Wide Home Theater

chambers1517

I am planning my home theater right now. My room in the basement will be 30 x 21. I can't decide weather to use my K-horns on the long wall with center and surround Lascalas or three front Lascalas with K-horn surround. The Lascalas sound better on the short wall to me due to the fact I can toe them towards the listening position. I would also build a fabric wall in front of them to hide them and mount my screen on. The K-horns would also hide in the rear corners much better. If I use the K-horns up front on the long wall, they will be apart far enough to image well but I don't know if I would like a wide theater room as well as a more typical layout. How different do you guys thing these two setups will sound? I am leaning towards the Lascalas hidden up front I just really hate the thought of wasteing k-horns in the rear.

Just a quick comment...

With the information given, it is hard to make any real acoustical comments. But I will hazard a comment regarding the speakers.

Many (including myself) tend to like the wider front placement, but again, any real evaluation should be dependent upon the room acoustics...

But as the surround signal is bandpass limited, the KHorns would be a 'complete waste' as surround speakers. Oh, they will function just fine! But to say that they would be overkill is an understatement. If you were to opt for the arrangement with the KHorns in the rear, you would be better off selling them, and replacing them with additional LaScalas and using the profit for something else.

Additionally, I should simply keep quiet regarding aesthetics, as this is a subject where offering any opinion is akin to answering the proverbial "does this (fill in the blank) make me look fat?" You are going to like what you like, not what I like! But, personally, I am not a fan of the 'acoustically transparent' screens. But I don't like speaker grills either. If you watch movies with the house lights dark or dimmed, the speakers are not going to be apparent. And if the sight of speakers is so abhorrent, why in the heck do you have such unobtrusive and discreet speakers as Klipsch KHorns and LaScalas!? But hey, as I said, what does my opinion matter...(especially as I love the 402 horn!)

I am by no means an expert, or overly smart, but to use Khorns as a surround speaker is kinda' crazy, unless your using all Khorns........your home theatre, your money, your choice.............mas has a point sell the khorns and go to all La Scala's............Nah, keep the Khorns, you are lucky enough to own a pair.................Rethink what you want to do...............

Use the K-horns on the long front wall, Lascalla in the middle front and the sides and rear. Set it up with the Avia test disc levels do get the results you want acoustically. Then if it doesn't work go to plan "B" and unfortunaely I do not know what plan "B" is.

JJK

My K-Horns are being used as surrounds but only because of logistics.

The living room is 24X13 and has to double as a 2 channel listening room as well as a HT room. Due to windows and doors (inside/outside) I can't have the K-Horns on the long walls. The K-horns do a great job as surrounds but as MAS has mentioned, it is way overkill.

But in my case, the K-Horns also pull 2 channel duty.

All you can do is try it...What works for one may not for another.

Experiment!!! That's how you learn and have fun at this hobby!!!

JJ

Then if it doesn't work go to plan "B" and unfortunaely I do not know what plan "B" is.

Plan B = Jubilees all the way around

Mas: He's here in my area. You need to pack your truck with your toys, head on up here, give him a hand sorting this out (I'll deal with the local Sheriff department for you as you (cough) speed through town [6]). I'll even come over & help be a grunt moving those boxes around. Then you can head to my place and listen my headphones. Do you think a 402 on each ear will be large enough and qualify for full ear coverage?

I am still a few weeks away from move in date on my new house. I will have an unfinished basement and have an area to use for the theater. I should start room construction for my theater by spring. I had a center lascala behind a screen at my old house and it was great. Once the room is complete I'll be ready for some help. I heard Coytee's Jubilees and they are very impresive. Now I know where he lives maybe I can drag him over. The area I have to work with is 21x30 with 8'6" ceilings. Everything else is optional. I can build any size or shape room in this area and have any layout I want. Based on this what would be the best no compromise setup? Thanks for the help.

Welcome to the madness!!! depending on your seats.. 22 to 26 feet, (for a lot of people on here) we seem to agree it is the perfect distance wide... So your really near that ballpark with the K horns.. Congrats!!

K horns up front is a must... If you can!

Otherwise... 3 La Scalas up front, with a great sub(s) too. (BTW, you will still need a great sub for movies with the K horns!)