HK-430 Revisited + Cornwalls + La Scalas

dkalsi

Sounds like you've done VERY well so far.

Yes, Cornwalls dig a bit deeper on bass, but LaScallas have an absolute killer midrange. They complement each other very well.

B&K amps go very well with the signature Klipsch sound. Don't be afraid to buy used. B&K is pretty much bullet proof & built in the US of A.

James

You want to wake up your speakers?.....NOSvavled Scott's will do it...I know this for a fact.....I've been TUBED ......I'll even go as far as saying, the La Scala's will out do the Cornwalls with the Scott..............You still did REAL GOOD on your buying......now, put some icing on the cake.....EH !!!!!

Quick Question:

Someone local is selling a Marantaz - 1060 vintage intergrated amp in supposedly 100% condition. I wantedt to know if its worth the try to hook it up with the La Scalas which are sitting idle.

The marantz is for 80 bucks (not too bad - and ofcourse I will eventually go to a more expensive tube setup ).... Please let me know.

Triceraptos,

Thanks you so very much for your suggestions. I will definately look into the amps you suggested. One thing for sure, I do not think I will ever sell my cornwall now, I think they will go down with me. The La Scala, I am planing on keeping them for a long time as well, I just think I need to experiment with the type of equipement to go along with them. Furthermore, I think, at least for my taste, I will definately have to supplement the La Scalas with a sub. I plan on building my own subwoofer with TC Sound drivers to match perfectly with the La Scalas. I am NOT a Bass freak, I just think it has to be there and the La Scalas, if I am not mistaken, are tunes down to only 50hz.

In regards to the Cornwalls, I just finishes refinishing the with red mahogany stain and four coats of polyurathane....and I know people will yell at me for tampering with perfection, I did round the edges (just very very barely) with a router. ---> I had to, for wifey ( I mean two Klipsch purchases in one week. She really like the finish.

1) Furthermore, I am planning on replacing the woofers in my cornwall with the new cast frame ones from bob.....The ones I have now are 100% functional...They are perfect....the only reason for change is because on one of the woofers, the surface is a little scratched and the dust cap is push in......Now, since i change one, i have to change the other. The thing is that my Cornwall's have never been opened...this is going to be a first...this will also be an opportunity to see if all damping material in intact or if it has deteriorated with time...... I have already placed the order for the new woofers....but what do you guys say....should i replace them???? They sound perfect now, this is going to be more for cosmetic reasons. I've been told that the bass response on the new woofers is a little better.

And lastly, there is a MARANTZ 300DC power amplifier for sale on e-bay locally. The seller says I can arrange for a local pick up (this gives me a little price flexability compared to other buyers).....any opinions on the Marantz?

Thanks you all for commenting.

Congrats on both your Cornwalls and LaScalas. I know that you said you probably would be keeping the LaScalas (and are certainly keeping the Corns), but if you ever think about ditching the LaScalas, you need to try taking down the top end of the speaker - and giving them a go before you do so. Sure, the LaScalas only go down to 50 hz, but they do make tight bass that you can actually hear once the top end (both squawker and tweeter) is brought down dbs to match the bass bin - thereby balancing out the speaker. Some aftermarket crossovers have adjustable taps to take the squawker down in volume or there have been threads in here explaining which how to disconnect the various taps on the stock networks and trying different options to lower those volume levels. Alternatively, you could always pick up some L-pads, put in a resistor, or some attentuators to bring the top end down.

Again, congrats and happy listening. You are hooked now for sure...........

Carl.

Just a follow up.... I tried the Nakamichi TA-2 with me cornwalls (with new Bob C. cast frame woofers)...amazing....love it. I have yet to try it with the La Scalas.... to me personally...the difference between the sonic impact T to the Nakamichi was unbelievable.... .I got the Nakamichi for not too much of a steep price ($50).

Just out of curiosity....how loud can the cornwalls go before there is any threat to blow the woofers.... I dont plan on doing this...but I would like to know the limit.

dkalsi,

Another great score on the Nakamichi TA-2 for $50. In my opinion it's right up there in "bang for the buck" with the HK 430 twin power receiver.

Regarding volume--use caution. One of the concerns that some folks have about Klipsch speakers is they can play very loud with minimal distortion. It turns out that distortion is one of those auditory cues we use to know when the music is too loud! So be careful, exercise moderation, and every once in a while when the house is empty--crank it way up!

triceratops

Quick Question:

Someone local is selling a Marantaz - 1060 vintage intergrated amp in supposedly 100% condition. I wantedt to know if its worth the try to hook it up with the La Scalas which are sitting idle.

The marantz is for 80 bucks (not too bad - and ofcourse I will eventually go to a more expensive tube setup ).... Please let me know.

Did you buy this yet? Well worth $80.00............Marantz and Klipsch are a good mate..............

I did pick up the Marantz 1060 for $65 after negociating for It was missing the jumpers between pre out and main in......it is in superb condidtion. I have not hooked it up to the la scalas but will post as soon as I get a chance....

My la scalas, are just sitting there for now. There is no space to place them. We are getting sunroom built and thats where I plan on moving them....

Most Importantly - thank you all for your suggestions, and input. I could not be more happier with my cornwalls, la scalas, and my nakamichi+marantz.