Receiver recommendations please!

harmony monkey

We have four year old Klipsch Synergy surround system speakers: SC-1, (2) SF-2, (2) SS-1 and KSW-12. We've been very pleased with them.

We have digital cable and HDTV.

Our receiver neeeds to be replaced - I would appreciate any recommendations in the $1000 - $2000 range.

Our old receiver was THX certified. Is this advisable with our speakers?

Thanks in advance,

~harmony monkey

Is your receiver broken? What is it you want the receiver to do differently, functions. Don't get caught up with thx certification, anything suggested on this forum will have it covered. To give you basic brands liked here: Harman Kardon, Pioneer Elite, Yamaha, Denon.

Welcome btw.

Thanks -

Kenwood Soverign - sent back to Kenwood under warranty - they were unable to find anything wrong. Stops producing sound exactly one hour after it's turned on. Needs to be turned off, then on again and it's good for another hour! Recently it's started cutting out intermittently for 1 - 5 seconds several times each hour. All connections checked, new cables, etc. I've had it!

I just want something that will do justice to my speaker system!

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS! okay, now that we have met....

are you looking for all in one or separates? your budget can afford a good separate pair. i always recommend www.outlaw.com because they are cheap but very good. from my reading on this forum several people have them or at least recommend them. you can pick up a 990 used or even new for $1000. then for an amp, you don't need much and since we just spent half your budget, you can get a 7125 amp (125w per channel -7 channels). that is another question.....do you have a 5.1, 6.1 or 7.1? you can also pick up these units from www.audiogon.com. i look there often and you don't see outlaw that much and to me that seems like a good thing. if people are not selling their outlaw products, then at means they really like them and don't need to upgrade. that is just my own opinion.

if you want an all in one the brands mentioned before will do just fine. i still have a 6.1 tuner i bought around 9 years ago. i personally would stick with the good Yamaha and you can get one of those at any BB, CC, or Frys.

BTW, don't worry about THX certified, it doesn't matter unless you have the whole thx stuff, including the right room. just make sure it has dts or some series of dts. all the new stuff has all the settings you will need.

Getech,

Back for another hard sell Greg?

Yeah, he's a big hit on other audio forums also. I'm surprised he hasn't been banned at the Outlaw Saloon.

but ya know, he's harmless. He's like the poor loser who hits on a thousand girls and eventually gets a date.

note I did not say he (or she) was a loser. I'm sure he's a wonderful human being.

Welcome to the forum Harmony.

I know what you mean about being frustrated with your receiver. I'm going through the same thing with HK.
This is my third one and still not working, we are not here to whinne but to try to help you out.
Here's my 2 cents
 I use my system mostly for movies
My first receiver was a Kenwood THX VR 6070 which I had hooked up to RF 3II, my second receiver was a Yamaha RV-X 520 and the third one was a Denon 1602 my fourth receiver is a HK 645

They all sound pretty good and did a good job, but I liked the yamaha the most. Since it was a cheaper model it did not have much choices in speakers setting which should not be a problem if you get in the $ 1,000 range. The denon was not bad either just did not sound as good as the yamaha  to me. The HK had the clearest sound of the four and would probably be my first choice if I just could keep the thing working. Now besides the HK all the other receivers were pretty cheap and still did pretty good , you can hardly go wrong once you get in the $ 1,000 to $2,000 range.
No one can really tell you which one is the best because it is really a matter of what you like. You need to take the time and go try as many as you can, and it might even come down to the features you like.
I agree with inventor you might check out outlaw as well as Pionner ( they have come a long way in the last few years).

falcon, have you setting the problems with hk? i just feel so bad for you, having all this trouble. i think your idea of throwing it up in the air and shooting it would relieve some stress! you could also take a page out of the movies (Office Space) and take your revenge on the hk yourself! if you don't know what i am talking about -and please no one spoil it for him!- go out and rent the movie, it is one of the funnest movies made about "office workers."

well harmony there you have it. you have plenty of choices which should make the process of choosing very hard and tedious. once you enter the realm of $1000-$2000 everything is well made and has a good rep from someone. falcon suggested listening to several models, but keep in mind different stores will have them hooked up with different wires, cords, speakers, and the position of the speakers. all that effects the sound. maybe one week they need to "push" one model so they hook it up sounding really well, and the other models they some what hook them up. it is the same trick they use to sell tv's. to test if i am a liar or talking out my butt, go into any tv retailer and check the settings. you will find that they are not all the same. (the factory will set them different, what i mean is the store will then "adjust" them to suit their needs). i also know this because i had friends who worked at BB.

look for the deals on the good products and decide if you want seperates or all in one units, that will help narrow the field.

I don't feel that CC and Best Buy offer the best grade units, they offer less expensive units..........When you figure out what you ,want surf the net, Amazon.com has many vendors with some good prices..................After thought...........I noticed yesterday that the local TWEETERS store is going out of business, yeah, I'm glad, overpriced, false advertising snakes, oops, sorry about that outburst, I have issues with that store, anyway, everything 30% off, and you know it will go lower, maybe such a thing is happening in your area.....................YAMAHA's are nice....always liked my Kenwood stuff.............

no you are correct. but it is easier to walk in there and buy it and not have to worry about shipping or something like that. comp usais also going out of business and have 30% off stuff. i have never been to tweeder so i don't know their quality.