Big power Vintage

modoc48

Hi everyboby, Shopping for a "musical big power vintage reciver" like a Pioneer 1980, 1250, 1280, Marantz,etc. Anything but a finger nails on a chaulkboard Yamaha. Used soley for albums & cd's any ideas, also a good mlti-disc cd changer 100+. Thanks for any thoughts.

Well, unless a reciever is a must, check into a Pioneer M-22.   I had one that was stock, and even after 30 years, was an amazing sounding piece of equipment.  Pure class A from end to end and a signal to noise ratio of 106 db.

The SX-1050 was the first piece of equipment I bought myself when I got to germany, as you can see I had a little techniques SL-23 belt drive table with a Ortofon OM-10 Cartridge on it. I really liked the sound enhancements of EQ's back then so I got that sweet little Pioneer SG-9500 EQ and of course that ELO album is sitting a pair of Advent largers which were (before I heard the Jubs) my favorite pair of 2 way speaks and heck they have only moved into second place and that ain't bad[:P]

Before I returned stateside I sold the EQ, bought an Aiwa 3 head cassette (6550 I believe), Added a Teac RtoR, changed the table out to a Thorens TD-115 (notice my signature of current table[:D]) and added a pair of JBL L-36's to the mix. I wish that I still had the whole rig but I'm not in too bad a shape[;)]

The guy I sold the SX-1050 too in West texas is still running maintenace free to this day[:P] What's the old saying, "They sure don't build'em like they used too"!

What do you define as "big power" ?

Tubes or solid state?

I'm going to assume tubes for true "vintage" sound

I'm a huge fan of the Harman Kardon Citation 2 as a "big power" tube amp

4x KT88 in Push Pull rated (and quite conservatively IMO) at 60 watts per channel and weighing in at 70 lbs!

It's the Chocolate Monster!!

Combining this amp with Heritage speakers is sure to loosen up a few kidney stones!

JMO

WopOnTour

post-19879-13819329475118_thumb.jpg

Since you keep asking about Sansui.... AU-919's; they were pretty much the final word in Sansui's pro series until replaced by the X-1; Very respectable 0.008 THD, IMD; 115 rated WPC/RMS (although mine seem to have settled in at 121 watts). The sales pitch in Germany was the parking lot of the Berlin Audio Club with free beer. They hooked up a pair of their monster 5 ways, cranked them up to max and just let them run full blast for over an hour, then took orders from us wealthy soldiers.... But then again, after Pink Floyd Meddle and a few brews, maybe anything would sound good. The sales rep hooked them up to a pair of demo BB Klipschorns they had dragged downstairs to the courtyard one day and that's how I got hooked on Klipsch. He got in trouble for not using Sansui speakers with the amps, oh well....

Interesting: NO loudness switch (the Sansui engineers were very confident...) I've got a bunch of them and use them on K'horns, LS's, CW's, H's, etc. Don't use any tone controls, no bass, no treble, no mid; tone switch has been on defeat so long it's dusty; just runnem' straight flat and they will rattle the neighbor's dog's chain. The bass is there with no doubt whatsoever... They are an attractive black and usually have the rack handles (more decorative than functional).

They are around, and you can find them for between ~$375 - $525. As with any "vintage", unless you get something from a forum member... It's likely they will need a tune-up, oil changed, etc. I use Warren Bendler or Tim Schwartz (I'm SS repairs impaired...). Stay away from the children of the lesser Sansui gods (717's, etc.) they are usually trashed from 30+ years of abuse.

Just a thought....

What about vintage Marantz or Sansui ?

Maybe 25 years ago I owned a Marantz 30 watt receiver and it too had a very "warmish" sound. Once you hear what I'm talking about it won't soon be forgotten as it is a very pleasing sound, far from brittle and fatiguing.

Give something a try and let us know what you think.

I heard that the harman kardon twin powered receivers like the avr430 or avr730 are a really good match for klipsch. Just make sure in the search it's not the new models. I like my pioneer sx-980 but after listening to tubes it's just way too bright and forward for me, but it all depends on one's own ears.

Thank you all very much. That is where i am at love my friends 1250 but havent convinced him to bring it over to test fly on my Legends. Really want to hear them 20's sing to me. I can only go about a 1/2 hour with the Yamaha and my ears start to bleed, my wife on the other hand loves that bright sound. I respect all your opinions very much so i think maybe #1 Pioneer #2 Marantz and now Sansui.