QSC PLX 1104 Question

Ragamyers

Hello, everyone.

I've ordered a QSC PLX 1104 which I have found out since does not support a 2-ohm load. I'm trying to power my RF-7's for music and occasional HT. Is this no 2-ohm thing a significant problem?

Should I return it and reorder one of the models that does have 2-ohm or should I just hook it up and go?

THANKS for any help you could give me on this.

I don't even know what the difference between 2-ohm, 4-ohm, or 8-ohm is. Just curious as to whether not having 2-ohm would be a problem with this amp and the RF-7. Sounds like there's no problem at all. I have an Acurus 3x200 to run my RC-7 and my RF-5 surrounds. I hope my world is indeed rocked. Thanks.

Well....you need to look at a couple of other things too. The amp is a pro amp and has a lower input impedance than home audio equipment. As long as your preamp gets along with it you will be OK. Most report really good performance from the QSC amps in home use, and minimal if any compatibility issues. The only other issue I had was the speaker on output connections. I didn't mind the XLR or 1/4" inputs.

Hello Ragameyers,

I am having a used QSC 1202 delivered to me as I type this eMail. A few days ago I sent away for one that puts out 200 watts per 8 ohms and am very anxious to give it a whirl. I really can't answer your question but I will make a post if this amp works well for me and my 7's.

Hello, everyone.

I've ordered a QSC PLX 1104 which I have found out since does not support a 2-ohm load. I'm trying to power my RF-7's for music and occasional HT. Is this no 2-ohm thing a significant problem?

Hi Ragamyers,

I am seriously considering getting a Qsc PLX II 1802 because of what some have said about the impendence drop on the RF-7's. I admit I have no idea if the price difference is worth it or even if I would notice the difference in the "02" or "04" amps. That being said, I have been thrilled with the performance of my Denon AVR 4802R and haven't felt I have been missing anything. When I get it back from the shop I am going to try a 2 channel amp using my Denon as a Pre-Amp.

I would be interested to hear folk's opinion if the 1802 would be a noticeable upgrade to the 1804 (or plx 1104).[:^)]

PLX II "04" model.... well.... I would hesitate to say you will be safe for running it, but you can add about 30 percent to the measured DCR to get an estimate of the impedance. You could use a multimeter and unhook the gold jumper straps from both sets of posts on one speaker and measure the DC resistance of the woofer section. It will rise as the voice coils heat up. 2.8 ohms impedance ocurrs at only one frequency, and most of the time it is well above that!

Realize though that most people run these with a gamut of different amplifiers, some tubes, some ss amps, some receivers, even some chip amp people out there. It does have a warranty, and QSC makes very reliable product. If a $ 299 receiver can drive them adequately, I am sure that the QSC will as well.

Do you have cables yet to connect this to your Denon? If not get a pair of cables or adapters from a local guitar / pro audio shop that have RCA on one end and 1/4" mono plugs on the other. With my Marantz receiver I had to turn the gains on my 3102 to -5 db to achieve full output on the PLX amp. You may want to get some Speakons at the same time.

Realize though that most people run these with a gamut of different amplifiers, some tubes, some ss amps, some receivers, even some chip amp people out there. It does have a warranty, and QSC makes very reliable product. If a $ 299 receiver can drive them adequately, I am sure that the QSC will as well.

Do you have cables yet to connect this to your Denon?

I am not sure if this was a response to me but the Denon AVR 4802R is a $2000, THX ultra II AVR @ 135 watts per channel. I appreciate the info on where to get the cables. [Y]