Khorn placement

clarence1948

Would tilting my speakers down to my listening position effect bass performance?

If I understand the geometry, as you tilt them forward you lose the bass bin's the seal into the corner. This would be a big negative.

Are you worried that you are not on axis with the tweeter and losing some of the high freqs?

-Tom

• Moderators

Clarence,

The rule of thumb is that you want your ear the same height as the tweeter. That rule of thumb is for a typical speaker and is just a rule of thumb. I would get a few different height chairs and try different heights before if I were you. You should even go as low as sitting on a couple of phone books. You will be surprised. At lot of rules of thumb go right out the window with these speakers. What is much more important is how far apart they are and how far back you are. How far apart are your corners?

Travis

Clarence,

The rule of thumb is that you want your ear the same height as the tweeter. That rule of thumb is for a typical speaker and is just a rule of thumb. I would get a few different height chairs and try different heights before if I were you. You should even go as low as sitting on a couple of phone books. You will be surprised. At lot of rules of thumb go right out the window with these speakers. What is much more important is how far apart they are and how far back you are. How far apart are your corners?

Travis

While I agree with Travis that the ear height the same as the tweeter might allegedly be the "rule of thumb," my ears tell me that the Klipschorn benefits from its height and the fact that the squawker and midrange is slightly higher than ear level. In fact, I used to run my Belles at regular height, which put the tweeters and the squawkers at ear level, and I ended up raising them up on cinder blocks to get them higher even before I moved them to the rear. So.......unless you hear some perceived deficiencies, I would not worry about tilting the Khorns down (unless you really want to build some sort of custom tophat).

BTW, Joe - listening to more of the jazz albums I bought off of you tonight with the "modded" system. Oh.......so good...........

Carl.

• Moderators

Dwilawyer,I d ont have the best electronics,but from my seat the center image seems to run from my cealing to the floor in front of me.Is this correct?

That is pretty typicall center image for KHorns, nice and big, mine goes very tall bu I would not say to the ceiling, and not quite all the way down to the floor, and it is ectreamly wide., Of course those are my ears. I would try some differenct heights and see what kind of differences you pick up and what you tend to prefer. In fact, stand up and listen for a bit, you are still going to get a center image with those speakers, and listen especially to the highs. Then go much lower then you think you would ever sit, like on two telephone books, and then try in the middle.

Travis

• Moderators

Clarence,

Travis

While I agree with Travis that the ear height the same as the tweeter might allegedly be the "rule of thumb," my ears tell me that the Klipschorn benefits from its height and the fact that the squawker and midrange is slightly higher than ear level. In fact, I used to run my Belles at regular height, which put the tweeters and the squawkers at ear level, and I ended up raising them up on cinder blocks to get them higher even before I moved them to the rear. So.......unless you hear some perceived deficiencies, I would not worry about tilting the Khorns down (unless you really want to build some sort of custom tophat).

BTW, Joe - listening to more of the jazz albums I bought off of you tonight with the "modded" system. Oh.......so good...........

Carl.

I agree 100%. You can pretty much throw out a lot of rules of thumb with KHorns. The way Clarence has them spread apart, in my view, is optimal and I think will find that lower is going to be better.

Travis