How much corner do you need for Khorns?

Ludovico

If I read the question correctly, it is just how much free wall do you need to get a seal. I think that is down around 36 inches from the corner, measured along the wall. Maybe a bit less. Someone here can step up and give an accurate number.

I don't know if the Telephone Building in Hope is still set up as a museum. There a window with a sill projecting into the room was trimmed off to allow placement in the corner. Not that I'm suggesting that is your situation or solution.

One illustration from long ago suggested that 48 inches or so was needed (hoped for) in the case there was an open door. Also, the false walls set up by PWK indeed seemed to be based on a standard sheet of plywood or drywall.

The main issue is completing the rear wall of the K-Horn up to the speaker grills (that 36 inch number I'm stating) and getting a good seal with the help of pipe insulation or the like.

The K-Horns do rely on a good room for optimum results. But they are so remarkable that you might well find good results in a compromised situation. Many people have.

A closed window or two might not hurt very much. What is a good room for the K-Horn relies very much on room size, the use of the longer wall, and other factors which are difficult to predict. Some of the old publications by PWK show that he himself had some sub optimal rooms and still got good performance.

Gil

The question seems to be how far away does a window need to be from the corner for a K-horn to slide fully into place. The tricky thing is that window moldings and sills projecting out from the wall can keep it from doing that if they are too close to the corner.

As I recall, the K-horn completely butts up against the wall for 22 inches from the corner. Beyond that, its geometry slopes rapidly away from the wall, so a molding 24" from the corner might be OK but a deep sill that projects well into the room might not. I can guarantee a problem if the moldings are less than 22" from the corner. Heat registers and pipes in or near the corner can also present a variety of problems.

Larry

The top board of a klipschorn is pentagonal. What are the dimensions of the sides that touch the wall?

22" -- as I tried to say (not very clearly) above. What I also tried to say is that you're not automatically home free at 22", because the side slopes away at a 45-deg. angle beyond that. So, a window sill that extends 2"-3" into the room will still interfere if it's too close, e.g., only 24" from the corner.

Larry

Also: do khorns perform better in frame houses than in brick houses? Better bass extension perhaps?

Thanks!

Hmmm, better? Different maybe. I've had my Khorns in a frame house on wood floors with a basement below. The bass presentation was full but lacked a bit in ultimate tightness. Now they're on a slab in a brick house. The bass presentation is leaner but tighter and more extended (to my ears anyway)

• Moderators

Ludovico:

I am an "expert" about the diminsions in terms of corners and windows. As you can see from the photo below, my lett speaker had a window to both the left and the right. I had to file down a corner of the molding on each window to get them in place so I can tell you the exact diminsions you will have to contend with. I have blinds, and with the blinds closed (down) you cannot tell any difference in the bass, with a solid wall. With the blinds up there is a bit of a suckout and the bass drops a bit. If you shoot me an email I will be happy to send you the exact diminsions. I will also post them on here at the same time.

Travis

post-15134-13819326160746_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

The top board of a klipschorn is pentagonal. What are the dimensions of the sides that touch the wall?

22" -- as I tried to say (not very clearly) above. What I also tried to say is that you're not automatically home free at 22", because the side slopes away at a 45-deg. angle beyond that. So, a window sill that extends 2"-3" into the room will still interfere if it's too close, e.g., only 24" from the corner.

Larry

Ludovico,

Larry is exactly right, it is 22" that is the first measurement you need to deal with. Then the next thing is you need to know where the molding (if any) starts from the corner, and how far it sticks out from the wall. As I mentioned, even though I had room between the edge of the speaker and the window, I still had to file off the corner of each molding to fit the speakers into the corner. Currently, the corner of the molding fits right up against the grill cloth of the bass bin portion of the speaker.

Travis