Pre/Pro suggestions?

oldtimer

I just took possession of a Sunfire 7 channel 200 watt amp (17" version). Now of course I need a pre/pro to use it. I dont think there is a way to use my budget Panny receiver as one. Naturally i will look for a Sunfire product, but what other suggestions would this august forum have to offer? My desire is for a standard width (17-17 1/2") unit with a moving magnet phono input. Cool running is a plus. Thanks.

O.T.

A Sunfire pre-pro would be a great match and Outlaw is a quality brand also (my brother has an Outlaw setup) but my preference would be an Aragon Stage One. You can still find them new if you look around and if you want used I'd try Audiogon.

Best of Luck!

So far looking at Outlaw it seems there is no phono input? Right now my set-up is combined for multi-purpose use with no real space to split the turntable to a separate system, and in trying to keep it simple I would rather not get into the outboard phono pre-amp game.

I just looked at my Outlaw 990 manual. I don't use a phono but it says:

Pg 9 #24 Phono input and ground connector

Use these to connect a record player equipped with a moving-magnet cartridge.

My 990 in an open rack never gets hot, just slightly warm. It is fairly large though.

28lbs 17.38W x 7.75H x 17.75D

Lexicon's don't have a phono input. You will be much more limited in pre-pros if you eliminate all the units that don't have a phono stage.

You would almost certainly get better performance from an external phono stage and it opens up a lot more possibilities with regards to both cartridges (variable loading/gain in phono stages) as well as more options for pre-pros too.

Shawn

Hey I hear ya. I am also limiting myself by looking for a normal shelf sized unit it seems. It's a matter of space and waf issues, and cost. Are these seperate phono pre-amps small enough to stash out of the way and how much does a good one set me back? Remember I am just running a Technics sl-d2 with an audio technica mm cart and shibata stylus, nothing fancy.

"Are these seperate phono pre-amps small enough to stash out of the way and how much does a good one set me back?"

Some of them are, some of them aren't. If you are just looking for minimal use something like:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2541471&cp=&sr=1&origkw=phono+pre-amp&kw=phono+pre-amp&parentPage=search

Might get the job done. It probably is no worse then what would be built into any pre-pros you might be looking at.

For a little more money you would have options such as:

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=1CA540P

or

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=2PAZPHONO

and so on and so forth. You can end up spending big money on phone stages but they would typically be used in top end vinyl setups.

Good luck,

Shawn

P.S. If you end up considering Lexicon I have a near mint fully loaded DD/DTS v4 24bit Lexicon DC-1 with my 8 channel analog bypass upgrade on ebay right now.