special order ?

seti

Is there by any chance a special order price for adding side grills to the jubilee? Or how about adding cherry or walnut veneer to the Jubilee LF? I was going to ask if there was a special order price list but I guess that would not be much of a special order then : )

Sounds like the start of a good thread......how much for a mini version in rosewood and black grills....low profile horn system....with a khorn like top section

Is there by any chance a special order price for adding side grills to the jubilee? Or how about adding cherry or walnut veneer to the Jubilee LF? I was going to ask if there was a special order price list but I guess that would not be much of a special order then : )

From my chats with Roy (and maybe he'll correct me if I'm too astray), it's ultimately all about money. I asked him once about grills and as I recall, they take the 'order', do a work up sheet on how much, the order gets approved or denied (by the buyer) and they go from there.

As for finishes... they can do it in one of their stock finishes and again... it's just a function of $$$$

I explored the talk about grills a bit further because the Jube bin in Hope has different "corners" than mine does. I was curious as it seemes the one in Hope has the entire corner of it as a grill. Sort of a triangular grill. I don't recall all that Roy said but my memory says any grill they made would not be identical to the one like I saw in Hope. It would be more of an external mount (rather than fit flush inside the mouth opening). Since it fit on the outer edge of the mouth opening, it would "raise the plane" so to say. meaning (as I understand it...) it would give you the opportunity to add another layer to the front of the bin so you'd have an even outer face. Sort of like adding a 3/4" thick grill would then give you a 3/4" area between the grills to fill in.

I don't know if that makes sense...I also don't know if I understood Roy correctly. So, I've got an idea...

Roy...if you are reading this: Do you have a schematic that the factory would go by and if you do, would you be permitted to post it so all of us dummies could better understand how you'd fit the puzzle together? (surely you have already designed the potential grill as contrasted with designing nothing and just waiting for an order to put your pencil to it??)

Also... if someone orderded Jubilees from the factory WITH grills...would they (bass bins) look exactly like mine and the grill stand out a bit, or would the factory make them more like the triangle pieces I noticed on the one in Hope?

UPDATE: I think I've got it... look closely at the picture. Notice the hole inside the mouth on the roof/floor. My guess is the grill has two 'posts' that slip into these holes to hold the grill into place??!!

This picture is not the same one I've got at work that shows the triangluar looking grills. The unit looks like the same unit though, so perhaps it WAS a triangular piece on top just to lay across the top? To see the holes, I had to zoom in on the picture.

Roy, if those holes aren't for some kind of dowel, then what are they for on that version?

post-15072-13819326448136_thumb.jpg

I think you are making it more complicated than I intended.

The special order veneer should be pretty straight forward if it is in stock Walnut or Cherry. What would the addon price be for walnut or cherry veneer?

As for the grills I wasn't thinking of the Jubilees pictured above as they seem to be a slightly different construction from the pro line. Custom grills seem to be abit more tricky than just adding veneer since this would be a design issue not just adding veneer to designed and approved product. I would think small grills like on the side of the khorns only attached just inside of the jubilee horn mouth would be a good idea but I would ultimately trust that design to the experts in Hope.

I think you are making it more complicated than I intended.

I'm good at that [;)]

The special order veneer should be pretty straight forward if it is in stock Walnut or Cherry. What would the addon price be for walnut or cherry veneer?

I'd email Chuckie Chuck chuck.mulhearn@klipsch.com and see what he might have to say. He's the first stop along the road of a Jubilee purchase.

As for the grills I wasn't thinking of the Jubilees pictured above as they seem to be a slightly different construction from the pro line. Custom grills seem to be abit more tricky than just adding veneer since this would be a design issue not just adding veneer to designed and approved product. I would think small grills like on the side of the khorns only attached just inside of the jubilee horn mouth would be a good idea but I would ultimately trust that design to the experts in Hope.

The bins might be different. The more I look at the pictures though, the more I wonder if that's not the same unit. Take the top picture with the black surface on the top of it. Note the 3/4" extended front panel? Now look at the second pic. Go back to the first pic (am I making it more complicated yet??!! [;)] )

Anyway, go back to the first pic and then ADD an imaginary 3/4" panel on top and add a 3/4" panel over the mouth of the horn with fabric on it. The mouth panels would also have a 3/4" top, made to help hold the pretty panel in place.

Point being... by my estimation, the top pic looks like the unit sitting in my living room and the bottom unit clearly doesn't. If they're the same unit then I'd guess that I could make mine look similar to these?

Experts in Hope??? bahhhhhh....what do they know? all they know how to make is plug ugly boxes!! [6]

For anyone interested here are a few more pictures of the Jubilee in the museum.

I believe it wouldn't be that complicated to dress the Jubilee up if a person wanted to do so.

In this one's case it looks like the panels and grilles were added to dress it up and I see no reason why the commercial one couldn't be done this way again if a person wanted to do so.

mike tn

post-14473-13819326485226_thumb.jpg

I emailed Roy about the grills on the unit shown above and what would be received for the plug ugly versions like I have.

His answer described how they made the above unit and then his assessment as to how they'd make "aftermarket" (my word) grills for folks like me.

His response was:

It is a one piece grill that snaps into the top of the top panel and the top of the bottom panel. The hf horn board fit in between the two grills and finished out the top look. On the front, we added a cosmetic panel that matched up with the grills and finished the front look. If we were to do a grill for the cinema version, it would be a simple flat grill that would attach to the ends of the top and bottom panels using neo magnets. That would be my guess.

He went on to make something else clear and I edited it just a tad. I asked him if I could share the above answer and he said:

Ok, but include that this is NOT a production item. I don't (edit: want) people to think that we have these grills off the shelf.

So it would seem that the grill could be made and that the grill would be the basic dimensions of the mouth opening, say 6"x30" (I just made those dimensions up). The factory grills would NOT include the top tray piece as shown in the above picture, nor would they mount the same way as shown above. Seems I was right about the holes on the top/bottom of the opening as to those holes being mounting points.

I've also emailed Chuckie Chuck and asked him "approximately" how much it would cost to have grills made. He said to give him several days to find out...seems he's out of town. (the nerve!! [6])