Blueberry is back from day spa, Cartridges have been auditioned, PHOTOS

Travis In Austin

• Moderators

Mark, consistent with his reputation for high quality and fast service, has advised me that my BBX is back from it's day spa treatment in Northern Cal., and should be arriving back any day now.

Mark, if you see this, I know from our prior conversations that the Blueberry's Jensen step-up transformers match up very well with the Koetsu, and I asusme the same would be true of Shelter and Benz. I would think the Benz L2 would be fine with the amount of gain. Are you aware of anyother cartridge matching issues or benefits with any of the cartridges below. (I am not asking you to try and reccomend a cartridge, just wondering if you have received feedback or noticed yourself if any of these cartridges tend to mate really well with the BBX w/c and or if some were not a good match.

So that means it is time to have my audio dealer bring some cartiridges over to audition. I just got off the phone with him and he is bringing a Shelter 501, 901, 7000, 9000, and 90X, a Benz woodbody, and a Koetsu Black and Koetsu Ureshi. Not sure how many we will get to listen to the first go around, but he said we will listen to all of them for as long as it takes for me to be comfortable and happy with my selection. I don't think I am even going to let him take that Ureshi out of the box. I will let you know how it goes and have some photos.

Stay tuned,

Travis

• Moderators

Bluebery arrived as promised!

I got the Blueberry from Mark right on time as promised. I posted lots of photos when I first got the Blueberry last fall and at that time our cat, Jack, was absolutely fascinated with the preamp. He would not leave its side. I was never a cat person, never owned one before and never really cared for them, but I lost a bet with my wife and poof, we got a little baby kitten about 10 months ago. Cats sure are intuitive, at least this one is. He figured out I would warm up to him if he curled up in my lap every evening. He sucks up to my wife by sleeping by her feet every night and keeping them nice and warm. Well tonight I started to take the Blueberry out of the box and he came running and it was like he had his old best friend back again. I thought it might just be a fascination with boxes, wrapping material, etc. but I have opened lots of other boxes and he might give a look, or attack the bubble wrap for a minute but then he is off just as quick as he came. Not with the Blueberry, he curls up with it, and he is just enamored with it. So, needless to say, my opinion of Jack has risen immeasurably, after all, a cat that is into a preamp more then I am cant be too bad. I think I can officially say that the Blueberry has once again passed inspection by Jack and he has given it his Official Seal of Approval. Either that or he is getting high off the tung oil.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Here is a couple of photos of the BBX, and then a couple of the turntable. The Basis Vector tonearm at the back of the unit, and that is the one we are working on finding a good cartridge to match with it over the next few days.

Travis

post-15134-13819325776366_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

Your cat is very suave! Are you going to be auditioning those carts with the BBX soon?

I don't know about suave, but he has great taste! Yes the cartridges start coming over this weekend, Koetsu, Shelter and Benz, those ones I mentioned at the beginning of this post. I did some more checking and the outputs for Shelter are listed as follows:

501 0.3mv

901 0.5mv

7000 0.5mv

9000 0.6mv

The Benz wood body of course comes in 3 output variations, 0.3mv, .8mv or 2.5mv

The Koetsus are .4mv.

So I am looking forward to trying all of them in one confguration or another, all except that Ureshi that is, think I will just look.

Travis

So is Jack (the attack cat/the shredder) still attacking anything that moves and shredding it? This is the Jack I remember from the Klipsch party. It sounds like he is calming down. I thought he would but dang he was a handfull!!!

post-13699-13819325789414_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

James,

I forgot about those photos, that is when he still had blue eyes; now deep green. He has mellowed out a lot, but he can still have his moments. Kelly's hands and arms are not nearly so torn up and scratched. He can be scrappy once in awhile, but I like that. I figure better us them the grill cloth-I sure would have to go down for killing a cat.

Travis