receiver), Fisher KX-100, Scott 299A, Leak Stereo 20 (with its pre Leak Varislope), Fisher X-100, Scott D99 (two mono power amps).

What can I buy?

The Scott 299A. Depending on the price, you might be better off scanning Ebay for a few weeks and just getting it shipped. Your choices increase at that point and you may stumble upon a resonably priced Eico. (Good luck - I, myself, have been waiting on an HF89 for so long I bought a set of Dynaco Mark III's)

The bass and clarity of the Eico's increase substantially if you recap them. I, and quite a few others, replaced all the caps with auricaps and spragues.

If you are hesitant to do it yourself, NosValves has worked wonders on many a Eico.

Thank you NosValves,

I definitely need an integrated or a receiver amp.

At this time there are these vintage components for sale near my town: Fisher 400 (receiver), Fisher KX-100, Scott 299A, Leak Stereo 20 (with its pre Leak Varislope), Fisher X-100, Scott D99 (two mono power amps).

What can I buy?

Any one of the Vintage units you mentioned are worth while pieces to have and listen too! I wouldn't bother with the 99D's though I personally hate having to adjust 2 separate integrated amps for stereo just seems like a huge hassle and your always wondering if the two all balanced. If I was you I would purchase by consmetic condition if anyone of them is is poor condition then you can rule it out of the picture quickly poorly stored gear never works as well as mint gear brnad and model really doesn't matter. Plus the rust bucket beater cost more to get working as best as the can. Any Leak brand piece of gear is a great investment and will surely sound wonderful but they usually command a high price. Really not a lame duck in your list as long as they are rebuilt and working properly. The best deal would depends on cost and condition. Keep in mind that after 45 years these pieces may still work but about 99% of the time they are not working or sounding as intended without a rebuild.

Craig

Not knowing the intangibles - price, condition, cosmetics and all - I'd lean towards the Leak. Look at HiFilit.com to find out a bit more.

The two monos could rapidly become a headache without some kind of stereo adaptor - setting balance and all.

I was writing this before Craig's post hit, so let me add "Yeah, what he said."

To many variables when it comes to vintage. Depends on the electircal condition of the units. One could of been rebuilt with quality audio grade caps and the other with 25 cent toaster oven caps or they could both be 100% original which means you will have to have them rebuilt sooner or later (sooner being very much a reality for daily usage). If these units are local too you can't you audition them?

The Leak Stereo 20 costs 650.00 euros (only the power amp) and it's in good condition.

The Scott 299A costs euros 450.00 and looks very good too.

How is the sound of Leak amps compared to the others (remember I like the warm sound)?

The good thing about the Leak Stereo 20 is that it has a very high input sensitivity and doesn't really need a preamp. You can either install a potentiometer where the HT socket is and use it as a volume control or use a simple passive preamp.

The bad thing is that it might be a little noisey due to this high input ensitivity.

I've used one with a McCormack passive line stage with my Khorns and it sounded great.

Forum member Croc, uses a Citation II with LS's and the sound is pretty impresssive.

I also liked the HF-81 with my Khorns.

Thanks to all. I still haven't an idea what amp I'll buy; for now I use a Conrad Johnson MV-50 and it have a good sound but not like I wanted.

After this discussion I think I'll search for a restored Scott 299c/d or Eico HF-81.

The best thing could be if someone here have one of these amps (preferably NosValves rebuilt) for sale.