Military Jets, any DVDs out there?

flannj

There's always the movie Top Gun. Some excellent air to air shots and the movies opening carrier launch sequence is pretty good as a demo.

Yeah, but then I've got to deal with "Maverick" and "Goose" and "Iceman" and "Viper" and Kelly McGillis as an astrophysicist.

I wouldn't want to put my poor HT through that kind of torture.

Oh God, I almost forgot.... Kenny Loggins.

Now I've got that stupid song in my head.

- Jim

The sound of fighter jets couldn't be any better in my house. No matter what equipment or speakers you got! Literally. I live on an Air Force fighter jet base, and get the joy of hearing those jet engines shake our home, and wake our baby boy up every time! That's the sound of freedom though.

Speaking of the sound of freedom, let you share a little story of a friend of mine at my flying club shared with me.

He was a young boy, something like 5 or 6 twords the end of WW2 living in Chezk, or Yugo, one of those counties that were occupied by Germany for most of the war. Every night when he went to bed, he was affraid his house would be bombed. I can only imagine his feer, thinking of my children's feer of thunderstorms and how much worse this must have been living through bombings. Anyway, once his city was liberated by the Americans, he could hear the sound of P51 mustangs taking off at the airstrip at the end of town. When he heard that sound, he could finally sleep soundly knowing he and his family was finally safe.

Most people think the sound of the V12 RR merlin engine sounds cool as it has a very distinct sound. Next time you hear one, think of my friend Nicolas, and what that sound of freedom means to him.

Keep em flying.

JM

My cousin, an airplane nut, suggested you might try the Red Bull air race series website, they might have something. Not jets, but high performance prop aircraft. The Reno air races might also have something. I know those are some bad-*** airplanes. A P-51 with a 3500+ hp V-12 Rolls-Royce driving a prop is effing cool.

I have some cool ones of our weapons and gatling guns in action in the field, I work for General Dynamics Armament and Techical Products. If you have never seen an A-10 II tank buster in action you don't know what you are missing. The 30mm gatling gun is ours. Talk about realistic - whew!

If you saw the first Under Siege and saw the Phalynx weapon (downing the approaching jet) in action that is one of our as well.

I have some cool ones of our weapons and gatling guns in action in the field, I work for General Dynamics Armament and Techical Products. If you have never seen an A-10 II tank buster in action you don't know what you are missing. The 30mm gatling gun is ours. Talk about realistic - whew!

If you saw the first Under Siege and saw the Phalynx weapon (downing the approaching jet) in action that is one of our as well.

The "Warthog" is an amazing plane. Slow, low, and deadly. I have seen some videos of the 30mm cannon and the damge it does. Is it true this plane is being phased out?

Also in the incredible firepower catagory would be the AC-130 Gunships.

My cousin, an airplane nut, suggested you might try the Red Bull air race series website, they might have something. Not jets, but high performance prop aircraft. The Reno air races might also have something. I know those are some bad-*** airplanes. A P-51 with a 3500+ hp V-12 Rolls-Royce driving a prop is effing cool.

About 20 years ago I had the opportunity to be at a small airstrip where a P-51 was giving a demonstration. The sound of that engine with that monster prop (it looks oversized on a fighter) is very unique. I can still remember exactly what it sounded like. Deep, powerful, and smooth.

About 20 years ago I had the opportunity to be at a small airstrip where a P-51 was giving a demonstration. The sound of that engine with that monster prop (it looks oversized on a fighter) is very unique. I can still remember exactly what it sounded like. Deep, powerful, and smooth.

Yah, we just had an airshow here in Lincoln, NE a few months ago. They had an F-16 and a P-51 flying formation around the field, and you could hear each one distinctly. I was off the end of the runway about 1/4 mile, and they came directly overhead in a climbing turn. Amazing. I hate to say it folks, but I don't think there's any sound system that can truly do justice to them.

That 30mm cannon on the A-10 is an awesome weapon. My cousin worked out at Duncan Aviation for a while, and he'd call me about once a week and be gushing about this plane or that one that was on the ramp. I went out there after work quite a few times, and we'd walk out to look at this or that. There happened to be an A-10 on the line one time, and when I walked up to it, I was absolutely eye-to-eye with the cannon (I'm 6'-6.5"). That's a big hole. I can picture the design phase of the plane - "Hey, look at this cannon. Let's put wings on it!." The gold-plated logo on the seatbelt latches on the Coca-Cola Lear were cool too, but in a different way.

All Aviation nuts need to do a Pilgrimage to the EAA Airventure the last week in July at Oshkosh at some time in there life. Every year there are less and less warbirds. 20 years ago there would be 75 mustangs. Last year I would say there was 12.

If you want to see warthogs in action, visit the hardwood range in central Wisconsin. It is a live ammunition range that is open to the pubic. Seeing a warthog come over the treetops, drop down and nail a tank is so very impressive. Those cannons fire un godly fast, sounds like a low pitch burp. The A10 needs those huge engines to keep the plane from stalling when they fire those cannons as the back pressure could actually stop the jet.

JM

If you want to see warthogs in action, visit the hardwood range in central Wisconsin. It is a live ammunition range that is open to the pubic. Seeing a warthog come over the treetops, drop down and nail a tank is so very impressive. Those cannons fire un godly fast, sounds like a low pitch burp. The A10 needs those huge engines to keep the plane from stalling when they fire those cannons as the back pressure could actually stop the jet.

JM

Does Puff the Magic Dragon ever stop by?