Jurrasic Park III

Kilowatter

This movie is pretty much J.P. standard fare; people running and dinosaurs eating them.cwm1.gif

The DTS sound track is very good with lots of bass and wide dynamics. The best part for me personally is the format is full screen.

On a scale of 1 to 10 I'd give it a 7. A good movie to add to your collection.

------------------

Denon AVR-3802

Tangent 5000 mains

Tangent 1000 rears

Tangent Center Theater

Sanyo DS31590 31" TV

Panasonic A120U DVD

Sony SLV-N71 Hi-Fi VCR

RCA Satellite System

I would give it a 6... just because it looked cool. Seems that they were just in need of some money, starving artists i guess Smile.gif Too simply predictable to me.

------------------

-justin

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150

God I thought this movie "licked da tip"! The dinos looked like crap! They looked better 10 years ago. The DTS soundtrack was really good though. Especially the scene where the airplane fuselage was being rolled around. I got a little dizzy there.

------------------

Outlaw 1050 A/V Receiver

Rega P3 Turntable

AMC CD8b CD Player

Toshiba 3108 DVD Player

Klipsch KG 4.2s(main)

2 Dynaco A-10/V IIs(centers)

Cerwin Vega E-706s(rears)

Cerwin Vega LW-12(sub)

Parasound PPH-100 Phono Preamp

Vampire Wire Digital Interconnects & Speaker Wire

• 2 weeks later...

quote:

Originally posted by matthew2:

Kilowatter, what do you mean the format is in full screen? I hate movie's in 4:3. Is the DVD able to go into letterobx?

The version I purchased is full screen. It is also available in widescreen. I am just the opposite and dislike the letterbox format on my 31" Sanyo.

------------------

Denon AVR-3802

Tangent 5000 mains

Tangent 1000 rears

Tangent Center Theater

Sanyo DS31590 31" TV

Panasonic A120U DVD

Sony SLV-N71 Hi-Fi VCR

RCA Satellite System

Kilowatter, are you new to DVD? I think a lot of people (myself included) hate Letterbox when they first start watching DVD's. Then they get used to it and wouldn't watch them any other way. When I have a choice between widescreen and full frame, I always choose widescreen (except Bugs Life). Most everyone I've talked to feels the same way. I now have a widescreen TV though, so of course I only go for widescreen now, but I've only had the TV a week.

No, not really "new" to DVD. I've had the player for over a year and we have about 90 DVDs in our collection so far. (fiance loves her Ebay cwm4.gif )

I just personally don't like that format. It feels like I'm watching TV from a pill box. I suspect that 90% of the households have 4:3 aspect TVs, yet hollyweird insists on releasing new movies in letterbox format only. Why? Some of the DVDs I have are dual sided w/ both formats. Whay not make them all that way so we have a choice. The dual sided DVDs are the same price, so that isn't a issue. I guess I just don't like the idea that if I want the high quality audio and video of DVD, I have to put up with the wide screen format when it isn't neccessary.

------------------

Denon AVR-3802

Tangent 5000 mains

Tangent 1000 rears

Tangent Center Theater

Sanyo DS31590 31" TV

Panasonic A120U DVD

Sony SLV-N71 Hi-Fi VCR

RCA Satellite System

Hey, I wouldn't complain if your fiance loves her ebay. At least you aren't the one shelling out the cash (or maybe you are??) The widescreen vs. Pan and Scan debate has been going on for a long time. First of all, I don't think anyone could've predicted the overwhelming success the DVD format has become. Home theater buffs in the past used Laserdisc, and it was a very small part of the population who owned them. Widescreen was the prefferred method of presentation for these enthusiasts. Now that DVD has become a household word, maybe the mainstream would prefer to have the option of choice. Had they known in the beginning how big DVD would become, I have no doubt they would've made more movies in the Pan and Scan format. But strangly enough, the public has accepted the new and different format, and I for one couldn't be happier. Eventually we will all have Widescreen TV's and it won't matter. You'll be glad that most of your DVD's aren't fullscreen at that time. Then you'll be complaining about those stupid bars on the sides of the TV. My argument is for widescreen it this--What good is the high quality video of DVD if you only get 75% of it? Would you replace your 5.1 system with 3.75(point)0.75? Imagine how cool it was to go to the theater and see a widescreen movie for the first time. It was something you had never seen before. I don't think anyone on this board was around when there was no TV, so the 4:3 format is nothing special. I can watch regular TV anytime. Try this...take one of your dual sided discs and compare the same scene. Notice all the stuff you're missing. Look at how people's heads are cropped, not only on the sides, but also at the top. Look at how the camera moves differently from the widescreen (original) version to the fullscreen (doctored) version. Take one of your DVD's that has director's commentary and listen to them talk about how they create certain moods. A lot of it has to do with movement of the camera, ambiance, etc. all of which you lose out on if you cut off a quarter of the picture. Imagine if you wrote a novel, and your editor told you that nobody will buy it unless you cut out 25% of the pages. That's what you're asking the artists who make films to do when you ask them to make their movies fit your TV screen. I'll get off my soapbox now. I hope you find my little rant a little bit enlightening. It may not change your mind, but I hope it will at least offer some insight as to why Widescreen Presentation is not the evil thing you make it out to be.

I agree completely. Letterboxed is how the director(artist) created his work so why should anyone watch it any other way? I work in a video store and you guys would not believe how naive people are when it comes to this. They think the opposite is true. They think the black bars are cutting off the top and bottom of the picture. They call and ask how to get rid of them. They return the movies and say something is wrong with them. I've heard it all. I've never watched a movie from inside of a pill box. That's pretty cool that it's letter-boxed from in there. :-)

------------------

Outlaw 1050 A/V Receiver

Rega P3 Turntable

AMC CD8b CD Player

Toshiba 3108 DVD Player

Klipsch KG 4.2s(main)

2 Dynaco A-10/V IIs(centers)

Cerwin Vega E-706s(rears)

Cerwin Vega LW-12(sub)

Parasound PPH-100 Phono Preamp

Vampire Wire Digital Interconnects & Speaker Wire

quote:

Originally posted by synthfreek:

I agree completely. Letterboxed is how the director(artist) created his work so why should anyone watch it any other way?

I've never watched a movie from inside of a pill box. That's pretty cool that it's letter-boxed from in there. :-)

I agree that letterbox isn't as much of a issue with larger screen TVs. The exception is a copy of "True Lies" that I have in which the letterbox is so extreme that the black "bars" take up approximately 1/2 of the screen. On my other widescreen movies I was able to eliminate most of the black bars by "lying" to my DVD player and telling it I have a widescreen TV. This narrows the bars down to about 2" top and bottom which is barely noticable.

As far as the pill box goes, I suspect that from inside one of those, the whole world is "letterboxed"!

pill box= slang for a reinforced concrete bunker with narrow, horizontal, viewing/firing ports.

------------------

Denon AVR-3802

Tangent 5000 mains

Tangent 1000 rears

Tangent Center Theater

Sanyo DS31590 31" TV

Panasonic A120U DVD

Sony SLV-N71 Hi-Fi VCR

RCA Satellite System

This message has been edited by Kilowatter on 12-28-2001 at 11:41 AM

I'll have to throw my $0.02 in with Justin and Kilowatter. Good sound track, especially in DTS, but the movie seemed very predictable and, to me, ended rather abruptly; poof, the Marines arrive and all is well. Not at all like JP, a much better movie.

I would disagree with synth, I thought the dinosaurs were excellent and well-done. The movie folks did their homework there.

Overall, a 6 is about the right grade. Worth a rent, or a gift, but I probably wouldn't go out and buy it.

• 3 weeks later...

A real movie lover wants wide screen. I do, my friends do. However, some of friends hate it!!! For some reason that pisses me off. They say, "why are the black bars on?" Stupid. There parents are worse!!!!

stupid VCR lovers.....

JP3 looked cool, but wasn't very good. I rented it, but would never buy it.

ps. Kilowatter has a sanyo TV. Lay off him a bit, he's been through enough......lol just kidding

------------------

Matthew

Gatta' love klipsch