Center channel to match cornwalls etc.

Ludovico

I am revamping my home theater setup. I would like move up to 7.1. Currently I have 4 cornwalls and an assortment of other speakers to work with (including jbl l100s, pioneer hpm 100s, old advents, ohm walsh 2s). I want an all klipsch system however and plan on using the cornwalls for front and rear channels. So, I ask the Klipsch public:

1. What should I look for in terms of a center channel. I am afraid that another cornwall would be too tall and would not sound right stood on its side. Maybe it would not be too tall? Anyone using Cornwalls as center channels? What would be the best match for cornwall besides cornwall (including speakers from other manufacturers) ?

2. What should I get for side surround channels? I happy to look into discontinued products on Ebay or here. They should not be deeper than say 14" if possible.

3. Any recommendations for the best surround processor for a Klipsch set up: I want something that is good for 2-channel audio, perhaps with some sort of "party mode." I can spend up to $2000 for this piece and expect to purchase a used unit off of Ebay, Audiogon or elsewhere.

Feel free to respond to any or all of these questions. Thank you!

Alex

Welcome, Alex,

You're off to a great start with Cornwalls! IMHO, the best center for Cornwalls is another Cornwall. The second best center is a Heresy. I've tried both and prefer the awesome Cornwall. Heresys are great choices for surround as well. One of my systems is a 5.1 All-Heresy system that sounds great.

Thanks Bill,

How do you have your center channel set up? Is it up right? I have a fairly large room to work with, but I am still concerned that another cornwall may be too tall. Perhaps removing the riser may help. I am using a front projector with the left and right front channels flanking the screen.

Thanks again,

Alex

• Moderators

I use a Forte ll on it's side for a center between 2 other Fll's. To tell you the truth I can't hear a difference because it's on the side. I sit about 10' back , so that may help, because I'm not that close.

My vote Cornwall center without question, you will be so happy because of a " perfect " match, and if it bothers you, some here have changed the mother boards to verticals, it is an option.

"It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen."

Yes, it will be great. If your seat is in front, too, you might actually prefer it too.

Besides, you can use such great lines like Alex did too... "What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got, say, pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angels' trumpets and devils' trombones. You are invited! "

Just trying to build a "horrorshow" system!

Speaking of which, should I leap at these la scalas that are up on eBay?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Klipsch-La-Scala-Floorstanding-Loudspeakers-LS-BLS-GOOD_W0QQitemZ270093598429QQihZ017QQcategoryZ61378QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

That would give me La Scalas L and R front, Cornwall center and rears with an eye towards Heresys for side surrounds. That would leave me with an extra cornwall for parts. Do La Scalas and Cornwalls match up well?

We have a standard regular Cornwall laying on its side. Sounds good. On each side, we have racks for the gear and the 56" TV spans this gap over the Cornwall so there's just about 1/4" space between the Corn & TV. It's nice to be able to slide the Cornwall out easily to work back there. I'd rather the TV be lower, but it's not bad and we've gotten use to it.

You got it, IndyKlipschFan, that is Alex from Clockwork Orange. I too am Alex and happen to look vaguely like Malcolm McDowell. "Ludovico" is the treatment Alex is given to reform him, to eliminate his violent tendencies. I suppose my theater setup has a similar function! It keeps me off the streets and out of the bars anyway.

I think I know how to solve my center channel problem, BTW. 3 Belles in front, 4 cornwalls in back. Now that's surround sound! I'd consider Khorns, but I don't have the open corners needed (windows in the way.) So if you know anyone within 300-400 miles of Pittsburgh who wants to sell 3 Belles (or even 2), let me know.